Putting Iron Sights on....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Putting Iron Sights on....

Post by Bridger158 »

I've got a Mossberg ATR 30-06 that doesn't have iron sights on it, and I much prefer them over a scope. Has anybody ever had them added to a rifle? I'm assuming it should be a fairly easy/inexpensive task for a gunsmith, right?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Putting Iron Sights on....

Post by Malamute »

Ive had irons added to several bolt guns. I use the Williams Shorty ramp, as they are pretty clean and simple, and often a Sourdough type front blade when I can get them (Nice Redfields often found in parts boxes at gun shows).

Most are screwed on, but Ive had mine screwed and sweated on to make them bombproof. You can use a rear barrel sight like a Williams with the folding leaf, or try one of the Ruger M-77 rear barrel sight bases with folding leaf. Theres probably other options available that may be worth looking at. Ive also used receiver sights, usually Lyman 57s. If using a scope, the receiver sight is zeroed, then the elevation stop screw set, and the pushbutton release used to remove it and stow it for emergencies. I inletted one sight slide under the butt pad of the rifle so it was always with it. If only using irons, Id go with a good receiver sight instead of a barrel sight.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Not a difficult job for a good smith. That said, this is not the time of year to do it. Most gunsmiths will be buried in work. The ones that are not,there is a reason.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, it depends somewhat on the iron sights chosen, because a really good set can cost as much as a low end scope, and that still doesn't cover the cost of drilling and tapping the rifle if needed or some front sights get sweated on and some require a dovetail to be cut in the barrel, for either the front and or the back sight also.

And sorry, but IMHO, I wouldn't put that much money in a Mossberg, you might better off to trade the Mossberg and some cash for a different rifle with iron sights already on it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bridger158 wrote:I'm assuming it should be a fairly easy/inexpensive task for a gunsmith, right?
You'd think so... Right? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Lastmohecken wrote: .

And sorry, but IMHO, I wouldn't put that much money in a Mossberg, you might better off to trade the Mossberg and some cash for a different rifle with iron sights already on it.
Good advice.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bridger158,

Nothing wrong with a Mossberg, put the sights on it if you want them.

I had a beautiful Marlin MR7 30-06 given to me by a friend, all but ruined by IL jerks who claimed to be gunsmiths. It did not have iron sights so I bought factory sights and had it D&T'd for them.
>The first idiot drilled all the screw holes crooked so the sights tilted to the right. He admitted it, then blamed it on my rifle as according to him his jig was dead on.
>Second idiot, a very well known guy in the cowboy action genre said he could fix the sights, then drilled 4 more holes in the top of the receiver claiming the factory drilled the scope holes off center.
I refused to pay for that. I had never said anything about the scope, only the iron sights, and this idiot had actually shouldered the rifle and commented on how crooked the sights were. I all but lost my self control, told him what I thought of his butchery and walked out. The person who referred me to idiot #2 actually paid for it, and I eventually got it home.
>Third guy set the barrel back a few thousands and got the sights close enough to be usable. But they still are not at TDC as they should be.

My rifle is for all intents and purposes ruined. I will probably never shoot it again, way too many bad memories. And I can't really sell it either due to those extra holes in the receiver. If anything were to go wrong, I'd be held liable.

The threads about this rifle are in the archives or ancient threads here somewhere. If you search for Marlin MR7 and my name they should come up.

Don't take anything for granted when talking to people who call themselves gunsmiths. Many I have met and some I've dealt with are egotistical jerks who think they can do no wrong.
Make sure they know you want the sights at TDC and installed properly. If the gunsmith gives you any flack, go to someone else.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really like the Williams FP sights, and they can be added to most any rifle. You may need to call Williams to get specifics for your rifle.

WAY better than 'open' irons for most applications - faster, and usually more accurate as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A Williams 5D or Foolproof will do you fine with a good front sight. Nothing wrong with a Mossberg, get some sights put on and enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I googled your rifle. They are a lot of bang for the buck! The scope mounts are Weaver style I see. That means you can either slap a receiver sight directly onto the rear Weaver mount or use its holes in the receiver to mount the aperture sight of your choice which would give you a sight that sits lower. That's the good news because you saved D&T costs. You & the gunsmith will have to choose the front sight. If you want open sights then it'll be bucks for all the D&Ting and hoping the gunsmith gets everything plumb & square. Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how about doing it yourself? you will be more careful with your own gun than the wanna-be's. you can do better than a lot of tyros out there. soldering is not very complicated. if you tried the ring-around-the-barrel type of front sight it would be easier to align. a little practice makes very useable connections. too much heat is bad, too little heat is bad, just right is good.

hand cut dovetails are simple. a band clamp will provide a right angle reference. a simple jig with a bubble level will give you, well, level. it's easy actually to get good results.

