Public shooting ranges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Public shooting ranges

Post by walks with gun »

I have a perfectly good shooting range at home, but after watching a bunch of shooting video's i got to wondering, if I were to go to a public range, would I be banned for wearing cowboy boots, Wranglers instead of Tactical pants or BDU's and I don't even own a Keffiyeh or eastern neck scarf. I guess I'm getting too old to be TACTICOOL.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Public shooting ranges

Post by AJMD429 »

Hardly ever go to a public range, although some of the indoor ones here are nicely run.

I think ones where a known group of folks get together for an 'event' would be nice, but otherwise I'm just not a 'crowd' person...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

It's no different than going to the gunshow, same characters (for lack of a better term). Young Hispanic guys with shaved heads and AK47's or AR's blasting the dirt in front of them as fast as they can pull the trigger on a 30 round mag. Joe Pistol doing the same with his 18 shot whizbang. Bubba the Dunce trying to teach the Young Lady to shoot by starting her off with a .338 Win Mag. Then there are the Former SEALS, you know them, strutting about in their half worn out cammies with the patches sewn all over the jackets, beer bellies pooched out over their "Gott Mit Uns" belt buckles, trousers tucked into the $15.00 Chinese "Vietnam Jungle Boots", yesterday morning's egg yolk still stuck their scruffy grey beard, always got a story about not being able to tell you the story because it's still classified. None of those listed above have ever had even thirty seconds of instruction in firearms safety or how to behave at a shooting range. This is why I never go to our public range here in Yuma unless our club has control of it for a shooting event, otherwise it's the wild west with no range officer or other supervision. :roll:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

When I go to a public range, I'm far too busy to give a flip how the guy at the next bench is dressed or whether he's wearing the latest glow-in-the-dark GPS nose-ring.

All I want from the person next to me is that they behave responsibly, adhere to the range rules and be safe.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Walks with gun - sounds like you would be right at home at most shooting Ranges in Texas.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Well thank you crs, I am a Texan by birth, we moved up to the frozen north when I was little. Born over in Ft. Hood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My gunclub, Atglen is private with a gate and a lock...just the way I like it...I've been to public ranges where about 90% of the people are "non-gun" people. They mishandle guns, poor range etiquette and usually leave the place dirtier than when they found it.

My buddy's indoor range is very classy but I don't shoot there, unless I need to test a gun I'm buying. Guys showing off to their girlfriends how they can blast a 44 magnum at 7 yds away. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

CRS is right. Walks with gun, you would fit right in at alpine gun range. They stop the idiots who are shooting too fast, and the young tacticool jerks tend to get very quiet when they see the little tiny groups on the targets of the cowboy boots, jeans, and t-shirt or button up shirt crowd. Alpine is Texan and family friendly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
Thanks for letting me know that the Alpine range is still thriving.
Years ago, my friends and family would meet there before dove season and shoot for hours.
Do they still use a tractor to haul the load of shooters to the start of the sporting clays shoot?

Now I live a t least two hours away and have not been there for years.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I suppose about the closest I've been to shooting on a public range was today when I went to a little club/range in Cagayan de Oro Philippines . Took my wife for her first experience . Anyway the little club was actually very nice and there were about 30 tacticool IPSC type guys there although we did not interact with them .

Now in the USA I wouldn't contemplate a public range unless I was in a tight spot and couldn't get to my club or wasn't at my home .
Heck even at my gunclub I DO NOT like shooting when there's a bunch of others . To be totally frank most people wanna talk and b...u...l...l...s...h...I...t to much . Usually when I go to the range I have X amount of things I wanna get accomplished and a lot myself x amount of time . Others tend to muck up the game plan .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh I failed to mention the little range I went to today in the Philippines was done in a style I'd never used before . They actually had bays I suppose you would say with walls in between so each bay was free to do their own thing without bothering folks on either side of them .

