'66 Centennial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

'66 Centennial

Post by Griff »

So... how's this for lever gun related?

New to me, '66 Winchester Centennial, 20" barrel. Previous owner couldn't get it to feed properly. I got, took it apart and tightened up the carrier springs, put in a Wisner's machined carrier and put it back together. Feeds exceedingly well! Now to change out the sights and set it up for levergun silhouette! Already have a Lyman tang and 17AH front. Balances very nicely with that short 20" octagon barrel. I've wanted a 20" octagon for some time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: '66 Centennial

Post by gregg »

i like it. nice looking gun.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's nicer than that 3200 $$ offering that has all them laser pictures all over it.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm glad you got it running right, Griff - me likey.......

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And while the bore has quite a bit of copper in it... it has nice sharp rifling and fairly clean... after numerous patches and lots of Hoppes #9!

BlaineG wrote:It's nicer than that 3200 $$ offering that has all them laser pictures all over it.... 8)
It might look good with some nice traditional scrollwork done on the slabsides... Gonna have to do a range test tomorrow...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:And while the bore has quite a bit of copper in it... it has nice sharp rifling and fairly clean... after numerous patches and lots of Hoppes #9!

BlaineG wrote:It's nicer than that 3200 $$ offering that has all them laser pictures all over it.... 8)
It might look good with some nice traditional scrollwork done on the slabsides... Gonna have to do a range test tomorrow...
If you're gonna pimp out a levergun, find an old Sears Mossberg, or something...... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Best part... even my wife said it was a good deal...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
I shoot with several of Pennsylvania's state champions when I go upstate and one of them......after using a 20" octagon commemorative of some sort.....will not use anything else.

You sure have been on a roll lately bringing home all kinds of neat guns.----6

Off the subject, I'm watching "The Donald" on Fox News right now and he is only about 8 miles down the road.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
I shoot with several of Pennsylvania's state champions when I go upstate and one of them......after using a 20" octagon commemorative of some sort.....will not use anything else.

You sure have been on a roll lately bringing home all kinds of neat guns.----6

Off the subject, I'm watching "The Donald" on Fox News right now and he is only about 8 miles down the road.
Your special buddy Barry was in Philly....he sure was laying on the quaint Urban Accent...... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:You sure have been on a roll lately bringing home all kinds of neat guns.----6...
I have another to collect, it might be here before that derringer (which reminds me, I'll email you my FFL's info, you can expect payment shortly)... but I'll let it wait till I get my grubby lil' hands on it before I tell ya what it is... I'm still tickled over how nicely this last deal came together.

By the way, anyone flush with some extra M-1 clips?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
M-1 Clips? You mean M-1 En-bloc 8 rounders or M-1 Carbine magazines?

BTW....I threw my printer in the trash a month ago....new ink costs as much as a new printer.

Relax, I ain't in no hurry.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff, I have some Garand clips if you need some. Cant send them for a week or so.

I like the octagon commemoratives. Ive had several of the 26" rifles in the Canadian Centennial and Buffalo Bill in the past. I owned one of the Canadian Centennial short rifles/so-called carbine, but ended up selling it still unfired. Those, the Buffalo Bills, and one or two others were decent guns, not too awfully gaudy to be a shooter. The 66 Centennials are a little flashy, but not bad. They've been growing on me recently.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:Griff, I have some Garand clips if you need some. Cant send them for a week or so.

I like the octagon commemoratives. Ive had several of the 26" rifles in the Canadian Centennial and Buffalo Bill in the past. I owned one of the Canadian Centennial short rifles/so-called carbine, but ended up selling it still unfired. Those, the Buffalo Bills, and one or two others were decent guns, not too awfully gaudy to be a shooter. The 66 Centennials are a little flashy, but not bad. They've been growing on me recently.
Yep, the 8-round enbloc clips, Malamute, thanks, I ain't in a hurry, I have several, but want to get some more for an upcoming competition... not that I'll do any good, but loading them in advance is SO much better than under a time crunch!

My other Commemoratives are 16" and 20" carbines, along with a '67 Canadian someone had put a Trapper barrel on. I'd found a BB short rifle several years ago, but didn't know about them, thought they were all 26", and let it get away. Didn't have a smart phone to look it up... during the drive home and back, someone else snapped it up. I have 8 other 26" mdl 94s...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have some spares I'll send you. I'll get with you and get your address in about a week if that's OK. Will be busy until then.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:I have some spares I'll send you. I'll get with you and get your address in about a week if that's OK. Will be busy until then.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

I've had one of those for a while, and I probably paid more than I should have, but there was just something about it I couldn't resist. I put a Marbles tang sight on mine. May have been a mistake to drill and tap the tang, but I don't plan on selling it, so collector value wasn't really an issue for me. It's a very accurate rifle, you should do well with your silhouette shooting.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks good.