If it was my project I would fix the gun absolutely plumb in a vise of some sort, with the barrel absolutely horizontal, and sight it backwards, from the barrel thru the rear sight, with something absolutely plumb vertical in the background. like a fence or corner of a house or window frame. and use that to fix the front sight in the desired plane. perhaps bore sighting a spot on a vertical line from the breech, and conforming the sights to that. that's how I put sights on AR uppers and it's 100% reliable.

it's not intuitive, but looking at sights backwards is very revealing because if they are off, they telegraph it loud and clear. I've seen lots of gunrack firearms with wonky sights. I'd do it myself and enjoy the outcomes.

I doubt I talked you into doing it, but I bet you could. hope you post photos whichever way you go
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Grizz wrote:how about doing it yourself? you will be more careful with your own gun than the wanna-be's. you can do better than a lot of tyros out there. soldering is not very complicated. if you tried the ring-around-the-barrel type of front sight it would be easier to align. a little practice makes very useable connections. too much heat is bad, too little heat is bad, just right is good.

hand cut dovetails are simple. a band clamp will provide a right angle reference. a simple jig with a bubble level will give you, well, level. it's easy actually to get good results.

If it was my project I would fix the gun absolutely plumb in a vise of some sort, with the barrel absolutely horizontal, and sight it backwards, from the barrel thru the rear sight, with something absolutely plumb vertical in the background. like a fence or corner of a house or window frame. and use that to fix the front sight in the desired plane. perhaps bore sighting a spot on a vertical line from the breech, and conforming the sights to that. that's how I put sights on AR uppers and it's 100% reliable.

it's not intuitive, but looking at sights backwards is very revealing because if they are off, they telegraph it loud and clear. I've seen lots of gunrack firearms with wonky sights. I'd do it myself and enjoy the outcomes.

I doubt I talked you into doing it, but I bet you could. hope you post photos whichever way you go
That is so very true.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even IF you messed it up, the cost of un-messing-I-70 wouldn't add much to what you already have had to pay a gunsmith if you didn't try it yourself.

As far as the rear sight I'm getting a Williams already exists with the proper screw spacing to use the existing holes there for the Weaver base. If not, the aluminum sight base would be easy to add a second hole to.

Call Williams at 800-530-9028 or email at support@williamsgunsight.com and see what they have to offer. They have lots of open sights as well, and front ones too.

Any company that can be this politically-incorrect for a good cause just earns my respect.... :o :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I think most "smiths" around here charge $25/hole D&T, so to put sights on (4 holes)might run around $150-$200 depending on how much the sights cost.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Bridger158 wrote:I've got a Mossberg ATR 30-06 that doesn't have iron sights on it, and I much prefer them over a scope. Has anybody ever had them added to a rifle? I'm assuming it should be a fairly easy/inexpensive task for a gunsmith, right?
The last time I thought that, it cost me $600 in damage to my rifle. :evil: I ended up fixing it myself and should have done the D&T myself to begin with.

Skinner sights or Williams should have some options for your existing holes.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I would call Williams and talk to them. they do Gunsmithing of all types. I can't rember ever seeing a report of bad work about them, might be worth sending them your rifle.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thunder50 wrote:I think most "smiths" around here charge $25/hole D&T, so to put sights on (4 holes)might run around $150-$200 depending on how much the sights cost.
Same around here. Even though I'm a do-it-yourselfer, I never got the knack of drilling and tapping shallow bottom-tapped holes, even with the special taps they sell - so I hire that part out. USUALLY it works out ok, but I did once have a gunsmith drill INTO the chamber of a breakopen 12 gauge. I just put a hardened screw in the hole and red LockTited it, then carefully filed it flush with the chamber, since 12 gauge is pretty low pressure. Had he done that to my Ruger No 1 in 7mm Rem Mag, I'd have demanded a new barrel...!

