Thanksgiving day Doe that surprized me.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Thanksgiving day Doe that surprized me.

Post by EdinCT »

I have had a poor season deer hunting and hadn't killed any. I usually have 2-3 by this time. Well I had evidence of a small buck behind the house but had put 4 or more days in several trees during archery season with no sightings along rub lines.
I hunted a friends farm 2 miles down the road and saw two but couldn't get a shot because of brush.
Well Thanksgiving day my wife asked me to be home by 10 am to help prepare for the folks coming so I went out back and thought I'll take in the morning and be out by 9:30.
Around 8:40 I look over my shoulder and see a large doe traveling behind me. I had my 45/70 loaded with 300 gr Speers over 50 gr of Reloader 7 and took a shot that missed! I levered a second and got out on her neck and fired. She piled right there. I was surprised in two ways One I missed the first easier shot, Second I cranked around the tree and killed it on a full run on the second.
When I walked up to her I thought what a hoss of a doe and grabbed a hind leg to put it out of a thicket and saw it wasn't a doe but a 2 1/2year old buck most likely and for the first time getting a good look at its head it appeared to have damaged its antlers while in velvet.
At first I thought hate to put a buck tag on this but then reminded myself its a buck, if I had really looked I should of seen what was left of the antlers. I hunt for venison 1st and the Lord blessed me on Thanksgiving with meat so I better be thankful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Thanksgiving day Doe that surprized me.

Post by Les Staley »

Congrats on the freezer filler. I took one on Thanksgiving morning, too. A husky 6oint walked across the meadow right where I had my camp trailer set up about 90 yds out and I piled him up. Short drag! I was alone for the day, as my son and his buddy were coming up that evening, so was thankful for the close to camp success!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Here's a picture. Image
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

That's a nice eating buck also Les. I see I am not the only one to tape up a stainless rifle. I have one of the first inlines T/C came out with and taped as much as I could because it felt like a neon sign in the woods. I am using my 338 for a cow elk hunt at the end of the month and thought maybe I should tape that one also, While I like the idea of stainless rifles I have got to admit they seem to shine bright in the sun.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

again Red Green would be proud of you guys.That rack must have got hit by a bus or something.but the meat will be the same.
congrats to you both. :D
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good shootin' guys. ...a neck shot with a 300 gr. going 1800....never knew what hit him.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

EdinCT wrote:
While I like the idea of stainless rifles I have got to admit they seem to shine bright in the sun.

IMO, they stand out even more in the dim twilight hours, early & late in the day, when deer seem to move the most.

Nice harvest's, fella's - I passed on a few skipper's this year, but fortunately can count on my Son for some donated venison (he takes several each year via archery, within our state's 8 deer limit).

I have hopes of connecting with a mature whitetail during our short (1 week) late antlerless season, after Christmas Day.

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Good shooting Ed. I shot a little spike one year thinking it was a doe. I hunt for meat also and would like to get a doe before season is over. Good eating and hope you have more luck.