old school concealed carry...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

old school concealed carry...

Post by 1894c »

I went back to my ancient roots. I have been carrying a S&W 642 Airweight (no internal lock) recently. I also been carrying three reloads (Bianchi Speed Strips) and a stainless Camillus US utility knife (blade, can opener, screw driver/bottle opener, and punch). My ammo is Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P HP (LE Agency approved)

I have several other options, a Glock 26/19 as an example (no longer own any 9mm single-stacks). I just ordered a second 642, I like having a back-up. I don't find myself under-gunned--there are things you can do with a j-frame that you cannot do with a Glock. Like shoving the j-frame hard into the body mass of a malcontent or shooting the 642 inside of a jacket or hoodie pocket (excuse my lousy cell-phone pic)...YMMV... :)

PS -- I'm not a member of the Camillus PD, but I grew up in Camillus, NY -- this Camillus PD Patch was used from 1955 to 1990
IMG_0258.JPG
camillus police dept.a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Re: old school concealed carry...

Post by EdinCT »

I carry the same S&W everyday. I am having a little trouble with seeing the front sight But have painted it with sight bright orange and its working pretty good. I tried a lazer grip but in daylight it was worthless. I can keep it in a 12 inch bull at 25 yards standing again but 10 years ago a bowling pin at that distance was in trouble.
I have a buddy who tells about a officer coming down to investigate there shooting in the 1960s and upon seeing that all was safe and good noticed a 2" 38 on the bench and asked if he could try it. He kept it on a 6" bull at 50 yds and said that's a good one! Turned out he was the Mass. revolver champ and a really nice guy.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Still miss seeing these signs. Been replaced by a canal boat tribute. :(

Phil
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Some things never go out of style.
My wife carries the no lock 442 every day, even at work.......and THAT was a modern upgrade from the
flat-latch Chiefs Special she carried till about 5 years ago. :D

The Smith J-Frames are never a bad choice IMO.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

They're still popular CCW guns - my youngest Daughter (40 y.o.) still practices every week with & carries the 3" S&W Model 37 Airweight I gave her (she picked it out of a bunch of guns she tried) almost 15 years ago.

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Daily carry. Find some Ultramag 66 gr tubular rounds for truly lightweight carry.
Small J-frames are the standard by which all discreet-carry guns are judged (I'd like to keep all my empties please) 8)
The DeSantis hooked grips or older Barami Hip-Grips make an on-off carry decision instant, and work with most boots too.
:wink:
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

From time to time a 2" CA Southpaw is my primary. But it is pretty much always my second gun when carrying somewhat larger revolver.

I'd really like to see someone make a leftie revolver in .45 acp. CA is really the only hope in that vein.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

my little 642 is a daily carry gun, most of the time back pocket suits me just fine
summer time its a death blow to rattle snakes & other sick or unwanted pests, so far ive yet to come
up with any thing that can take its place & I have tried a few

Brad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This one was made about Oct 1952, new grips. Can't carry here in Los Angeles County.

Well, 1894 and 1894c, you fellows have cleared something up for me. Could not recall which of you I had talked with about Camillus. I am a collector and one of you, maybe both sent me knives back after a 50 g collision I had in 2012. That jars the memory plates. One knife is a bird knife which I have on my dresser, the other is a camping knife like the one pictured in the OP picture. Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I just feel more at ease with a sixgun or a J frame with me than an auto, even a 1911. I think if you feel comfortable with the gun you carry that means a lot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old Savage wrote:This one was made about Oct 1952, new grips. Can't carry here in Los Angeles County.

Well, 1894 and 1894c, you fellows have cleared something up for me. Could not recall which of you I had talked with about Camillus. I am a collector and one of you, maybe both sent me knives back after a 50 g collision I had in 2012. That jars the memory plates. One knife is a bird knife which I have on my dresser, the other is a camping knife like the one pictured in the OP picture. Thanks again.
Old Savage -- it was I who sent you the Camillus Utility when you were recovering from your accident...it was a pleasure to help with the healing process--blessings... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks again 1894c, I really appreciated that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Camillus brings back fond memories of the half-dozen or so Boy Scout knives I owned -- and lost! Looks like the brand has been revived.

:lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is one of recent vintage, VG 10 blade.

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

OldWin wrote: The Smith J-Frames are never a bad choice IMO.
Picked up a 637 & 431 because my wife might like a small revolver. 8) Really enjoy shooting them myself!

Thomas
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Nothing wrong with a snubby even now, I still carry a three inch 44spl. at times and feel wheely comfortable doing so.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have packed J frames for 47 years. First was a model 60, the longest but it was stolen along with my truck. Then I bought a used/new looking model 40 to replace it and I occasionally belt carry a 3" model 36. In the picture also is a model 34 (22 LR) I don't carry that one for defense.

Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Old Savage wrote:This one was made about Oct 1952, new grips. Can't carry here in Los Angeles County.

Yep , the the rusty, neglected , abused , garage find, bird knife came from me. I think you cleaned it up and (maybe ?) passed it on. Hope at least it gave you something to do while going through the long recovery process .
Phil
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

1894, thank you again. And for settling my confusion :-) over who gave me what. You guys threw me a bit of a curve both being from Camillus and both giving me knives and both with the 1894 thing. I did clean it up and it sits on my dresser or the kitchen table. It did inspire me to get a new primo example from ebay which doesn't do anything but sit in a box in this drawer :-)