shooting 22 shorts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

shooting 22 shorts

Post by AndyM »

Does anyone have any ideas - what 22 shorts are the quietest? I have a Winchester 9422 and a Remington pump 22 rifle that can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles - and I am thinking about sighting the remington in for shorts - to be able to take care of some "pests" that visit my yard. I live on a wooded 1 acre lot and do have to be concerned about noise level but will need some more omph than a bb gun.

Thoughts?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Get the Aguila Super Colibris (quietest), CCI CB (short or long rifle case) next quietest. It is almost all about placement. Get as close as you need to.

I think the standard and HV .22 Shorts are just too noisy for use in a confined location where you want quiet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Super Colibri's are about as silent as they come. I have found that, for some reason, CBLongs are quieter than CBShorts.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My friend has had a pile of squirrels under his spanish tile roof lately. He was looking for a pellet gun when I turned him on to CCI CB Shorts. We used Paco's Accurizer to make "scorpion" bullets. So far we've killed 7, all with one shot to the head or shoulder. I even shot a racoon and an opossum at the ranch this weekend with the same ammo. Very quiet and deadly. In my opinion, the longer the barrel the less noise they seem to make. There is a noticable difference between the 4" handgun, 16 1/2 in rifle and 24 in rifle that we've shot them from, but none are as loud as a regular .22short or LR.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep. Ditto for Super Colibris.

Out of the High Standard, the Super Colibris are just below being too loud to shoot indoors without earplugs.

But out of my .22 rifles, the Super Colibris make less noise than a .177 Pellet gun.

And they are deadly on squirrels out to reasonable (pellet gun) ranges.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

86er wrote:My friend has had a pile of squirrels under his spanish tile roof lately. He was looking for a pellet gun when I turned him on to CCI CB Shorts. We used Paco's Accurizer to make "scorpion" bullets. So far we've killed 7, all with one shot to the head or shoulder. I even shot a racoon and an opossum at the ranch this weekend with the same ammo. Very quiet and deadly. In my opinion, the longer the barrel the less noise they seem to make. There is a noticable difference between the 4" handgun, 16 1/2 in rifle and 24 in rifle that we've shot them from, but none are as loud as a regular .22short or LR.

Barrel lenght makes a real difference. Out of my NAA revolver the colibris and CBs still make a pretty good pop. From my 30" barreled Martini the striker makes more noise that the bullet.

Whacked a pretty good sized woodchuck last year with a CB short. Wasn't an instant kill but he didn't last long.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Another vote for CB's.
I use the CB longs in my 22 with a 24in barrel. You can hear the the firing pin.
Last year both the tree rats and rabbits had some terrible mange thing going on. CB's cleaned that up.
Before that I had raised rabbits which attracted a lot of unwelcome guest.
Had a pretty good system too. My 25 plus pound rabbit would thump the floor of her hutch when she was alarmed, I'd poke my head out the upstairs window and take care of the critter.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My M39 has a long enough barrel that anybody's shorts are just plain silent.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

There are also BB caps which have no powder, just the primer.

Do not shoot them in long barreled rifle's they may not make it out . :wink: Don't ask me how I know. :shock:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lefty Dude wrote:There are also BB caps which have no powder, just the primer.

Do not shoot them in long barreled rifle's they may not make it out . :wink: Don't ask me how I know. :shock:
As some of you might know, Colibris and Super Colibris have a warning not to use them in rifle barrels due to that very thing, the bullet sticking. In 5000 plus rounds now, I've not had it happen once and the gun I use is my Winchester 72 with 24" barrel.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

I also love the Super Colibris but have found the accuracy not as good as the CCI CBs. I,ve also experienced a bullet not making it out of the barrel of my 24" 39 but it probably had more to do with the fact I had not cleaned the gun in over 500 rds :D .
I use them to shoot carpenter bees out of the air. great wingshooting!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

If I don't see impact or see a hole in the target, I get out the ol' bore light and check it out when using CB's or Colibris.
Never had that problem yet though, with the Marlin 39, Glenfield 70, or Marlin 60.
If the rat is dead after you pull the trigger, you know the barrel is not plugged. :wink: Actually, in my experience, the impact sound is louder than the gun firing, when shooting at a cardboard box when using the Colibis.
otteray