OT: replacement battery recommendation??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

OT: replacement battery recommendation??

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: the battery in my 2010 GMC Savana passenger van -- 5.3L Vortec engine -- is in need of replacement.

Who offers a good battery these days?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT: replacement battery recommendation??

Post by Blaine »

I'd drive up to the express service entrance of your favorite GM Dealer, and let them mess with it. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine: GMC quoted US$ 181.77 (inc. tax) for a 42 month warrantee non pro-rated replacement battery. Was not sure if that was a good price or not.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:Blaine: GMC quoted US$ 181.77 (inc. tax) for a 42 month warrantee non pro-rated replacement battery. Was not sure if that was a good price or not.
WOW :shock: Clearly, I have not bought a battery lately....

Les Schwab, maybe?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Batteries Plus advertises some sort of premium car/truck battery that my mechanic said was actually good and a decent price. It wasn't available at that time (a year ago) for my particular vehicle (John Deere tractor :D )...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You seldom get the best prices from the car dealers in my experience. Here we have Auto Zone, O'Reily's and a few other parts houses. Most offer free installation on batteries on the spot.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The closing of the last lead smelter in the US didn't just raise the price of ammunition.

I buy batteries from my local Carquest.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Auto batteries are one thing where "you get what you pay for". Cheap batteries have thinner plates (or less glass matting) and have a minimal life. Get a name brand and expect to pay a lot for it. You'll prolly be glad when you are 19.4 miles outta town, and cell service, and it's 3 degrees above zero, and your truck starts right up...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

mikld wrote:Auto batteries are one thing where "you get what you pay for". Cheap batteries have thinner plates (or less glass matting) and have a minimal life. Get a name brand and expect to pay a lot for it. You'll prolly be glad when you are 19.4 miles outta town, and cell service, and it's 3 degrees above zero, and your truck starts right up...

Exactly my opinion also. I usually buy the best battery that Sears has when in need of replacement.

Funny thing...my one Jeep Rubicon which I bought new in 2005 still has the SAME BATTERY that it came with. Granted, the Jeep does not get driven much...3K a year tops and is garage kept with a cover on it.

I tell ya...nothing burns my azz more than battery costs digging into my gun money.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Computers are saving batteries with perfectly regulating the charging voltage. Under, or overcharging will ruin a battery in a very short time. The new vehicles also have about 10,000 miles between oil changes, and MPGs that would have been impossible before. One Horse per cubic inch used to be The Holy Grail, now it's double or triple that on street cars that get fantastic mileage.....
I have to say, my Ram EcoDiesel 1500 with a 3 liter turbo diesel runs, and hauls nearly as good as a Hemi, and gets up to about 30mpg out on the road.....What comes out of the tailpipe is almost clean enough to breath. :wink: :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Blaine on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mikld wrote:Auto batteries are one thing where "you get what you pay for". Cheap batteries have thinner plates (or less glass matting) and have a minimal life. Get a name brand and expect to pay a lot for it. You'll prolly be glad when you are 19.4 miles outta town, and cell service, and it's 3 degrees above zero, and your truck starts right up...
I think all batteries are made by GNB to the seller's specs. I buy the highest CCA battery I can, because they usually have thicker plates that are less prone to break. You're looking at $110 or so at a Walmart. Autozone tends to be pricey around here for a lesser battery. I have bought OEM batteries before, but only when the dealer sold them to me for 50% MSRP, putting them more in line with Walmart prices. When you need a warranty adjustment on a battery, it's great to be near someone who will honor it. Walmart and dealerships are everywhere. Sears not as much as it used to be. And part stores (Autozone, Napa, O Reilly, Tractor Supply, Oerschelens, Atwood's. etc) tend to be more regional.

I usually get 6 to 7 years out of OEM batteries and Walmart's highest quality batteries. I never by the 24 month ones.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Interstate is what i always buy, Got one marine battery in my boat that has been in for 13 years, I pull it out in the winter and put it on floating trickle charge. I hear coppertop makes car batteries now and are suppose to be good. No walmart recycled batteries, pure junk!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I go to my local BiMart and buy the Exide batteries. $79 for an 84 month battery. All four of our vehicles have them in them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've had a Optima in my jeep for the last 12 years. It's done winching duty, sitting for long periods, and a lot of off-roading. I boosted a diesel pickup with it two weeks ago.
That said, it IS old, and I am in the woods alone a lot so it was time for a new one. Rumor is, the Optima's are made in Mexico now and are stuff.
All my research said that Odyssey is the hands down best battery you can get so that's what I dumped in my old Rubicon. It's sealed, has 1050CCA, and a 135min reserve. Not cheap (220 bucks), but I'd rather buy once, cry once than be left afoot.

