February 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

February 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by Griff »

This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot. You can submit either a picture or a scanned image. Feel free to include a description or photo of your equipment in your submission post. See rule #7... if we don't know who you are, you can't win... February 1 -28.

BASIC Rules: - let's keep it simple -

1. Repeating Lever-action rifle, center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal).
2. Shot in the free standing position. (unsupported)
3. Iron sights or tang sights ONLY - no fancy stuff - scopes etc.
4. B6 target - (link to download and print a copy below).
5. 10 Shots only
6. 50 yards (ish)
7. Image of target and with name and date written on target, posted for consideration.
8. A maximum of 4 targets submitted for each Calendar month.
9. Your highest score counts.
10. Winner posted at the beginning of the next Calendar month.
11. Open to all members of the forum as of February 1st, 2017.

Approved target:

http://www.silvercitygunclub.com/PDF/b6.pdf

Scoring: Count 10,9,8 and 7 if you hit the paper. A hit on the line counts to the next highest value. Where there is a tie the most Xs hit in the 10 ring will be the tie- breaker!

Edited to inset a link to the braggin' & ribbin' topic!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: February 2017 Levergun Postal Match

Post by Griff »

Today it got up to 50ºF and my son & I went over to RKrodles to shoot a little.

Rickey joined us outside in the chill air and slight breeze! We shot my M-1 and figured out it was 9" low at 50 yards... All three of us shot at the same target, with Rickey taking the honors by a point! We took pics after each of us shot to compare and figure out the scores.

then we shot Rickey's 336 Youth by Remlin, really smooth, nicely finished and a great trigger... dagnabit, it shot where it was pointed. Then a couple shots with my '66 Centennial and figured out it was about 12" high at that 50 yard distance.

Then Rickey & I tried our hand at the Levergunner Challenge... 50 Yards off hand with an iron-sighted, pistol caliber levergun... for this we both shot my Uberti 1873 with a 18" ½-round/octagon barrel in 45 Colt. This time we used some of my cowboy ammo, a 225 grain truncated cone from a RCBS 45-225-CAV mold over 6 grains of RedDot!

I'm blaming the results on the cold! I was up first, and Rickey said I shot all ten shots in about 10 seconds! It shows

Next was Rickey... and I think he shot just about as fast!

Then we just had time to clean up and Rickey was kickin' us out... he had a DATE! Imagine that, throwin' off his buddies so he could go out... with a chick!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Griff, it sure was fun having ya'll come over and shoot today. I do believe I need to put in more offhand shooting time, that '66 of yours is a sweet shooter but I couldn't do it justice. Sorry about cutting the shooting short but she is a lot easier on the eyes then you two and much more fun to kiss. :D
Ricky

DWWC
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hey! At least you fellows got out to shoot: I'm down right envious. We are being blessed with one of those "Chinook" winds here today -- warm wind that will reduce our snow levels significantly: fairly serious wind -- like 40 knots of the stuff. But I have my levergun challenge loads built up ready to go when I get a chance -- going to try standing on my hind legs with the Rossi 454 with some modest loads and see if it'll throw a bullet to 50 yards. I've made the discovery that I can shoot a peep sight better wearing my reading glasses than with those danged multi-focal things I wear when I want to see "things".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Alright, I'll get in on this - as it will be good practice for my lever gun silhouette matches.
Broke out the rifle I shoot my best scores with - Marlin 1894CL in 32-20.
Downloaded the target and set at 50 yards - even at 50 yards that black bull is huge, I kept loosing the front bead in it. I'm much more used to the a23 target I'm shooting the .22 postal matches with. None-the-less I did alright for a dark dreary day. Maybe next time in better light I can get better front sight placement and bring the 9's closer, or into the 10's.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Dang, that's going to be tough to beat, Traveler. Good shooting!
Hoping to get out to give it a try sometime this month (got another snow dump today-- when will Winter ever slow down?).
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Baja Traveler, that 96 score is confirmed... are you sure that "10" at about 10:30 ain't just cutting the "X" ring... even the tiniest bit... I'm generous...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Griff wrote:Baja Traveler, that 96 score is confirmed... are you sure that "10" at about 10:30 ain't just cutting the "X" ring... even the tiniest bit... I'm generous...
It's touching the ring, but did not break it. I'm more strict I guess - if the boundary isn't broken I don't count it. No matter - I intend to try again next week and improve this score!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I realized this can't actually be a legal entry, but I thought it would be of some interest to post.

Here's the target, shot with a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt (using Remington LRN factory loads):

Not too bad a group, but high and to the left (...haven't listened to enough Rush Limbaugh lately I guess... :D ). If I were more centered, and didn't have that apparent 'flyer' down low, it would have been great.

