For the many dog lovers here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

For the many dog lovers here

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: For the many dog lovers here

Post by Blaine »

That Mother Gene is strong, indeed. :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I read about this a few days ago. Nice to see that there are some good guys out there still.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's one bachelor party they'll never forget, good on 'em..... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd have to call this a "Hand of G_d" story.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Thanks for sharing the story.

Sandy came from under a house as a puppy. She was infested with fleas. An unwanted litter.

I received her for my 50th birthday, a long time ago.

She is no longer with us, unfortunately.

All the best, Mark
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Well... If we're telling stories...

I found Buddy in my garage one afternoon. I was working in the yard and found a trail of a couple bloody paw prints leading into my garage. At the end of the trail hiding behind some storage was a pup maybe 4-months old that was so tore-up and exhausted that he couldn't even hold up his head. I took him to the vet and got him sewed up and medicated, then I took him home and made him a pallet. He slept for 3 days except for lifting his head to get a drink of water and swallow more drugs. Turns out that one of the neighbors was raising pit-bulls to fight and this one had escaped after being used as a training cull for a bigger dog. Animal services had raided this guys operation and he couldn't account for the one that got away. Anyway, I kept him. Good dog, faithful friend, a machine of destruction. 12 good years and we miss him a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

"Well... If we're telling stories..."

Good on you, 12 years of friendship. Dogs are pretty special.

Mark
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have see some of the worst *** ever cry like babys if there dog got hurt.shows what love can do to anyone i guess.
good story.
they say dogs go to heaven,if i go there i will have a pack of wagging tails waiting for me for sure.Every dog i ever had was part of the family.I once got my *** kicked for punching the polar water guy for slapping my dog for jumping on his leg.but i did get in a few good licks in and the dog bit him a few times too.Then he got fired and i went and bought a new kitchen table we broke in the fight.My wife even got a few good punches in.If she would have stayed clear i mite have won but was watching out for her and took a few to the head. :lol: :lol:

my old girl LADY is 15 and i start every day carrying her down the steps and out to let he pee and clean up any mess she made doing the night before i even have my coffee.Thats why you see my post so early in the AM most times i'm waiting on her to bark wanting back in.

JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We had a boxer-german shepherd mix who chose us at the pound. She was 16 years old when she passed away. We still miss her. Couldn't ask for a better friend for my son than that dog.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since we're telling stories :lol:

Back when I drank too much, I was three sheets to the wind, and the Soldier I was talking to at the bar had to go because he was shipping out and he had to get his dog out to the woods to get rid of it. Well, I followed him home, and took Oreo home with me. Talk about no good deed goes unpunished :roll: The dang dog bit me twice on the way home, when I got home the wife chewed my butt for a couple hours. It was the daughter's dog, but when she left home, I got stuck with it. The little guy hated me with a passion only a Priest could have for Satan. He lived to a ripe old 17, maybe more. I suspect the only thing that kept him going was hoping he could bite me once more. He spend his days on the back porch where his main job was keeping the little brown birds away from his food bowl. When he got so feeble he couldn't function, I took him to the vet. The tech was going to use a little cordless shaver to make a spot for the needle, and I told him not to because it would scare him. He didn't listen, and when he started to shave his little paw, Oreo mustered up what must have been the last iota of life he had and sank his last four teeth into the guys hand. I was never so proud of him. I swear, as the life left him, he looked up and winked at me...Later, the next week when I went in to pick up his cremains, the staff was trying to act all sad for me, and I told them not to feel bad as this would be the first time the little bastard would ride in the truck and not throw up on the seat :lol: ..(well, heck...eyes leaking...how could I be sentimental over a little guy that hated me?) :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya can trust a dog, but not a person. You know exactly where you stand with a dog, good or bad.
Every kid needs a puppy! I must still be a kid cuz I go outta my way to meet a dog but I'll forget the owners name in minutes after.

Had a Jack Russell years ago, greatest hunter I have ever known. Cats,skunks, possum, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels- nothing was off limits, including bears! He would hunt it.

He treed a small bear, hours later when I got tired of hearing him bark I went and picked him up and you could see the relief in that bears face. That dog girdled the oak tree the bear was in.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

My old aunt had a dog that had bit every 1 in the family at least 10 time.The day it died we lined up to dig the hole for her. It would jump on your lap and dare you to try to get it off. But again my aunt was about as nasty as that little dog her self. :lol: :lol:

some dogs are just mean from the get go and never change.I have had several that i had to get rid of or get the kids bit.

we had a white boxer with1 pink eye when i was a kid that had got loose and had my borrow down by the neck and dad took a pick handle and got it off it and it came at him like 10 times before he finely beat it to death with the handle. it would stand on its back legs at the end of its chain and growl at us kids every time we came out of the house. It wanted to kill my dad that day if he had not had that pick handle with him.It charged him and he knocked it out and it came too and did it again and again till he finely beat its brains out on the ground and we all were so glad it was dead.that dog was pure evil..
JOHNNY WACKO
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Local guy adopted a pit bull, dog was a fighting dog, not a good one as he was sweet as pie.
One day I see the guys car parked in local coffee shop and Roscoe's nose out the window. Woman out front talking on her cell phone. I couldn't resist that chance to have a little fun! I pulled into the far side of the parking lot got out and headed for the door. As I passed the lady on her phone I said Oh look a pit bull! She stopped talking and watched me walk to the car. I eased my hand up to the window where Roscoe had his nose sticking out. Now I could see this woman staring at me approach and offer my hand to a PITT BULL, behind her I can see Roscoe's owner thru the window and he is laughing.
So I very gingerly ease my hand up and shove it through the window to pet Roscoe as he starts licking my face! The woman just about crapped her toenails when I put my arm inside that car.

