Garmin sucks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Garmin sucks

Post by GunnyMack »

Trying to deal with Garmin tech support is a joke.
They replay to emails DAYS after.
Trying to speak to someone takes hours on hold.
They do not ship in a timely fashion.

I have a dog ' training' collar that started to not work. So I got on their website to look for support. I couldn't get through on the phone so I sent an email. They say 24 hour replies, yeah multiple that by 3!

Ok great, if you say it's the battery send me a replacement.
But it still doesn't work.
Oh the transmitter is bad you say.
Ship me a new one, yes charge me double and refund me when mine is returned, just get it in the mail! I'm still bird hunting and I need it. Yes I'm willing to pay for the expedited shipping (5-7 days is expedited?)

That was on Jan 19th, their support system says they are still waiting for me to ship mine back.

Garmin sucks! Too big for their britches!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Garmin sucks

Post by Terry Murbach »

WE prefer Charman ourselves....

ba-ba-ba BING...

And so it goes...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unsure how Garmin keeps their doors open with their poor service, and many problems.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'll tell ya what works....takes longer.......write them a letter and certify it. "ATTN:LEAD MANAGER OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT". Nobody writes letters anymore. Explaine you have taken every possible course of action to no avail.

...e-mail?......poof!...gone......phone call?.....you get hooked up with an individual with the IQ of a carrot.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I posted last week about my garmin gps not working. After Garmin telling me to just buy a new one I actually got an email asking me to take a survey. Haha. I took it alright. Then I threw my GPS down on my workbench and I kid you not...it fired up and works for now. I copied all my coordinates down so I can enter them into another gps when I get one.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

IQ of a carrot- love that 6 ! Have to remember that one.
Good idea about writing them, I might just do that.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Knocking on wood....The Garmin in my truck has been working fine. The free updates at any time are nice and easy. Garmin updates their map server about twice a month. The voice has never failed to get me to the proper address. Traffic updates seem to be accurate.
I'm not questioning your experience, just feeling lucky. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Blaine that's because you aren't dealing with any people, just the computers talking!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Ask for "Shareholder Relations".

And/Or make their manufacturing facility a "must do" on your next road trip.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:Knocking on wood....The Garmin in my truck has been working fine. The free updates at any time are nice and easy. Garmin updates their map server about twice a month. The voice has never failed to get me to the proper address. Traffic updates seem to be accurate.
I think the Garmins for helping us navigate in our vehicles are quite different! I love mine also, and it's never given me a problem. The reviews for various vehicle Garmin GPS's are also great! It seems the Rhino variations just don't have the same quality built into them. Maybe packing too much stuff into a very small package!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Knocking on wood....The Garmin in my truck has been working fine. The free updates at any time are nice and easy. Garmin updates their map server about twice a month. The voice has never failed to get me to the proper address. Traffic updates seem to be accurate.
I think the Garmins for helping us navigate in our vehicles are quite different! I love mine also, and it's never given me a problem. The reviews for various vehicle Garmin GPS's are also great! It seems the Rhino variations just don't have the same quality built into them. Maybe packing too much stuff into a very small package!
I can't speak for other areas, but the places I go off on forest service roads, the Garmin has a great deal, not all, of those roads marked. Between the Garmin, and The Gazzateer, I'm pretty sure of where I'm at.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Garmin is on its way out and they know it. The smart phones 90% of the public now have will do GPS just as good and usually better, often with real time traffic conditions. They will be fondly remembered along with 8-track tapes and phonograph records...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

In this case, Garmin took over Tri Tronics dog training. This was after they were lea reds in GPS tech. Just another corporate take over that wasn't needed- GREED!
I really don't have a problem with take overs but when they take over and put everything under one roof it always goes down hill.

I have factory GPS in my truck and Jeep. Jeep has never had an issue. But every year I get an update letter for the truck, $200 for a CD! I have only done 1 update in 10 years.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BlaineG wrote:
I can't speak for other areas, but the places I go off on forest service roads, the Garmin has a great deal, not all, of those roads marked. Between the Garmin, and The Gazzateer, I'm pretty sure of where I'm at.
Haven't used mine for off road runs. Just traveling or going somewhere I've never been before.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Haven't used mine for off road runs. Just traveling or going somewhere I've never been before.
It's hit and miss off road. You have to pay attention to your direction, and your internal GPS between your ears.....It gives me a warm fuzzy when I see I'm heading toward a hard top road. 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The unit in my truck, not being updated in many years has some missing maps.
I get a kick out of it when we go to Quebec every summer, part of the roads have been moved and the maps shows that you are driving through the woods. It's constantly 'finding alternating route' then it starts yelling that 'you are off specified route' I just look at it and tell it to shut up.

As for the GPS in my phone, I keep my LOCATION turned off. I know a guy that had Pocket Ranger app, he kept wondering why the game wardens seemed to turn up every time he went hunting. Seems they can find you with a few taps of a key board!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!