Rifle Magazine special edition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Rifle Magazine special edition

Post by Griff »

"Winchester Leverguns",
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rifle Magazine special edition

Post by .45colt »

Saw it on the newsstand at work last week. Liked it a lot. :D .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I saw it but didn't buy as I just assumed it would be a re-hash of the usual stuff from Scoville and Venturino, not that there is anything wrong with it. But I have the Lever Legacy edition and Venturino's books on leverguns. Can't imagine a lot new. Prove me wrong!

:P
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Articles (by Dave Scovill) covering all the Winchester model lever guns. Has load data for each gun & cartridge it was chambered in. Plus a great article on sights.

Nothing I've not seen before, but... all in one place.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for the tip.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Articles (by Dave Scovill) covering all the Winchester model lever guns. Has load data for each gun & cartridge it was chambered in. Plus a great article on sights.

Nothing I've not seen before, but... all in one place.
Why buy a magazine when all I have to do is ask here? (I'm serious, the knowledge on this board is overwhelming...)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

While I do agree with you Blaine about the amount of knowledge on this forum (as well as the good company I might add), there is something about having an actual book or magazine in hand to read. That being said there are few magazine's worth buying these days unfortunately.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Got to have something to read while on the porcelain tractor!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Got my copy...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Seeing as how tomorrow is my 78th birthday I'll buy a copy. I have not bought a gun magazine in several years.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I subscribe to Rifle and Handloader...and of course, The American Rifleman but after living 62 years, my hypnthesis is that this levergun magazine is just a rehash of the many like it that have already hit the newsstands for years. Mike Venturino's "Leverguns" and George Madis's "Winchesters" will tell you about anything the average...or advanced guy will ever need to know.

But, like Winchesters and Colts, you can never have too many good magazines and books of knowledge.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Happy birthday Jerry!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

The good thing about these magazines (even with rehashed articles) is that we can hope that young shooters will discover and appreciate leverguns. It's not all about us and at some point there will hopefully be another generation who will carry on the tradition.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I bought a copy today and went straight to the 1886 load data for the 40-82 to see if they had anything new to offer. Not really, nothing new to me anyway. Two loads were ok with a velocity between 1400 and 1500 fps. The third one is over 2000 fps. That is a recipe to blow up a mild steel barrel! That load is ok for a nickel steel barrel ONLY in my opinion. That load isn't marked as only suitable for nickel steel barrels like most of the 45-90 loads are.

Speaking of 45-90, the two loads in the magazine that were labeled as suitable for mild steel barrels were both over 2100 fps. Black powder velocities were around 1500 fps. Again, someone who uses these loads in a mild steel barrel is risking disaster. I have a note in my load data that Dave Scoville's loads are for nickel steel barrels only. I would hate to see another 86 failure due to someone being ignorant of the risk involved!

I don't load for 45-70, so I don't know how those loads compare with the original black powder velocities. Buyer beware!
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

I was interested in trying to find a copy of the magazine until someone mentioned Dave Scovill.

I have been going through my old issues of Handloader and am pretty much of the belief that Scovill has nothing to offer.

What caused me to come by that opinion was when he was babbling about the T/C Contender, the version that has the rotating selector, for centerfire/safety/rimfire on top of the hammer. He was yammering about how the Contender cocks when you break the action to load/reload, somehow making it unsafe. In a hogs hiney it does! What gets cocked is a hammer block that prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin. Once the gun is actually cocked, manually, the hammer block is dropped prior to the hammer falling, or maybe as it falls. Then he went further to tell about how dangerous it was to lower the hammer if it had been cocked and the shooter decided to not take the shot. The proper way to de-cock a Contender is to break the action, dropping the hammer onto the the safety block, which remains in place for just that reason. The Contender will NOT fire unless the trigger is pulled.

After that little gem I started looking at his other writings and found way to many tidbits showing his lack of knowledge about his subject. A holder of a MS in BS!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Alan in Vermont wrote:I was interested in trying to find a copy of the magazine until someone mentioned Dave Scovill...
...I started looking at his other writings and found way to many tidbits showing his lack of knowledge about his subject...!
Hmmm...
I'll have to take a closer look at Scovill's theses, since I read the trio (Handloader / Rifle Magazine / Successful Hunter) every month, particularly Handloader.

Thanks for the heads up.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, here we go with a wandering thread. Scoville....mmmmmm. I get every Rifle and Handloader and read it cover to cover and one thing Scoville wrote had me scratching my head. He states that when reloading, using cast bullets, that the case will size down the bullet one or two thou. Mmmmmm...maybe with a dead soft bullet on a thick case that was resized without an expander. I experimented a bit with that issue and found the pulled bullets still measured the same....in 38 and 44 wcf, 44 mag and Spl.......these bullets I tested were wheel weights with 2% tin.

Another time he wrote he could never find an 1892 Winchester in 44-40 that would shoot decent. I have no idea what his definition of "decent" is but the dozen or so I have worked with will all do 3" at 100.

But, to be fair he has wrote lots of other things I did learn from. All in all, he is a very knowledgeable shootist.

And...how in the heck does Brian Pearce regularly get his open sighted leverguns to do an inch at 100 yards? He must have the eyes of an eagle.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

There's a popular axiom that says that this culture loves its heroes, but loves even more to tear them down... or something like that.

Not me. I hate it when I have to be disappointed once again when some purportedly reliable source or person is shown to be seriously flawed. That is, when one makes continued mistakes, which then invalidates them with me.

A paid gun writer should not print statements that he doesn't totally own by keen observation and experience, let alone several such misstatements.

Blast it all. That calls into question the load data produced by those magazines, as well.

But thanks anyway for the info, as I said before - we need to know.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I got my copy, pretty much same ol same ol. But does have some nice pictures. I could care less who writes the articles, after 40+ years of the same writings, there isn't much more to learn about them, other than some history of a particular rifle. i like stories of what where and when a rifle has done in it's life. History of the model itself has been told to death.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Picked one up... Good read... Some repeats.... All good..

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"