Model 63 New to me - Photos Added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Model 63 New to me - Photos Added

Post by geobru »

I just picked up a Winchester Model 63 and the magazine tube doesn't lock into place and falls out too easily in my opinion.
How did these lock into place? Do they depend on the ammo in the tube to supply spring tension to hold it in place?
I thought there would be a firm lock up when you twist the mag tube that 1/8 turn "lock" it.

Anyone have experience with these guns?

Photos of the gun are farther down the thread.
Last edited by geobru on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 63 question

Post by 2ndovc »

There should be a small cross pin at the rear of the tube that locks it into place. Don't know the exact size but my dad has one if you need a photo.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Here are two photos. One side of the pin is flush and the other side it sticks out about 0.1". The pin measures 0.125".
Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

One thing for sure, those babies shoot like a match rifle. Even though the barrel is marked for high velocity Super X, mine eats up low velocity Green Tag.....as long as the weather is over 50 or so.

It's a fairly complicated gun and I had to buy a shop manual to figure it out. I still have not figured out how to reduce the 5 pound trigger pull.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Yes they do shoot! I have my uncle's gun. It is the first rifle I had fired when we were little kids.
Pierre
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I understand that the pin on the core assembly is supposed to slide down a groove in the magazine tube, then turn an eighth of a turn into a keeper slot to hold the core in the tube. The problem that I have is the core is so loose in the tube that it can move enough for the pin to disengage from that keeper slot causing the core to fall out of the tube if it is empty or shoot out if there is ammo in the tube.

I am wondering if there is something that is missing or perhaps the keeper slot or the pin is worn to the point that it isn't able to hold the core in place in the keeper slot any more. I may try an O ring to see if that will add enough friction to keep the core assembly from freely turning inside the magazine tube.

On your 63's, when you rotate the core assembly, does it feel like it positively locks into place?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bro,
No, there is no "keeper slot". Like you said, you line the pin up with the groove, push in, maybe a half inch and turn. It depends on the very slight "friction" between the core and the magazine tube and some spring pressure from the extended follower. How far does your follower stick out from the end of the core? Mine sticks out 1 and 1/16". You may need to strengthen the spring behind the follower.---6

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Like sixgun states, the spring pressure holds the lock pin in place. If your spring is weak or collapsed, it might not hold to well. There is no little depression on the backside of the latch to locate the pin, so spring pressure is key. The only other thing, when I remove and push the tube back in, I can feel a slight resistance like there would be if a piece of felt or an o-ring was there, but I doubt that there is anything there.
Pierre
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pierre,
Yep, it's the same feel on mine .....right towards the end of pushing the rod in...you feel like there's friction. It's no o ring as mine was built in first year of production, 1933 and if there's was any kind of an o ring in there, it would have disintegrated by now. I had it completely apart except for the trigger group....you don't want to go there.

I think I know what the issue with Geo Bro's rifle is. It needs this box of Super X to be shot out of it and I just happen to have a deal this week on it.....$125. :D

Pierre and Bro....This is a nice detailed book and if there is any part your interested in let me know and I'll be more than happy to take the pics.-----6

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Sixgun
I will have to check whether my PDF version is the same or not. I will let you know. Thanks
Pierre
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's how to take it down and detail clean.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=466124
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

There is no spring tension when I put the magazine core in the tube. Is there spring tension when you separate the stock and the barrel? If so, can you tell where the tension is coming from?

This gun was reblued and I am wondering if it was reassembled correctly. I think the safety is in backward because the gun is of safety when the button on the left side of the receiver is depressed. Maybe a lefty had it and turned things arounf??

Six, I might need a scan of parts of that manual you have!

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow to see what it does.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Sixgun
I have the Owner's manual not the one that you have. Mine is a 1957 build. Most of the early guns that my uncle had were from about the same time, mid 50s after he got out of the air force.
Pierre
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bro,
I found the problem.

Pop off the buttstock and just pay attention. No stuff is gonna be flying all over the place. There is a small spring and detent coming out of the back of the receiver....no brainer

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Sixgun
Well that is a different way of doing things. Similar to using a small leaf spring, but saving the expense of the spring and screw to hold it. Pretty smart. I bet just a small tiny deflection will do the job.

As for the safety, on mine the safety is ON when pushed to the LEFT and OFF when pushed to the RIGHT. It was a little stiff, so I used a little 3-1 Oil and now it moves a lot better than before.
Pierre
Last edited by pdentrem on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pdentrem wrote:Sixgun

As for the safety, on mine the safety is ON when pushed to the LEFT and OFF when pushed to the RIGHT. It was a little stiff, so I used a little 3-1 Oil and now it moves a lot better than before.
Pierre
Pierre,
That would bother me a lot and it looks like nothing to correct. It was obviously reversed for a lefty or maybe someone just did not install it correctly. ----6
This book calls the safety a "lock". .......to remove it.

