camo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

camo

Post by joachim slim »

you should never wash your camo clothing (or hunting clothing) in your regular detergent. it has phosphates in it that make you stick out like a turd in a punch bowl. i bought some liquid stuff at wally world yrs ago thatremoves stains and doesnt leave a residue. its in the hunting section. cheap and works wonders. no smell either.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've been using sport wash for years with good results. No scents, no uv brighteners and seems to do a pretty good job of getting my camo clean.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

wash

Post by joachim slim »

yep...o think thats what it is called. my wife even used it my kids clothes and got grass stains out. it also gets blood out.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

You also need to make sure the washing machine has no detergent residue in it before washing. A few seasons back I recall washing my camo in the uber expensive scent eliminating wash, only to discover the wife had loaded up the fabric softner resivor on the washing machine. Needless to say that my hunting clothes were "snuggle fresh" :oops: :shock: :? :x
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I do not think all that is needed . The last 4 deer I shot were in blue jeans.
That were washed at least 100 or more times in regular detergent.
Same with the hunting jacket. The deer don"t care what type of detergent you use.
:wink:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

One more thought to add.....I store all my hunting clothes in a cedar closet which keeps the moths and insects from damaging the clothes (I still wear a lot of wool....but I suppose the new synthetics don't suffer from this hazard) and it infuses the cedar smell into the clothes over the year.

Of course I hunt in a cedar swamp so that works.....I suppose a cornfield hunter might not find this advantageous though I am of the opinion that deer are curious creatures and if they smell a familiar scent in a strange location they will be drawn to it to investigate.

On the other hand I could be full of stuff...... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

win38-55 wrote:The last 4 deer I shot were in blue jeans.
What size? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Griff wrote:
win38-55 wrote:The last 4 deer I shot were in blue jeans.
What size? :lol: :lol: :lol:
What brand? Did they make the deer look fat?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They weren't those darn hip-huggers were they?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Did they have them pulled up where they belong or were they "saggin'"? (If the latter, that'd make them easier to kill, 'cause they couldn't RUN!)
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I hope they were wearing belts. Just bugs me when folks dont wear a belt or suspenders.

As for detergent on hunting cammies I just use baking soda. They come out clean and odor free and you can get it at any grocery store.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

Hobie wrote:They weren't those darn hip-huggers were they?
No. They were the really really loose fitting blue jeans with the underwear showing. :shock:
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Hey,
What's this about washing camos???? I spent good money to smear'em all up with Eu de Elk Urine! :D :D :D . From all the looks I get in the store I just know that they are wunderin where I get the parfum. :lol: :lol:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I just came back from turkey hunting wearing clothes washed in nothing but unscented laundry detergent made by Hunters Specilty does this have the uv ? I had a heard of about 5 deer come within 20 yards of me :lol: I'm not sure I believe the UV thing :shock: I guess it is possible though.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

ohwin94_61 wrote:I just came back from turkey hunting wearing clothes washed in nothing but unscented laundry detergent made by Hunters Specilty does this have the uv ? I had a heard of about 5 deer come within 20 yards of me :lol: I'm not sure I believe the UV thing :shock: I guess it is possible though.
After 40 years of hunting whitetails, I feel secure in saying you could dress in dayglo orange head-to-toe and sit in the woods with spotlights on you, and still see plenty of deer -- as long as you stay quiet and keep motion to an absolute minimum. Same rules apply no matter what you're wearing.