9422 Magnum project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

9422 Magnum project

Post by mohavesam »

I picked up a 9422M made in '73 that needs some work. It was unfortunately modified by some distracted bubba and the magazine-barrel stud (not a band) were welded (yup) into the dovetails. The receiver has been milled to install a Williams peep, which I hate, but it will likely remain there despite being .030" oversize for the sight. The idiot who did the work never re-blued the barrel or other areas and the original stock has a screw through the wrist for some reason - I suspect the stock loosened from doing the metalwork while the wood was still attached?

I have shot this rifle (after flattening the razorblade sight on top) it makes the first round into a 1" target at 50 yards rested, so the barrel is VG in functionality, but my eyes need a perfect contrasting background to see the blade. Otherwise, it is a good woods-stompin short rifle... begging for a small red dot...

I know there are some 9422 experts here, so thoughts or sympathy please? 8)
Last edited by mohavesam on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 9422 Magnum restoration project - help

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I'm no expert but if you are lucky, the welds didn't penetrate very deep( hoping Bubba turned down the amperage) and you can file off the extra metal, might just get the sight out.
If not, then you could just file off the post , contour it to the barrel, file a new dove tail and install a new post.
As for the extra screw in the forend, your guess is as good as mine!
Would like to see the weld job, I you can get a close up...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

numrich has new old stock barrels for reasonable price , 60$ , in stock right now

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... results=50

scroll down to item # 26
cable
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

sold out by 8pm here. would make life easier with this.

I'm figuring on turning the welded zones to diameter and cutting the OAL down if the build-up doesn't take the BO.
I'll do beforeandafter pics, but Image
what do you know about early 9422s?
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 9422 Magnum restoration project

Post by GunnyMack »

Chromoly steel( barrel steel) do not weld very well. Normally a lot of pitting.
I think in this case it's best to have that milled out. Most likely be able to reuse same dove tail.
I suppose a torch handy guy could silver solder some steel to the sides to build the thickness of the post.

While I was getting my gumsmiff training one of the instructors always said 'it doesn't hurt to try' in this case, you can try to save this barrel. With none on the market and I'm guessing you don't want to spend on a rebarrel you are at the TRY stage. Good luck & keep us posted!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

mohavesam said:
it makes the first round into a 1" target at 50 yards rested
That's pretty good. If as you say, you're not interested in a full restoration and the rifle "functions well" why not file the welds smooth and do a cold blue on it - Oxpho 44 maybe and refinish the stock and fore end? My eyes, at age 73, aren't what they used to be and on a couple three guns that I have without a contrasting color on the back of the sight blade I use either orange or white sight paint on the back of the sight blades.

As to the Williams receiver sight - is the disk removable and if so isn't there a disk with a smaller aperture hole available from Brownells?

Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck with your rifle.
ED
Yer never too old
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

I am not going to restore this one inasmuch but will make it pretty. The problem I have with the Williams peep is not the aperture, so much as they just look like amateur-hour the way they are built. Like they never progressed past the first design that seemed to work?
That, and the relief that bubba cut into the receiver is much too long. :roll: More to fix.

In 1972-73 I figure Winchester did not yet know what a winner they had in the 9422 and some variations went out? It will shoot!
-A. Einstein