Who can yank off a barrel, hotblue, and tell me what caliber

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Who can yank off a barrel, hotblue, and tell me what caliber

Post by David »

I got a real good deal on this, (maybe?) $200 to my door.
I think I can rebuild the box, line it, and make it presentable.
I have no idea what caliber 44 something I think.
The barrel isn't bad but does had a few small holes drilled in and absolutely no writing I can find.
I don't know if you can fill little holes or if it's worth it, I'm just wondering the cost of making a little bit better looking and finding out what it shoots.
I suspect someone on here can do that at least refinish as is, hopefully affordably or maybe it's just not worth it and I should just figure out what it shoots and live with it?
If I make it look good I guess next project is to build a replacement removable stock which apparently was also lost.

I have no idea who actually first did this but It's mostly Remington so I had a hard time passing it up :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who can yank off a barrel, hotblue, and tell me what cal

Post by GunnyMack »

I wouldn't bother doing anything to it UNTIL you figure out what caliber it is. I suggest getting a block of CERROSAFE from Brownells, FOLLOW the instructions to the T! Then you should be able to decipher what exactly it is. Cartridges of the World be a big help.

Is it a Rimfire or center fire?

To fill the holes are they threaded? Or just drilled holes? If threaded, just figure out what thread, file head off a screw and peen it tight. Use wire to fit the drilled holes and peen tight as well. I wouldn't weld, if it's NEW steel ( chromoly) it will spit & sputter and not fill nicely. If you insist on welding, it has to be done with a torch which can cause scale in the bore.

As far as refinishing it, you need to find a local 'smith to pull the barrel and re blue it. Is it worth the effort? Ya got me.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Now that is an early car/truck gun. As Gunny said: cast the chamber. Also slug the bore. You will then know what it is chambered in. I wouldn't do any refinishing to the exterior it's exceeellennt as is. Heck this might even be known as being made by a known maker. It has lots of character.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

44 Russian

It looks like a cross between the Remington 1901 Target and 1873 pistol.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I would not mess with it at all, the scars scratches and dings are all just part of the history of the gun. Might be nice to be able to shoot it a little if you find it shoots a cartridge that is still available.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It looks like a buggy gun or an early bicycle gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If it truly is a Rem 1901 (post 1898, i.e., not a relic) and barrel is not at least 16", I would do some serious investigation before I made a stock for that gun. Right now it is a pistol and legal. I don't no whether that would be the case with the stock.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

It's a Remington Navy that someone modified the grip and replaced the barrel, not a target model.
Not threaded just some small holes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, it's definitely a navy but I never saw a RRB cut for a shoulder stock. Like you said, it was rebarreled.

Leave it alone as is unless you want to spend big bucks for a smith to actually make a barrel, cut the threads and rust blue it.........probably would set you back a g. ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Yes whoever re-barreled it made the grip as well, I suspect if the shoulder stock was still present they would have wanted a lot of money for it.
I have on offer now to yank the barrel, figure out the caliber, buff it, and blue it for $125, half that if I could get it off.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Yea, it's definitely a navy but I never saw a RRB cut for a shoulder stock. Like you said, it was rebarreled.

Leave it alone as is unless you want to spend big bucks for a smith to actually make a barrel, cut the threads and rust blue it.........probably would set you back a g. ----6

The 1869 Target pistol. A seventeen inch octagonal barrel was fitted to an 1867 Navy receiver, and a skeleton shoulder stock was attached to grooves in the flat buttstock. This was probably the first rolling block pistol to be fitted with an adjustable rear sight. It is not known exactly how many were made, but they are extremely rare. They were not listed in any catalog.

This pistol has definitely been altered though.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

jdad wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Yea, it's definitely a navy but I never saw a RRB cut for a shoulder stock. Like you said, it was rebarreled.

The 1869 Target pistol. A seventeen inch octagonal barrel was fitted to an 1867 Navy receiver, and a skeleton shoulder stock was attached to grooves in the flat buttstock. This was probably the first rolling block pistol to be fitted with an adjustable rear sight. It is not known exactly how many were made, but they are extremely rare. They were not listed in any catalog.

This pistol has definitely been altered though.
Yeah I actually had one of those until someone offered me a lot of money for it, lot of my collection has gone that way no-a-days.

I still have some of my "big boys" I haven't parted with yet, probably some of the best that exists or I'd like to think so.
For example (we do get to show off occasionally) this are original condition....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

David,
Very niiiicccceee 1875's. Very minty........44 Rem. CF??----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Sixgun wrote:David,
Very niiiicccceee 1875's. Very minty........44 Rem. CF??----6
Yes both 44-40's, I have a 45 as well but not quite this condition. Blue 1875's in that condition are just impossible to find, the inside of the cylinder on the nickel still has that new look to it. I was looking if I had a photo somewhere (on computer at hand) I have a mint engraved nickel 1875 as well, just absolute beauty.

It's very hard for me to part with a 75,88, or 90 but of course eventually they all have to go....

It just kills me I see people talking about $1,000 or $1,500 real-estate taxes mine are about $15,000, it's painful to live here....
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Wrong frame for a 1901 Target. It is the correct frame for a 1865 or 1867 Navy. Caliber could be anything at this point, so a chamber cast, and firing pin check will determine what ".44" it might be. You certainly can own and display it with a buttstock, but whether I'd ever put it on the gun in public is the question. I personally wouldn't if the buttstock wasn't serial numbered to a gun.
Holes in the barrel could be filled, but I'd want to know where they were, and spacing, as it may have had an old tube sight, and one would be a great addition if you found one. If the bore is shootable, I would not let anyone fill the holes who might suggest welding! Welding holes will ruin the barrel, and require a reline. I fill dovetails and holes all the time, and I use soft steel plugs for dovetails, and threaded plugs for holes. Once the barrel is rust blued the plugs are invisible, or very hard to see. I did a dovetail filler on my Rigby Ballard yesterday, and touched up the barrel bluing afterwards. You can just make it out about 2.5" ahead of the Rigby flats:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/