Scoping the winchester Angle eject 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Scoping the winchester Angle eject 94

Post by FOTIS »

Is there a way where you can scope it (ie Weaver bases rings) and be able to remove the scope and still access the open sights?

I have a set of weaver bases on my 30-30 and them "block" looking bases completely cover the sights. Especially on mine that shoots kinda high to begin with and the rear sight has to go all the way down even with a .55" high front sight. Any help?????

This is what I have, as you can see the rear seems to be a foot high!!!! LOL

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scoping the winchester Angle eject 94

Post by Pete44ru »

Weaver's applications chart shows the proper bases to be #95 (rear) & #94 (front).

The Weaver base(s) sighting channel, relieved in the center of the base(s) should allow sighting access to the open barrel sights.

It looks like the sighting channel on your bases could use some deepening (file/grind the channel down to the level of the installed screw heads & camo the grind with a black Sharpie)

The Weaver system will allow returning the scope fairly close to zero after R&R's - provided that the proper method of installing the scope is used (removing any forward/backward play).

Best practice indicates that in order to do so, before the scope in installed in the rings, the front ring is placed on the front base and held forward against the stop while tightening the ring attachment screw to that base.
Similarly, the rear ring should be biased towards the rear while tightening that ring's screw.

If your open sights are shooting too high @ 100yds, especially with the rer open sight adjusted all the way "down", your rifle needs a taller front sight blade in order to zero it.

If you measure the distance that the POI is above the POA @ 100yds, you can calculate the proper front sight height needed: http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Sight_ ... ?lid=13186

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

With weaver rings, a quarter fits the screw slot. If you used the complete weaver set up and had a damaged scope, you can remove it it about a minute. then you could use the irons. If your using a 2x8x33 or 1.5 x5 like me, low power is about the same as irons so no need to remove a scope without damage.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

I agree I should be able to use the sights with the scope removed but with a #95 rear base not even remotely close~

I guess I have to start removing. As for the front sight I guess I need like a .67" high....Good luck with that I guess........
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I seriously doubt the height of the rear base is the entire issue, its as tall as it is to match the height of the front base. They plane out the same height so the rings fit correctly. The front base is fairly thin, it just sits on something that's higher, the receiver ring.

I don't believe you can grind the channel in the center much deeper on the front base, the screws are in the channel.

There are see-through rings, but I find them to be hideously poor at correctly locating the scope for quick use, and add distractions to use the irons. They are supposed to somehow be "the best of both", but seem more like the worst of both. Such rings I believe are part of the reason many don't like scopes and find them slow. Yeah, in terrible rings they can be. With the scope set up properly, the crosshair should appear like magic right on whatever you were looking at before throwing the rifle up.

If you want the ability to use the irons if the scope dies (which is not common with decent scopes) you can use Torx screws for the bases and carry the tool in your pocket (like an allen wrench), or carry a Leatherman with the screwdriver tip ground to fit the screws.

What rear sight does your gun have? Is it the factory sight with the two small binding screws holding the sight plate to the base? If so, you should be able to raise it some to match a taller front sight without having to jack the elevator all the way up. The screws are intended to allow adjustment, not just hold the sight together.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Malamute wrote:
What rear sight does your gun have? Is it the factory sight with the two small binding screws holding the sight plate to the base?
Yes sir that is the one but like I said at 25 yards I had to move the whole sight and the leaf part (with the 2 screws) all the way down. In fact if you look closely the previous owner took a file to the notch of the rear sight to make it lower! And this is with a tall .55" front sight!

I bet I can get it done with a Skinner .7" sight but man that is TALL!!!! Probably snag on everything! :lol:

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Whatever happened to the "low swing" mounts that were available many years ago? Side mount with a big hinge so the scope could be swung to the left leaving the barrel sights unimpeded. I had one on something and it seemed to work okay, holding it's zero.

Then Redfield made a mount that had a flip up peep after the scope was removed. I had one of those too. Had to use it one time when my Weaver 4X fogged up in a snow storm. Was glad I had it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Sir:

I think you're referring to the now defunct Weaver pivot mounts.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes, that is a problem. I believe your front base does look a bit thicker than some Ive seen. I just measured one I have access to, its .120" thick right on top of the receiver ring.

The guns with the front sight dovetailed right into the barrel are harder to get tallish sights on compared to the ramped guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You might investigate replacing the barrel-mounted front sight with a Williams "Shorty" ramp, which has an adaptor that clamps the ramp into the barrel dovetail from beneath the ramp (aka: invisible), and will allow the installation of a new front sight blade of your choosing (gold, ivory, or fiber-optic bead), in the proper height for zeroing.

I would further suggest you investigate the availability of an older set of "Weaver-type" bases that have a deeper sighting channel milled down the center of the base(s), so there will be a better sight picture with the scope removed.

Having said all that, IME (50+ years of hard hunting) although I've thought I would need to, I've NEVER had occasion to remove a scope so I could use iron sights.

The caveat, however, is that I've always used high-quality (no fogging, etc) low-powered scopes, like 2x, 3x, x or 1x-3x, etc - which act like peepsights for me.

FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

finally got a shorty ramp on it!

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

FOTIS wrote:I agree I should be able to use the sights with the scope removed but with a #95 rear base not even remotely close~

I guess I have to start removing. As for the front sight I guess I need like a .67" high....Good luck with that I guess........
Do you have a set of big bore bases? I remember that the big bores I had... a 307 and a 444 timber carbine took a special set of bases than the regular 94 AE. I don't remember the numbers but they were indeed different and the rear one was thinner if I remember right.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the Big Bore bases (front) is different. I think the receiver ring is slightly larger, so a different radius.

The Leupold bases are thinner.

FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

Well with the shorty ramp I can see the front site but the rear is totally blocked.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The scope bases on your gun are the tallest ive ever seen. Id check what the current Weaver bases measure. The Leupold front base is .180" thick. Sights are usable, not by a lot, but they are.