New AR kit Works!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New AR kit Works!

Post by 2ndovc »

This was my second snap together AR attempt. Stopped by the range this morning between rain storms to see if it worked. The upper is a Stoner in 7.62x39 that was on sale at Midway for $299 w/ the bolt and carrier. The lower is an Anderson w/ their parts kit and some left over Ruger stuff. I have about $475 into the whole thing.

The Stoner/ ASC magazine I bought with it didn't have the best reviews but it went through 60 rounds w/o a problem. I was just poppin' rounds at some stuff left behind at the gun club ( time for a clean up day) but the bullets were going where I was pointing them. Good enough for Minute of BG for now, I'll spend more time with it on a nicer day.

Need to order some more magazines! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: New AR kit Works!

Post by wecsoger »

Good on you!

I had a similar post, where I was calling the AR platform "commodity guns".

Assembling a working, sub-half kilo-buck shooter is a piece of cake these days, which kind of showing you where the AR market is going. Or at, right now.

Fifteen years ago, who would have thunk it?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's for sure! I have another lower that I'm thinking should be a long rage Zombie Killer. Think that will be fun, and like you said they'll be worth big $ after the snowflakes get back in charge.

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Minute of BG for now
:shock: :o :shock: :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

Very nice! I saw those uppers on sale at Midway too, but held off since I'm saving up for my next build in 6.5 Grendel. My last 2, both 300 Blackout, 1 rifle, one "pistol", I build with 80% lowers. I'll never buy a serial numbered lower again.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool that a little over a week's pay for even an entry-level worker* can get you a sub-MOA militia rifle.

I'm sure our nation's founding citizens would have liked to have such a practical hunting/defense rifle at such a low price...!

AND to have such a firearm be so intuitive and easy to shoot, that someone who has never even shot a gun at all can, within a matter of an hour or so, develop the skill level needed to hit a grapefruit at 100 yards 90% of the time from a bench, and a basketball at 25 yards 90% of the time standing.

If it weren't for the presence of a complicit, crooked, dishonest, and illegitimate 'news' media, trying to become a tyrant these days would be pretty darned difficult...!

* note - to the libertarian and true republican citizen, that means a young, as-yet-unskilled worker who has the potential to become a very successful person; to the RINO and liberal progressive, that means someone so unenlightened and stupid that if they don't vote Democrat, they are to be ridiculed and scoffed at.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice set up, an AR in 7.62x39 is a GREAT plinker and hunting rifle with the right ammo.
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Paladin wrote:Nice set up, an AR in 7.62x39 is a GREAT plinker and hunting rifle with the right ammo.
That's pretty much what this one's going to be. Keeping it cheap for a knock about. Other than some more magazines I'm going to up grade the butt stock with a Magpul. The Ruger stock stinks and it's too short for this
knuckle dragger. Maybe a light rail to clip on the Surfire for cabin/ camp duty. Oh, and a decent sling.

jb 8)

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I may have been bitten by the AR 15 bug :D was at the range yesterday (cold) and a young guy there said "hey, try this out" it was a Troy AR with a 10" barrel and muzzle brake, a real hoot to shoot :D :D . He had lots of 223 so I had a big pile of empties to pick up!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote:Nice set up, an AR in 7.62x39 is a GREAT plinker and hunting rifle with the right ammo.
I have a 300 Blackout AR, and am slowly getting to feel the same way about it. The subsonic/suppressed option adds both a lot of different applications, but also the need to work through the load options and settle on a just a couple to keep sighting and so on simple. That dual-reticle Leupold scope would probably help a lot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've always had one around. Now I find myself wanting to have a couple different versions. I still want a 9mm and 20" A2 style rifle. One of then needs to be another Colt to replace the one I had.

Anyway, just having fun and taking advantage of a surplus of parts and guns. :D

jb 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I tell everybody who will listen, if you have ever thought you might want an AR NOW is the time to get one.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Wildgoose »

Yep, this one has done for two white tails so far. Using a handloaded Hornady 123 grain PSP. I used it two years ago and my youngest grand son used it this last season. Parts kit and a Sota Arms upper from a local gun show.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've got two more to put together. One is going to be a 20" HBAR (already have the lower & barrel), but I'm waiting for the right upper to be on sale. The lower is a billet, and so I want the upper to be a billet also. The other is going to be my first SBR & suppressed rifle. Not sure what caliber I want it in. But, I'm leaning toward the 300BO.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!