.45 ACP medium game hunting bullets/loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

.45 ACP medium game hunting bullets/loads?

Post by rjohns94 »

Thoughts? I'm thinking east coast deer, hogs? I'm thinking a large flat Meplat, at or near +P speeds with a hard cast bullet would work. I'm also looking at using a revolver, not a semi-auto.

Side question, model 1917 up to service with such a load?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Re: .45 ACP medium game hunting bullets/loads?

Post by Bulldog »

I don't recall the specifics of the powder charge, but I put together a hard hitting load for my 1911s with the Lee 250 RFN at about 900 fps if I recall. If you're not a bullet caster, Buffalo Bore has a very similar load. I can look up my data when I get home from work if you want it.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=402
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Years ago a buddy of mine used a 1911 ( I built) on hogs. He used mil surplus 230 fmj. At approximately 15 yards, that bullet did NOT make it into the engine room. Was it the gun? No we all know that '11s are accurate and deadly. Was it the old ammo? Possibly...that 230 should have punched clean through but it didn't. It wasn't a huge pig either.
That led to us chasing that pig for a few hours until someone showed up with a 308 and took a long shot to anchor it. We did a through inspection when the pig was gutted, just barely turned the inside of rib cage into a bruise.
That same day I shot a larger pig with my 44 carbine with a 300 XTP at 20+ yards, the pig walked like it was stung by a skeeter. Right through both lungs it continued to walk about 20 yds before it fell over. That XTP went in & out expanding to about 3/4"!

I guess what I'm getting at is test your loads, pick your shots.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I don't think I would push that old 1917 that hard, not sure about the cylinder strength. If I was too, I'd maybe go 6.5 grs of Unique this a 230gr trunce cone like Lee others in their molds. I'm sure happy with mine.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Just my 2 cents. Seems like a .357 with 180grn. Hardcast would be about perfect for your needs, unless, you are set on a .45 auto wheelgun. :?:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I ever get off my lazy butt, I want to load some 255 hardcast to about 800-850(max) for my 625-3. I predict it to be just fine for deer. A mad pig? I don't know.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I haven't used the .45 acp on anything larger than a coyote. If you can get them in range of your hand gunning ability it works real well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My notes from a 1955 Smith target using auto rim brass show 7.5 grains of Unique with a 200 grain Lyman SWC sized at .452 traveling 1104 fps. My notes also show the load is hot which means I would not shoot it out of a 1911 or especially out of a Colt or Smith 1917 which were made before heat treatment of the cylinders.

I'm sure this load would anchor deer out to about 50 yards but having no experience on hogs, I can't recommend it.

Elmer Keith writes in "Sixguns" that he used 7.5 of Unique with his 240-250 grain Keith semi wadcutters out of his target sighted 1917. His testicles were bigger than mine. I would have no reservations using 7 grains behind a 240-250 grain cast with a 1955 or later 45 caliber Smith revolver like Blaines. A wild guess is that the velocity would be in the lower nines and one which would probably drive through an elk at 50 yards.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

A 1911 with std loads WILL work.

These were 230 RN lead loads @ ~900fps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was going to suggest 7.1 grs of Unique under an H&G 68 Flat base bullet, or the Lyman 2 grease grove SWC with the same caveat as what Sixgun said. It is a hot load and regular use can (I've seen it happen) crack frames on 1911s.

But it's a stomper from a gun that can handle it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
You not stating the variables correctly. Texas hogs are known to be thin skinned, unlike the northern variety. :D

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive shot the Lyman 452424 250-260 gr Keith designed bullet in 45 autos. I don't recall the load (around 6 grs Unique) but it was supposed to be around 850 fps, which is factory 45 Colt level loads. I also wouldnt push a vintage 1917 very hard. If wanting a vintage sixgun experience, Id suggest working with a 44 spl calibered gun with much more margin for safety and horsepower, or an early, pre-war 357, reeking of character and class, but certainly up to any early level loads (read hotter than common today) youd care to shoot.

Elmer Keith wrote about shooting out 45 auto revolver (1917) barrels with 5000 rds of jacketed ammo. I dont think it was that the bullets were necessarily the problems (as Keith seems to have presumed), but I believe the relatively soft 1917 barrels he was shooting them in. We know most guns will shoot vastly more jacketed bullets than that and not show any appreciable wear.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I got nothing pushing me tomorrow so I'm gonna chrono a few loads with some heavy weight 454424 in the auto rim. I believe Herco would be the powder to use....slightly slower than Unique ..stay tuned--6

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've seen several fellows just truly F the situation up trying to use a self-defense caliber firearm to hunt hogs. Suffice to say, it wasn't pretty.