To reinstall

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

WOW!!

I go to sleep on the west coast and by the time I wake up, my problem is solved!

Six, That manual is worth its weight in gold! I saw the description and the picture of the cuts in Jdads post, but I couldn't tell where it was located in the gun or how it is supposed to work. Pretty plain and simple once you understand the whys and wherefores!

Thanks for scanning the pages pertaining to my problems with this rifle. I should be able to figure things out now that I understand where to look!
The safety bar has to be put in backwards. That should be an easy fix.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for help! I was beginning to think I made a bad deal on this rifle.....

I took it out this morning and shot it for the first time. It was 36 degrees and raining. I tried CCI Mini Mags, CCI standard velocity, American Eagle High Velocity, and Federal blue box. The only ammo it had a problem with was the Federal Blue box, and that was two rounds that didn't fully eject.

I have a vintage Marbles Simplex tang sight for it to fit the factory D&T's holes in the tang. Once I get that dialed in, I will know how she does in the accuracy department.

Once I get the issues taken care of and the tang sight installed, I think I am really going to enjoy this 1936 piece of history!

Thanks again for the help!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bro,
From one bro to another bro...your welcome. I have the whole book so if there are any other questions, ask. The Model 63 is a fairly complicated gun and not easily figured out. It would pay to get one of these books....only like $8

Yours from 1936? Mine is 1933. Is yours a rifle or carbine and what's the number? (You can leave out the last two is so desired) Mine is a carbine and the number is one thousand seven hundred and sixty four. ........for some reason my I pad will not change over to numerals sometimes.......

Oh well...oh. Oh......Mine loves CCI mini mags but will put ten shots of CCI Green Tag in a ragged hole at fifty yards. Spray the working parts...yea, get sloppy..... with Rem oil or better yet, EEZOX and it will feed and eject about anything.------6.....(numbers started working again.....I painted them white)

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:Bro,
Yours from 1936? Mine is 1933. Is yours a rifle or carbine and what's the number? (You can leave out the last two is so desired) Mine is a carbine and the number is one thousand seven hundred and sixty four.
Mine is a rifle, 16,1xx
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The world is back in equilibrium now. I made the repairs to the M63.

The cutouts used to adjust the friction between the outer magazine and the inner core was pushed out so there was no friction at all between the two. This out of focus pic shows the pushed out metal between the saw cuts. It looks like somebody stuck a screwdriver up the tube and pried sideways. This removed the friction between the inner and outer tube.
Outer Magazine tube frictionadjustment pushed out Resized 120916.jpg
This pic shows the repaired part. A drill bit was inserted into the tube and the metal was tapped back into shape with a small ball peen hammer.
By straightening out the metal, enough friction between the core and outer tubes to secure the Core tube so it doesn't fall out.
Outer Magazine tube friction adjustment repaired Resized 120916.jpg
The safety was put in backwards as suspected. Flipped it around and all is good now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geobru on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

These are some pics of the gun.
M 63 Lt Side Gun Resized.jpg
M 63 Rt Side Gun resized.jpg
M 63 Lt Side Receiver Resized.jpg
M 63 Rt Side Receiver Resized.jpg
M 63 Marbles Simplex Tang Sight - Resized.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: Model 63 New to me - Photos Added

Post by Sixgun »

Well bro, glad everything worked out for ya. :D

I was setting up to take a picture of mine when I dropped it and it broke in two. I took a picture anyway and tomorrow I'll see if I can get someone to weld it back into one piece.

Great guns these old Winchesters are. They work great and your never "spending" money on a nice quality gun...shoot it, enjoy it, show it off, shoot some more and one dreadful day when it's time to sell, you get your money back plus about 5% a year interest. I remember when I was making 10% a year. This seldom seen carbine with the four digit number set me back 2 and a half about 5 years ago. It was d&t ed for a receiver sight...but a niiiccceee sight.....click adjustable series 70 Redfield----6

JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

bubba can fix that rite up for you ,i'm sure of it. :roll:
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:Well bro, glad everything worked out for ya. :D

I was setting up to take a picture of mine when I dropped it and it broke in two. I took a picture anyway and tomorrow I'll see if I can get someone to weld it back into one piece.
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b44 ... cwjgjn.jpg[/img][/url]
Six,
I have an old stick welder. Send that puppy right on over to my house and I'll fix it up for you!

No charge!

Bro
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

geobru wrote:Bro
That made my evening! Stay cool.................."Bro" :D