With regular passenger vehicles I usually run the factory batteries. They don't cost much more, and I've never got less than ten years out of one.
The original Chrysler battery from my jeep was in my dad's old jeep and just died this spring. It was thirteen years old.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

When I was the parts manager at our local GM dealer, we always sold AC Delco, same as factory and lasted twice the off brand stuff. I only had 2 batteries in my '88 Beretta in 19 years, the original and one replacement. My current '07 Cobalt still has the original battery. I have an Odyessy in the bike, expensive but half the weight and better than anything else out there.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have been using Interstate batteries last few years. Been happy with them so far. In fact, bought two motorcycle batteries yesterday, from them.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Last time I needed a battery, I discovered that O'Reilly's and some other chains no longer have the pro-rated replacement warranty for a certain number of months anymore, just something like a 1 year free replacement warranty. However, NAPA still had the pro-rated warranty like everyone has had for many years, so I went with NAPA. Price was about the same.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Last time I needed battries for my truck, I found NAPA had the best warrantee & price. Group 31s are mot cheap, but with a 1 year free replacement then 42 prorated warrantee, plus better pricing than others, it was no contest. When I replaced the 10 year OEM battery in my dually, they were the only ones that could match the CCAs of the original. All the other places said that their "book" said it used a 650CCA when the original battery was clearly marked 770CCA! And since it's 1 of a pair, their solution to keep them matched was to sell me a pair of the lessor batteries! Stupid parts geeks!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

OldWin wrote:I've had a Optima in my jeep for the last 12 years. It's done winching duty, sitting for long periods, and a lot of off-roading. I boosted a diesel pickup with it two weeks ago.
That said, it IS old, and I am in the woods alone a lot so it was time for a new one. Rumor is, the Optima's are made in Mexico now and are stuff.
All my research said that Odyssey is the hands down best battery you can get so that's what I dumped in my old Rubicon. It's sealed, has 1050CCA, and a 135min reserve. Not cheap (220 bucks), but I'd rather buy once, cry once than be left afoot.

With regular passenger vehicles I usually run the factory batteries. They don't cost much more, and I've never got less than ten years out of one.
The original Chrysler battery from my jeep was in my dad's old jeep and just died this spring. It was thirteen years old.
The City of Los Angeles, Dept of Water and Power went to Optima batteries about 14 years ago. They were first touted as "deep cycle" but with a high CCR they went into every vehicle short of construction equipment (I had an emergency and I dropped 4 Optimas in a large hydro crane in place of 2 8Ds. Worked quite well). BTW, I occasionally found a dud from the factory with the other batteries (Interstate and Napa, etc.) but in 5 years using Optimas I found none...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to check what is in my my Camry. It is a 7 year old battery and still going pretty well. I have had better luck with the better quality batteries when I replace them. The best I ever had was bought at an automotive store in Liberal, KS in 1982 and it still worked great when I sold the car 18 years later. It was the first Gel battery that I had ever heard of.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins has the original batteries still in it, vehicle made in October of 2003. From working in a large motor pool many years ago, I feel that one brand is as good as another, I've seen 'em last 3 weeks, six months, 2 years, 10 years, regardless of brand, dang things are just gonna do what they are gonna do, no amount of second-guessing will change it.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Here in Arizona, if you get four years out of a Battery you are doing good. My best have been AC Delco. Worst; anything Johnson Controls makes, Sears included.
Have not tried an Optima.

Our Summer time heat is a killer on batteries.

Weather Guessers are predicting 120 degrees next week here in the Phoenix area.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
hkfrost
Levergunner

Post by hkfrost »

Costco carries Interstate batteries these days.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

M. M. Wright wrote:The closing of the last lead smelter in the US didn't just raise the price of ammunition.

I buy batteries from my local Carquest.

US sourced lead never was any cheaper than imported lead which is abundant.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"One Horse per cubic inch used to be The Holy Grail, now it's double or triple that on street cars that get fantastic mileage....."

Dream on! Street cars, economical or otherwise, are not getting 2-3 hp. per cubic inch.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have an Interstate dealer account for the solar batteries I use and sell, and I've used them in my trucks a couple times. My truck has two batteries and it gets down to -40 in winter so they get a workout running glow plugs and cranking over the diesel. I honestly can't tell the difference between the Interstate and WalMart, and Walmart is cheaper and easier to find when I need replacements.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30