OT - Inheritance and Handguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Inheritance and Handguns

Post by spaceman spiff »

Greetings,

My Dad recently died :cry: and left me a couple of handguns. I live in Michigan and have never owned a handgun and am totally clueless on how to proceed with this. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Troy -

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father when I was 16. You'll miss him every day - no way to suger coat it - but it does get easier as time goes on.

I am the oldest of 4 kids. After my Dad's death we divided up his collection three ways, between myself and my two younger brothers. My younger sister - the youngest - was only 7 at the time. I held onto all three parts as it was the safest thing to do. Thinking back at it, we were pretty sexist in excluding my sister - even if she didn't care.

I shared my Dad's love of firearms, and bought out my brothers's shares over the next 15 years, as they didn't care about them (well, brother 2 didn't care about anything but modern stuff, then married a woman who wouldn't allow them in the house! :( ; brother 3 just wanted the money). 3 months after I had the collection all back together I gave one to my little sister, now an adult, for protection. It was the right thing to do.

Long story, but I guess I'm saying that if you have your father's guns, I'd keep them no matter what. Learn about them and shoot them - honoring your father, after all, he thought enough about them to aquire them. Pass them on to your kids when the time comes - continue to line and get another generation involved in our precious liberties!

Good luck!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

First, I'm very sorry for your loss!

I know MI is tough on handgun ownership from what my former Father in law told me. I'm sure one of the Mich. members will check in.

Give a local gun shop a call. They'd most likely know what you need to do. There's a great place in Clare, MI called Jay's Sporting goods. The're on the web. Haven't been there in 6/7 years but they were always helpful!!

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

sorry for your loss

Post by Hillbilly »

sorry to hear that your dad has passed.

talk to the sherrif. if you are legal to posses a handgun in MI they can talk you through what it takes to get new green cards for those pistols in your name.

Jeff
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sorry for you loss. cant help you with local laws. blessings. (do all you can to keep them)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sorry to hear your loss.Godbless :cry:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry about your loss. Like Ysabel said, whatever you do don't get rid of your dad's guns. You'll regret it forever.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Sorry for your loss. Keep the guns. They will help in years to come to remember the good times.
"That'll Be The Day"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Gents,

I'd given no thought to getting rid of the guns, far from it.. I just want to avoid any legal pitfalls. Thanks for all of the kind words fellas. There could not be a better group anywhere.

Regards,

Troy

Benjamin Franklin
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My condolences on your loss. Can't help with the procedures up there, but whatever it takes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Spaceman,

Sorry about your loss. I know its tuff but its very important remember all of the positives and pass them on to the future generations.

I am originally from Saginaw but left after enlisting 10 years ago. The rules are still the same. Call your local sheriff's office and ask. Like others have said, you just have to take them in and apply for your green cards. They will do their BS safety inspection.

I do miss those cherry's up there
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Heal well friend. Sorry for your loss.

I would keep the guns no matter what. Your children and grandchildren will enjoy them also.

I personally would do anything I had to do keep them in my family. I'm not suggesting YOU do anything illegal.

I personally would not mention those specific guns when talking to the Sheriff about ownership, and I might start the info gathering process at the local FFL if you don't get a truly knowledgeable answer here.

If Michigan won't let you have them, maybe you can legally ship them to a trustee that can hold them for you by way of UPS overnight through an FFL holder. You might not be in MI forever and MIs laws may change for the better.

You probably have some time here. Most likely until your dad's estate is settled. It took me 8 months to settle my dad's estate.

Good luck.
Just throwing ideas out there.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You have my condolences. I know what it is like to lose a father with whom you were close.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I too am sorry to hear of your loss.

As for the inherited pistols, if I recall correctly are the property(responisibilty) of the excuter of your father's estate.
You need to call your local sherif office and ask them how to do the "legal" transfer to you.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Thank You for all of the kind words and advise. I now have a plan in how to approach this.

Again, Thanks.

Troy

Benjamin Franklin
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I personally would not mention those specific guns when talking to the Sheriff about ownership, and I might start the info gathering process at the local FFL if you don't get a truly knowledgeable answer here."
--Tycer

BINGO!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

First have someone show you the saftey aspects since you never had any handguns. You dont want yourself or someone else hurt looking at them.
If they dont turn you on keep them anyway for your kids who might want them in later years because they were grandpas. If you are a batchlor with no kids, uninterested, (how could that be?) you will probley just sell them. If you do, be carefull how and who to!
Get a knowledgeable friend to go try them out with you. A big chance it will stir your intrests and give you a new love in your life and some additional understanding about your dad!
In any case I wouldnt go and jump unnessary hoops by even going to the law. Just keep the guns safely stored. Why even get the goverment involved?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I live in Bay City, Michigan and used to work at a local gun shop.....whenever someone came in under these circumstances we would take them, all the handguns, and a copy of the death certificate down to the police station and get them registered.

We always had a good relationship with the local police department and sheriff's office so there was never a problem. A quick NICS check (20 minutes or less) and some basic paper work and it was done.

Wm
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Was your father also a resident of Michigan?
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Yes,

Dad was a MI resident...

Regards,

Troy

Benjamin Franklin
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

Sorry for your loss. You'll have flashbacks of "remember when" forever.

I think you need to make sure your dad had all the t's crossed too.What happens if he had an unregistered gun and you all of a sudden present it for ducumentation? Charges, penalties, confiscation or who knows what. Your Sheriff should be able to tell you without your going on record saying I'm Joe Blow and I've got guns. If not, check with a lawyer.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Sorry for your loss Troy. Blessings to you and yours.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

You have my deepest sympathies. My father recently passed on, and the support I received from this forum was genuine, and greatly appreciated. You are at the right place to share your grief, and receive guidance on what to do with your Dad's firearms.
Winjester
God Bless America!
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Gentlemen,

I'm sincerely grateful for all of the advice/knowledge about this and thanks again for the condolences and prayers. This helps affirm my faith in God and Man. Things are rolling along, my Sister has been made Executor of the estate and we'll go from there.
Pops would have really liked the folks and content of this forum. :D

My gratitude,

Troy

Benjamin Franklin