I finally went in for coffee and we had a good laugh about that woman's response.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

JOHNNY WACKO wrote:
my old girl LADY is 15 and i start every day carrying her down the steps and out to let he pee and clean up any mess she made doing the night before i even have my coffee.
Are you giving her anything to help with the stiffness?

Rimadyl is the common Vet med for older dogs, but my Vet prescribed Meloxicam for one of mine. It really helped him out the last couple years, and cost $10 for 6 months worth. Rimadyl was a dollar or more per day last I recall.

And hey, those with older dogs, at some point we end up having to take a pee sample in to the Vet. I figured out a pretty simple way to do it. I took a paint roller handle, looked inside and figured out how deep the hole was where the handle screws in. Cut the plastic handle off at the end of the cavity so its open all the way through. Stick the handle of a spare stainless steel kitchen measure cup, about anything from 1/2 cup to 1 cup works I think, I bought a one cup one at the thrift store. Stick measure cup handle well into the front end of the cut off paint roller handle, then screw a 4' or so roller handle into it. Dog pees, you casually stick cup under them, carefully remove handle when done, pour into fresh clean water bottle to take to Vet.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Blaine, that'n made me cry.

:oops:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Blaine, that'n made me cry.

:oops:
It's dogs....I don't know why, but sentimental dog stories make me emotional. Evidently, even the ones I write myself. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Everytime I run across "The Rainbow Bridge," I am a mess. I'm not normally this sappy.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Where the Red Fern Grows is the worst- I only saw part of it and refuse to ever watch it again! Saw it while in college, whole dorm full of gun smith students cryin their eyes out!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote:Where the Red Fern Grows is the worst- I only saw part of it and refuse to ever watch it again! Saw it while in college, whole dorm full of gun smith students cryin their eyes out!
Old Yeller scarred me for life.... :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hardly a day goes by when I don't think of this girl. I was leaving my office one day as she was playing with some kids, thought she belonged to one of them. Then they started throwing rocks at her and I yelled at them to knock it off. She turned and ran right to me, jumped up on the front seat of my truck an just looked at me. Tail waggin' away. I thought, "Cool I've got another dog!". She was about six months old then and lived be just short of 16.
Sure loved that dog.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have a black mouth cut. Ha looks and acts like old yeller. Smart as they come and as mischevious as a happy 3 year old. He jumps over any fence less than 5 foot tall. He is as happy just to be alive as anyone or anything ever was, but he knows to keep everyone but family out of the back yard. I don't dare take him hunting. He would probably go beat up every boar within a mile and then come back laughing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Malamute wrote:
JOHNNY WACKO wrote:
my old girl LADY is 15 and i start every day carrying her down the steps and out to let he pee and clean up any mess she made doing the night before i even have my coffee.
Are you giving her anything to help with the stiffness?

Rimadyl is the common Vet med for older dogs, but my Vet prescribed Meloxicam for one of mine. It really helped him out the last couple years, and cost $10 for 6 months worth. Rimadyl was a dollar or more per day last I recall.

And hey, those with older dogs, at some point we end up having to take a pee sample in to the Vet. I figured out a pretty simple way to do it. I took a paint roller handle, looked inside and figured out how deep the hole was where the handle screws in. Cut the plastic handle off at the end of the cavity so its open all the way through. Stick the handle of a spare stainless steel kitchen measure cup, about anything from 1/2 cup to 1 cup works I think, I bought a one cup one at the thrift store. Stick measure cup handle well into the front end of the cut off paint roller handle, then screw a 4' or so roller handle into it. Dog pees, you casually stick cup under them, carefully remove handle when done, pour into fresh clean water bottle to take to Vet.

she don't seem in pain just stiff when she gets up and don't like the steps. still wags her tail every time she sees me and bites maxwell if he tries to get near her food bowl. the wife got her some pills to help her hips but she did nothing but pace around like all wound up on speed so i made her stop giving them to her. she still goes out when i shoot my guns even thow she has been a bit gun shy all her life. hates thunder too.but sets with me or stands rite between my feet as i shoot. acts hard of hearing unless you say the word eat or outside. or uncle henry a friend of mine she loves ,the only friend she ever showed affection for.he brings them treats every time he stops by.

she pops up in a lot of my pictures even when i don't see her till there taken
they get bored watching us shoot some times
JOHNNY WACKO