Aging Eyes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Aging Eyes

Post by Wildgoose »

Reading a lot of comments in the posts form and responses to them its obvious a lot of us are dealing with failing eyesight. Where its hit me the hardest is shooting in BPCR type events. One of the guys I shoot with who is younger noted in an off hand comment when we were discussing the days match results around the camp fire that he was finally getting to the level I used to be at when he first started shooting with our little group. He was right and he mint it as a complement and it was taken as one. But it sure brought home the fact that my shooting was on the down hill side of life. Like a lot of other things when it comes to health. But as long as I can still shoot I intend to keep on doing so and there are some things one can do to compensate at least a bit. For this next year I finally made the decision to stop holding out and going to the scope class instead of iron sights. I guess I always knew it was coming but getting older kind of goes hand in hand with be wee bit stubborn. So I sold off one of my long range rifles that was in .45-110 SS to finance putting a match legal scope on my milder recoiling .45-70 roller. Just had enough time to try it out before the season ran out. At least now I can really see what I am trying to hit. :wink: The target below was shot off the bench at 300 yards using one of my smokless loads that duplicates the black powder load I use when smokless is not allowed or I just feel like using black. The velocity is almost exactly the same and uses the same soft cast bullet and wad.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Aging Eyes

Post by Pete44ru »

To my aging eyes, that rifle sure looks good ! . :mrgreen:

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm 77 and the eyes are going. I can still get by with a tang sight for hunting but even my muzzle loader has a scope on it. My roller has a cheap tang sight on it too but I don't shoot it much though I have a load for it that really works well.

I sure like your roller and that Malcom scope. Are the optics nice and clear in it?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Excellent report. My eyes have gone from open sights, to "peep" sights, to some scopes (I don't want to 'scope my Garand!)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

Great shooting. I know all about trying to shoot open sights. I have gotten bad enough that I am in the process of putting reflex sights on most of my pistols. It makes me think I am 25 again, or at least 55...............JOE
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a very decent 300 yard group in my books. All my classic Winchesters now have tang peep sights for my 62 year-old eyes.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice shootin and nice rifle. 8)
My eyes are bad close up so a peep sight is a blur for me because its too close.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I really had to admit that things weren't like they used to be when my kids started outshooting me. I taught them pretty good. The Corps taught them a thing or two, and the eldest outclassed us all when he went to sniper school. Heck, he taught me a thing or two after that, and they worked.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I can still use them all but not as well as I used to...at 62.....had my optician ground me a half power bi focal that he put on the top of the lens...everything is clear except the target.

Here's something I bet a lot of guys don't know.....as you age, it's even hard to see clearly with a scope. I used a decent quality Bushnell spotting scope for 30 years and I could see .22 holes at 300 meters...then only 200 meters....finally only at 100 meters. So......thinking the scope was going bad, I spend a bit over a g for a Leupold spotting scope and the guys at the club were all over it, exclaiming how sharp it is...blah...blah.....

It really did not help much at all...for me.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Another thing about "antique scopes"......like you have there. If you have rifles with the same length barrel and diameter, all you have to do is put blocks in the dovetails.

I had MVA make me a 36" and it's only a couple of screws to switch it from my Hi-Wall 40-82 to the heavy barreled 1881 Marlin in 40-60. As bullet weights are near identical it's only one turn of the elevation screw to be "on".-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

M. M. Wright wrote:I'm 77 and the eyes are going. I can still get by with a tang sight for hunting but even my muzzle loader has a scope on it. My roller has a cheap tang sight on it too but I don't shoot it much though I have a load for it that really works well.

I sure like your roller and that Malcom scope. Are the optics nice and clear in it?
The optics are very good due to it being a modern made reproduction of the Malcom scope and mounts. It was produced by RHO Instrument Co. for several years. Randy Oats was the gent who founded the company. He was one of first to start making period correct scopes for the BPCR crowd and for vintage lever guns but has since stopped making them. There are a few others like Montana Vintage Arms who are still in the game. I picked this one up form a fellow BPCR shooter. Its a different game using a scope as opposed to the varnier tang sights I am so familiar with but it's going to be fun to learn.

Here is a pic of the old tang sight. I am debating as to if I should sell it or just hang on to it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh what I have to look forward to! I'm 47, knees are shot, couple of iffy disks...
My eyes are good except for the astigisims in each eye, of course they are on the bias. I'm great at distance, good up close only issue is reading street signs! But I do notice there is a point up close where nothing is focused. Guess it's time to go see eye doc.

Love those rolling blocks! I would like to find one that needs a rebuild!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice rig,good shootin !