I'm sure that there is some load combination that is capable of doing the deed, but I don't know that I'd advocate hunting hogs with a .45 ACP.

I'm sure that my opinion could be swayed by some display of competence that I have not yet witnessed.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I got nothing pushing me tomorrow so I'm gonna chrono a few loads with some heavy weight 454424 in the auto rim. I believe Herco would be the powder to use....slightly slower than Unique ..stay tuned--6
What do you think of HS6? I was going to start with 8.5, AR Brass, and a 255 hardcast.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

HS6? Where did you find that? Great stuff in the 45 ACP in my opinion but I can never find any. Very clean burning.

I have a nice old 1917 cut to 3 1/2 inches that I will chrono some loads in. I think it would work well on 2 legged pigs, er uh miscreants.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

M. M. Wright wrote:HS6? Where did you find that? Great stuff in the 45 ACP in my opinion but I can never find any. Very clean burning.

I have a nice old 1917 cut to 3 1/2 inches that I will chrono some loads in. I think it would work well on 2 legged pigs, er uh miscreants.
Cabela's had it on the shelf last summer. The last few years, I've been buying anything that might be useful in future. Another great find was a 8lb jug of Red Dot.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:
Sixgun wrote:I got nothing pushing me tomorrow so I'm gonna chrono a few loads with some heavy weight 454424 in the auto rim. I believe Herco would be the powder to use....slightly slower than Unique ..stay tuned--6
What do you think of HS6? I was going to start with 8.5, AR Brass, and a 255 hardcast.
Blaine,
I have no experience with HS6 so I just looked at my burn rate charts of which I have 5. 4 listed HS6 as being slower than Herco and one had it faster. Also, as you know, you should never use a burn rate chart to figure out loads but it gives me a good starting point. Then I looked at the Hodgdon manual and as expected, nothing for the heavy weight bullets. Using their loads for the 230 grain cast it lists 8 grains as a top load and being that there's not a whole lot of case capacity in the 45 Auto/Rim case, a half grain means a lot.

So....starting from step one, the knowledge that a 45 Auto cannot be made into a 45 L.Colt factory equivalent is a given....close....but not an equal. . So let's take the 45 l.Colts ability to push a 250 grain cast at 900 fps ......normal pressures.......so that gives us a goal of 850 fps as a top safe load for pushing a 250 gr. cast out of the 45 Auto.........yea, the auto operates at a higher safe pressure than the Colt does but...........yea...(again) :D ......lots of guys state "this 'n that" but without having the gun in front of me and watching for pressure signs, I err on the safe side. Also, using the knowledge that a 250 gr cast going 900 fps has the unquestionable ability to drive through both sides of a deer and probably an elk at close range let's me know that a 250 cast at 850 fps goal from the 45 Auto is a realistic and damaging thumper on hogs or deer up to about 50 yards.

I think HS-6 would be an excellent powder to get a heavy bullet moving out of a smallish case for top velocities. That's why I chose Herco last night over faster powders.

For HS-6, I'd start at 7.5 grains, chrono and look for signs of pressure, but I think 8.5 grains should be approached with caution. Not sure if you have a chrono or not, but it sure makes the job easier. Your gun will more than handle it but when working with small cases, a half grain of powder would be the same as 3 grains in a 30-30 sized case.------6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks guys.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

My experience with hogs (scores of them), is that assuming a load that will work wonders on deer will work the same way on hogs, is a HUGE mistake! Hogs make deer seem like cream puffs. Their muscles and bones are much more dense, and that doesn't even include the gristle plate over the chest. I have had a number of caliber/bullet combinations that would shoot right through a large deer (150# plus) barely penetrate enough in a small hog (less than 150#) to reach the vitals.
If I had to shoot a hog with a 45 ACP revolver, I would choose as heavy a hard-cast lead bullet I could drive over 800 fps, and then wait for a broadside lung shot. Then, I would have a decent-sized rifle or shotgun loaded with heavy bullets or slugs (no buckshot), in case I had to follow a wounded pig into the brush.
I personally have no interest in hunting hogs with anything less than a 41 magnum handgun or a 357 magnum rifle. Remember, the largest hogs (the trophy boars) may run three hundred pounds or more. I arm myself accordingly.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just got the new "Handloader" magazine and there's a full article on the 45 auto rim cartridge in there...........lots of regular and +P Loads from the 180-280 grain bullets. Great read---------------------6