45 ACP brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

45 ACP brass

Post by milton »

Any of you folks that reload 45 acp load any of the cases with small pistol primers? Have you noticed any accuracy or performance problems with the smaller primers?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 45 ACP brass

Post by Griff »

I just try to separate them out and trade 'em to guys that do.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

When they first started showing up I would separate them and load for field use, I would shoot them at stuff in the woods/fields and not retrieve them.
Now I do as Griff does and sort them out and trade them to amigos who want them. The guys who get them from me are too lazy to change over the primer feeding mechanisms on their progressive presses from loading 9mm or 38 Special.
There is usually a slight difference in velocity between the two with equal loads, but never enough to a meaningful effect in my fixed sight R1 or Ruger Flattop.

Eric

Edit:
Here is an article with hard data. The largest variation is with the slower powders which makes sense.
http://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/S ... ge-Primer/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Other than having to seperate them by primer size, I find they shoot just fine with the same loads I use in large primer brass. I am more concerned with some .45 ACP brass that has greatly oversized flash holes. Out of the several thousand I have gathered in the last few years,I have discarded a couple hundred that had the huge flash holes. Some say they shoot the same as small flash holes but I like to have brass that is as consistant as possible even it that means that I have two types,large and small primers. I can set in front of the boob tube and sort brass.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I do not have a problem sorting the stuff I am just concerned that the small primer will not give me a load comparable to large pistol primers.I guess I can try some loads and see how they perform.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

There is NO difference whatsoever; NONE NADA, ZILCHO.

And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I used to shoot IPSC and still have several thousand 45ACP cases. I still shoot some 45ACP, in 1911s, my Smith 1917, and various Colt SAAs that have dual cylinders. I separate them for loading but as Terry says, there ain't no difference in the shootin'.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Other than having to seperate them by primer size, I find they shoot just fine with the same loads I use in large primer brass. I am more concerned with some .45 ACP brass that has greatly oversized flash holes. Out of the several thousand I have gathered in the last few years,I have discarded a couple hundred that had the huge flash holes. Some say they shoot the same as small flash holes but I like to have brass that is as consistant as possible even it that means that I have two types,large and small primers. I can set in front of the boob tube and sort brass.
I talked with the guy that used to own Bull-X bullet and reload ammo company. When they started seeing the Win-Clean brass with large flash holes they were concerned about using them with standard loads and called Winchester. They told him it wouldn't hurt anything, so he never separated them and never had any problems with them mixed into their brass supply/ammo
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

In my opinion, the only problem with small primed 45 ACP brass is reloaders that don't inspect their brass and just dump a bunch of empties in the hopper of their progressive press... :roll:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Well,all this sounds good to me! I will try some loads out next week.Thanks fellows!!!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Malamute wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:Other than having to seperate them by primer size, I find they shoot just fine with the same loads I use in large primer brass. I am more concerned with some .45 ACP brass that has greatly oversized flash holes. Out of the several thousand I have gathered in the last few years,I have discarded a couple hundred that had the huge flash holes. Some say they shoot the same as small flash holes but I like to have brass that is as consistant as possible even it that means that I have two types,large and small primers. I can set in front of the boob tube and sort brass.
I talked with the guy that used to own Bull-X bullet and reload ammo company. When they started seeing the Win-Clean brass with large flash holes they were concerned about using them with standard loads and called Winchester. They told him it wouldn't hurt anything, so he never separated them and never had any problems with them mixed into their brass supply/ammo
Thanks, that was shortly after the small primed ACP's started showing up in this area and very little information was available on the subject. The primer size did not concern me but those huge flash holes did.
I went up to the gun club the morning after the police qualification shoot and picked up about 3K pieces of once fired brass. Maybe 30% have Small primers.
We have two police departments that are 100% club and NRA members paid for by the department.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

They are a PITA when you start priming brass. I throw them away, but I have plenty of large primer brass.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Steven57
Levergunner

Post by Steven57 »

There's a guy on another forum uses small primer for 45Super loads and 335gr LFN. Says it helps the 800-x ignite better. I believe him.