A question regarding firearms for training.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

A question regarding firearms for training.

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'd like to query the esteemed members of this board in regards to handgun training and firearms.

I know the standard reply in regards to the best firearm for a beginner is a good target grade 22lr such as Ruger or the new Smith and Wesson Victory model. I understand the logic of this choice as it is very accurate and you can develop the fundamental skills needed for attaining a level of proficiency.

As a rule I use a Ruger Mk3 22-45 with the polymer frame when conducting live fire. I like the feel of the gun as it approximates a 1911 to an extent. But not everyone is a 1911 fan.

I am thinking of incorporating a 22lr DA revolver of some sorts. I am thinking of the Ruger SP 101 for this purpose.
I know there is a big autoloading trend but some people like a revolver.

So for those that do train people, what are your thoughts? Thanks.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A question regarding firearms for training.

Post by jeepnik »

Frankly I think S&W revolvers are better than Ruger's. I'd suggest you look at what they have to offer. There is simply a greater variety of configurations available from S&W.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DA Ruger .22's (SP-101) is very heavy for what it is, and many beginners (especially youngsters) will usually do better with something lighter/handier.

If a S&W DA .22 would put the project over budget, then I would look hard at a new Charter Arms Pathfinder .22LR - which is also available with an 8-shot cylinder.

Being made entirely of stainless steel, IMO the only thing the CA needs is the application of sight paint, to make the stainless sights stand out from the stainless frame/barrel when sighting - a very inexpensive fix.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The BIGGEST issue with DA revolvers for many is the trigger-pull. The Ruger LCR series seem to be light enough, and gunsmith-tuned revolvers of any sort can be good, but many 22 LR revolvers have horribly heavy DA trigger pulls many petite shooters literally cannot handle. I find my old gunsmith-slicked Speed Six Ruger with cat-sneeze 38 special loads is easier for new shooters than any 22 LR revolver I have, except perhaps the 6" Charter Arms 'Pathfinder' which is very smooth and fairly light.

A Mark-II or -III Ruger is always a favorite with my students (moreso than any revolvers), partly due to inherent pointability, and mostly due to both front and back sights being aperture style (made the front myself). That is WAY more intuitive for new shooters than 'Patridge' sights are.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

A k-frame is a much easier gun to shoot than a 101. Way better trigger and sights.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm, a Ruger forum and most folks are suggesting S&W's. Maybe Ruger should pay attention. There revolvers have always been well built and strong. But there triggers have always been sub par. I realize that today many manufacturers, including S&W are driven by liability when they build a revolver, but still even the current (and in my opinion terrible) triggers are much better than Ruger's.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I did handgun training classes for my gun club, I covered both semiauto and revolvers. I started with .22LR handguns in both types and let the students shoot both a lot so they would feel comfortable with both. They shot revolvers both single action and double action, just so they understood the difference.
My personal opinions are that most novice or new shooters are better served by a DA revolver for self defense. They are reliable and in the case of a misfire the shooter simply pulls the trigger again and a 2nd round is fired. No issues with safeties, clearing a jam, or cycling the action by hand if a misfire occurs.
What a shooter chooses later on is their personal choice, but they should be exposed to both, and practice with both. Then when they're familiar with both types of guns they can make an educated decision, and not a choice forced on them by an instructor or friend.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/