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would just be sure and vet whoever works on your gun, if you go that direction. I have had guns messed up by poorly skilled people and I don't take too many chances anymore, and if the gun is expensive then I cut no corners and always use a well known top of the line gunsmith, or in some cases do it myself.
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here is a bunch of photos and my comments on various aperture sights. The 1898 Mauser sight would be similar to your setup most likely.

Link => viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31831#p390174

Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bridger158 »

Thank you for all the advice guys.....I knew yall would have an answer. Grizz, you make it sound so easy, but I just don't have the nerve to try lol.

I think I am going to give the folks at Williams a call as was suggested. I'm hoping that at most I only have to either have a dovetail cut for the front or two holes dt'ed since I do have them for the back already. And I would rather have a peep anyway.

I guess I could trade the rifle, but I don't have a lot in it and I feel like it's got potential to be an excellent truck gun. But I'm just not a fan of scopes, nor do I trust a scope after it's rolled around behind the truck seat for a while.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Shocking thought, but get a truck seat mount for the rifle?

Or a roof rack mount (above your head)?

I've seen scopes go weird too, but irons can get dinged up just as bad.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

AJMD429 wrote:I really like the Williams FP sights, and they can be added to most any rifle. You may need to call Williams to get specifics for your rifle.

WAY better than 'open' irons for most applications - faster, and usually more accurate as well.
Williams does offer gunsmith services. call them and see if they will do your sights. if they do...you know it will be the right sights, correctly installed. tel:800-530-9028
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt wrote:I would call Williams and talk to them. they do Gunsmithing of all types. I can't rember ever seeing a report of bad work about them, might be worth sending them your rifle.
I should have done that with my Marlin. The sights Marlin used on it were made by Williams.

Live and learn :roll:

Joe
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Joe, My Heart goes out for You as I rember well all the anguish You had over Your rifle. I had the same experience last year with a half A***D parts changer . had to buy a new car...a small price to pay rather than Go to jail. He had no Idea the box of crazy He almost opened .
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Bridger158 wrote:Thank you for all the advice guys.....I knew yall would have an answer. Grizz, you make it sound so easy, but I just don't have the nerve to try lol.

I think I am going to give the folks at Williams a call as was suggested. I'm hoping that at most I only have to either have a dovetail cut for the front or two holes dt'ed since I do have them for the back already. And I would rather have a peep anyway.

I guess I could trade the rifle, but I don't have a lot in it and I feel like it's got potential to be an excellent truck gun. But I'm just not a fan of scopes, nor do I trust a scope after it's rolled around behind the truck seat for a while.
I bought a new model 70 feather weight 06 a few months ago and of course now days they don't come with sights. I don't like scopes so I looked on Midwest gun works site and found a pre 64 front sight ramp for the featherweight and it fit like a glove, had a smith D&it and he put it on straight without drilling through the barrel . Then I put a skinner peep on the rear, now it's perfect for me.
g rice
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.45colt wrote:
I would call Williams and talk to them. they do Gunsmithing of all types.

I can't rember ever seeing a report of bad work about them, might be worth sending them your rifle.

+1

Your best bet, by far.

Gun sights are their main business, so you can use their services with confidence - they are quality folks to do business with.

All you'd have to do is mail them the barreled receiver (no stock, bolt, etc) - which you can legally do (and receive it in return) w/o having to use an FFL on your end (Williams Gun Sight Co holds an FFL).

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If you have a local machine shop you could talk to them, when we D&T barrels it was done on a milling machine. Normally more time spent on set up then drilling.
My first choice would be Williams doing it, but they might have it for a few weeks, your local machinist could be a couple days...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

When I put iron sights on a rifle I don't have a jig, but I do first temporarily glue them on with a "Goop" or shoe goo or the like. Then after fiddling with them to make sure they are straight and level I then reach down in the holes and scribe the barrel where the screws will go and the take off the sights and I'll have 3 or 4 little scribed circles that I center punch and drill in a press using a #31 drill and then tap 6-48. The hardest part of this is making sure you don't drill into the barrel. So measure twice and you'll need a plug tap and a bottoming tap. I use an extra tap that I have ground flat in order to thread close to the bottom of the hole. Don't get in a hurry.

Bob
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's good to have a flat ground 31 drill as well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!