The key word is 'IF'... :lol:

If it would have been a bear, or deer, or two-leg, I'd have connected, but the gun is more often pointed at a raccoon or possum, or feral cat, and I'm sure I would have MISSED those (except for the 'flyer' shot [ uh oh - maybe THAT was my good shot, and all the others were flyers...! :o ]

However, in my defense, the group was fired after dark, because I had been itching to shoot a levergun, and had some targets I'd printed up stashed in the weatherproof box at the 'range house' (a sort of square 'gazebo' I made out back where there was a 100 yard range to a backstop, but the ground was either too swampy to stand and shoot from most of the year, or on a very steep slope hard to stand on). So I just went out after I got home, and by golly shot my levergun... 8) 8)

Now technically, the gun does have 'iron sights', and when shooting in daylight, I sometimes use them, but after getting back in the house with the target, I realized that the flashlight may not have been against the rules, but even though is has no-magnification, the Burris FastFire-II was an 'optic'... :(

Here's the Rossi 'Night Scout' I used:

Here is the sight picture I could have used (but definitely not at night).....

.....but here is the sight picture I actually used..... :oops:

I think if I get a chance this weekend, I'll try the same thing in daylight - because I honestly don't think I'd shoot it as well in daylight, based on experience, although I've not shot it for 10-shot paper groups. I think one advantage at night might have been that there was no wind, and no 'distractions' in that all I could really see was the target, and putting the red-dot in the middle of the black glob seemed easy. I also might try the same thing (in daytime) using the open sights instead of the red-dot, and see how it goes. I can shoot really well with a Williams FP, or even a Marble's "Bullseye", but have never been much for the square-blade and notch type sights on any type of gun. I like the fine Marlin gold-bead though, but better with an aperture rear than a 'notch' one.

It is a neat setup though, for bump-in-the-night use (especially with the combination of laser AND holo-dot sights). If I wanted to be 'traditional', the holo-dot and laser are on a quick-detach B-Square mount and come of in an instant. The Coast 'LED-Lenser' light is likewise quickly removable, as it is simply on 30mm scope rings (I use the same light on my 10/22 and AR-15 and a Saiga).

More on the 'Night Scout' project(s) - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff wrote:This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot.
Reiterated for EM-PHAS-IS.

But... off the record, good shooting, Doc! Since it appears to have been daylight, when you took the picture of the sight picture you "could" have used... why didn't you?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:
Griff wrote:This thread is for posting of your pictured targets ONLY! If you want to brag on or cut someone's submission... do it in another topic... (Maybe here: Competition Shoot.
Reiterated for EM-PHAS-IS.

But... off the record, good shooting, Doc! Since it appears to have been daylight, when you took the picture of the sight picture you "could" have used... why didn't you?
Those are old pictures of the sights, from another thread.

Sorry to break the rules; I just had cabin-fever and had to go out shooting even if it was dark.

No bragging or cutting intended.

I did get to shoot with the open sights today, for a 77 with one 'x'... :)

Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Weather too good to stay inside and do stuff I was supposed to do, so after a token effort at some paperwork, I went back outside and took the little 16" Rossi 92 in 357 out.

Load was Prvi Partizan 38 special LRN (it's a 'house gun' so we avoid ear-splitting 357 Mags in it).

'78' won't win me a cigar, but I don't smoke. Just glad to get out and enjoy some levergunnin' 8)

Gun has the Marbles 'Bullseye' rear sight. Hard to adjust (it must be 'drifted' like the factory sights) but is fast and easy to use in low light - kind of 'ghost ring' in effect with the outer ring, but if you take an extra second and use the inner one, it's the same kind of sight picture as a Williams FP or other aperture sight, only with way less obstructing metal in the view.

[Hope I'm out of the dog-house now.]

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc, 1st target scores a 84, the 2nd scores a 85. Anywhere on the paper outside the black is a "7".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I finally got my February target shot. Rossi in 44mag, 240 grain plated bullet I got somewhere -- 8 grains Universal.
And since I remain true to my Scotch ancestors I also shot at the target with my new "grandkid favorite" 25/20 load which I know doesn't count as a pistol cartridge but I like to bang away at the 50 yard target with various weapons just to see how they compare: ...I am sure this sophisticated bunch of levergunners won't be bothered by a few extraneous 25 cal holes amongst the 43 cals. And I don't know why I shot the 25/20 substantially better than the 44 -- they are both 24" octagon bbls with peep sights. But that's how it was today.
Feb17Rossi44.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Earl,

Sorry for the delay... Was just plain out of a service area on Tuesday evening... and yesterday the blower fan for the heater quit up in ND all the way to Minneapolis, and it was after 0130 this am before I quit... blowing snow and slick roads wore my azz out! I'm confirming your score for the .44.. 84 - 1X. But... the rules state:
center-fire pistol caliber ONLY (.32 to .45 cal)
So... while your .25-20 mdl 92 meets the balance of the criteria... it falls just a tad short on that hole size bit! Mighty fine shootin' tho'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm declaring Baja Traveler the winner for the February Match! Congrats Sir! (Maybe I shouldn't assume...) :wink: Excellent shooting... shows that "some" of us need a mite more practice...

I'll get the March match up very soon. Keep those targets coming!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!