Possible use for a Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Too loud!! WAY TOO LOUD! Would a 30 Carbine clean up to a 32-20? Now that's an idea that appeals to me..and would be a good buddy for my Browning 53. Just thinkin'.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Possible use for a Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The guys over at rugerforum.com say you can shoot .32-20 ammo in it without any modifications.
I believe this only works with new model Rugers though. The three screw guns wont chamber due to headspace issues by design of the cylinder. Loaded round overall length must suit the cylinder length.
.30 carbine ammo is factory loaded with slow powders for use in rifles. If loaded with faster powders more suitable for short barrels, the boom and flash is no worse than the .327 Fed. Or .32 mag.

You can do a search and read a lot about it at rugerforum.com .
Several of the guys here are members there also.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

As a trade-in.

I traded mine for a .357/9mm convertible.

Better!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

For a reloader a 30 carbine would make an absolutely wonderful 32/20 equivalent. Same case capacity (yeah, maybe slightly more) and stronger cases. That Blackhawk is only loud and obnoxious if you insist on using factory or factory-equivalent loads. Put a 32/20 load into that case and you have a 32/20.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Great info, guys. Thanks.. I may have to try to find one.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

After I opened the throats up, mine was a real shooter. I put 6 for 6 on a paper plate at 200 yards with it.

But about that time I finally found a Single Six .32 H&R, so I felt I no longer needed the .30 Carbine. A friend warned me about getting rid of it, saying that paper plates would haunt me. I had the gun converted to 500 Linebaugh by Dave Clements, it's easily my favorite handgun. But he was right, that group still haunts me. :lol:

Prior to that, I asked Mr. Clements about making it a .32-20, he said it wouldn't clean up the chamber. Apparently some smiths will do it, some won't.
Slow is just slow.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

I think Paco pulled his cylinder and sent gun back ruger for new cylinder. Then rebore
new cylinder to 32-20..I think??????
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote:For a reloader a 30 carbine would make an absolutely wonderful 32/20 equivalent. Same case capacity (yeah, maybe slightly more) and stronger cases. That Blackhawk is only loud and obnoxious if you insist on using factory or factory-equivalent loads. Put a 32/20 load into that case and you have a 32/20.
Yep.

They also have some 'conversions' on the market that have cylinders for both 32-20 and 30 Carbine, I believe. I know they do for 32-20 and 32 H&R Mag.

Here's a good thread on the topic from the CastBoolits forum... > Ruger-BH-30-to-32-20

Another article just on the 32-20 here - http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt3220.htm
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had one about 40 years ago. It was deafening. I wish I knew then what I know now. Mine also had really tight chambers that wouldn't even chamber all of a lot of G.I. ammo I bought. Reading this now makes me want one all over again.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

Put a 21" barrel on mine and it was still TOO LOUD!!! Traded the factory barrel to a gunsmith for a 357 cylinder, added a custom 357 barrel and it's much better!
Glenn
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You can use 32-20 brass, but I believe you have to shorten it just a bit. Then load like a 32-20. Solves any headspace issues. I then resize in a 32-20 die just enough to hold a bullet and enter the chamber.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As a hammer?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Use it for a camera flash!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I had one, I might make an extra cylinder specifically for 32-20, but you certainly could just load 'handgun' ammo for it, and enjoy it for what it is - a 30 ('32') caliber revolver of mid-power that can go from mild to wild. Some loads are barely more than 22 WMR (but cheaper if you use cast bullets), and others rival the hottest 357 Mag loads.

Probably one of the STRONGEST single-action revolvers there is, if you look at cylinder-wall thickness versus the chambering.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why fool with using 32-20 brass in a 30 carbine? Makes no sense unless you have a million 32-20's and need to get rid of the ammo.

I have an Old Model and I load the 30 carbine brass with 32-20 bullets sized down to .309. 5 grains of Unique behind a 115 gr. cast will keep you happy all day. 3 grains of Bullseye works great shooting in the pond at cans. A mess of 4227 or 2400 does wonders out to 200+ meters with a hard cast or the standard 110 jacketed.

No, it ain't no small game or big game cartridge as loaded by the factory. You gotta load for it to make it versatile as a small game cartridge or plinker. Bill Ruger brought it out in the sixties as many WW2 vets liked the M-1 Carbine and ammo was cheap.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Why fool with using 32-20 brass in a 30 carbine? Makes no sense unless you have a million 32-20's and need to get rid of the ammo.

I have an Old Model and I load the 30 carbine brass with 32-20 bullets sized down to .309. 5 grains of Unique behind a 115 gr. cast will keep you happy all day. 3 grains of Bullseye works great shooting in the pond at cans. A mess of 4227 or 2400 does wonders out to 200+ meters with a hard cast or the standard 110 jacketed.

No, it ain't no small game or big game cartridge as loaded by the factory. You gotta load for it to make it versatile as a small game cartridge or plinker. Bill Ruger brought it out in the sixties as many WW2 vets liked the M-1 Carbine and ammo was cheap.----6
Well... thanks Cap't Obvious. :P :lol: I figured this thread for OTHER uses of the specified revolver!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Colonel Obvious......your good at busting testicles....now I have surprise for you. GUESS WHAT IM PICKING UP IN EARLY SEPTEMBER WHEN I GO UPSTATE FOR A MATCH? Yep, that Great Western. Seems my buddy is reducing the herd and wanted to know if I wanted it back. I said "sure, I know a sucker from Texas who wants it."

Beings that you are very nice to me I'll see to it you get it.....remember now....be nice! :D
Griff wrote: Well... thanks Cap't Obvious. :P :lol: I figured this thread for OTHER uses of the specified revolver!

ANNNNNDDDD, I might add.....here in the East we have a gun for each use. Down there in Texas, you guys use old 1842 Springfields for everything including holding up your tomato plants. :D

I can see me now.....blasting cinder blocks with that Great Western 38 S&W....the 65 year old derringer that still looks new........she's a beauty.......be nice Dennis. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Regarding '30' caliber revolvers....note the post by Pete44ru regarding a 32-20 Blackhawk for sale....http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=66753