I kinda liked that !
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

It's really a shame, it seems at one time we were considered a nation of Riflemen, now it seems way too many are gun slobs who really think their sloppy ways are acceptable and these same people bring their thoughtless drunken clown attitudes out into the game fields while hunting. I've seen supposedly grown men try to teach young children and ladies how to shoot by handing them guns that are much to big, and too powerful. These same idiots will push against the newbies shoulder or load mags full of rounds to show that only the manliest can really handle a gun, when in fact they are absolutely lousy shots themselves. Even a couple of our local gun club members commented on not seeing me at the range anymore, new officers voted in (light drinking) at the range now, I've seen some of these guy's so plowed they could hardly talk, but the club say's that's fine, they try to keep an eye on each other so no one gets hurt. I'm investing more time and money on my own shooting range, mostly handgun with a 60 yard carbine range and a little trap shooting. Being around people just seems impossible anymore, Working on becoming a hermit.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My daughter moved to Fort Worth about a year ago and went with some friends to a local range, ends up buying a gun, getting her concealed carry permit and starts shooting with "instructions" from a male friend, and he can't shoot for beans. Funny thing is, she was never interested when home and I could teach her.
Long story short, I visited in January and gave her a concentrated coaching session and some phone coaching, she's showing up the testosterone maniacs, bad, and they are NOT happy.
But while I was there, everything you all said is true. Apparently, the goal of a shooting session is to shoot all your ammo as fast as you can, and show off the target ,which looks like a shotgun was patterned on it, to all the bystanders. Tactical wear is also required. Thank God it's a indoor pistol range and the AR crowd isn't there. We have a loosely run, (very loosely) outdoor range "here" that I refuse to go near ,as it looks like an ISSIS training camp for the wannabe's. :?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What amazes me is that the tacticool group even seems to show up during the middle of the week. I suspect most live at home with mommy and daddy and don't have steady employment. Gee, maybe they should enlist. That would get them out of the basement and get them a job all at the same time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

It would be fun to show up at some of these ranges with a few black powder revolvers, lay down a smoke screen.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

crs wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 am Piller,
Thanks for letting me know that the Alpine range is still thriving.
Years ago, my friends and family would meet there before dove season and shoot for hours.
Do they still use a tractor to haul the load of shooters to the start of the sporting clays shoot?

Now I live a t least two hours away and have not been there for years.
Yes, they still use the tractor. There are a few of the tacticool dummies there, but it is mostly people like you meet on here. My Henry .22 always gets approving looks, and the range officers always ask to shoot the Ruger .44 Mag semi auto carbine. Alpine is working on the 100 yard range right now. A little maintenance so that it stays usable, at least, it looks that way. There is a gent with a Freedom Arms .22lr whom I see occasionally. He knows which cylinders are the most accurate, and he makes some very tight groups.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

walks with gun wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pmIt would be fun to show up at some of these ranges with a few black powder revolvers, lay down a smoke screen.
When I touch off a couple of rounds out of the Sharps... it never fails to draw a crowd! Most folks are somewhat respectful... and wait to ask questions when I'm done, taking a break... others, namely the tacti-cool bunch, not so much. I liked the young kid, that'd parked his stuff next to me and asked, "...hey gramps, use that in the Civil War?" I didn't say anything as we walked down range for him to put up his target at the 100 yard line, and me to collect mine from 200... When I got back and laid it down on my bench... as he just ogled the one hole in the "x" ring... I said, "no, but if I'd had, we wouldn't be up to our butt in D--- Yankees!"

I didn't bother to tell him that was just a fluke, as I'd not done nearly as well at 100 yards!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I lived in LA, one if the few indoor ranges was OK. They actually had a Range Officer in the shooting area with a badge saying he was in charge. They did not allow rapid fire and closely watched the shooters. Good place to shoot and several LEOs frequented it. The other ranges' users tended a bit more towards the "gang banger" mentality (this was before the "Tacti-cool" movement took hold.) and the range was lax in enforcing rules, but it was a good place to pick up brass. A couple of these were one time visits.

For me shooting is a "solo sport" and sometimes (often) I'll leave my local "range" when someone else shows up, regardless of their "cool" attire, their choice of guns, or their raised, 4WDs with loud exhaust. About half of the time when a shooter comes to the "range" when I'm there, they will talk to me before they unload their stuff, asking if I mind them shooting. These fellers are the ones I don't mind being around as they are considerate and safe...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You fellers are giving me a whole new perspective of public shooting ranges. Until about 20 years ago I lived in Carson City, Nevada and at that time the public range was WONDERFUL. There was no "Range Officer" in attendance; there was a large covered area for rifles to 300 yards, smaller covered area for pistols to 50 yards, and some individual areas separated by large berms for tin can blasters. I went there at least once a week and the jerks were noticeable by their rarity and nearly everyone was muzzle conscious and responsible and polite. Since that time I have been to two ranges, one here in Oregon and one in Arizona. Both had very controlling range officers and that totally turned me off the whole "public range" experience. Too much of a PIA was my feeling.

Now I see why controlling range officers may be a requirement. But I will continue to avoid such places and go where I can be by myself or just with the people I brung to the party.

I do miss that old Carson City range and the nice range-pickup brass I would find fairly regularly. And the knowledgeable fellows I'd run into who were fun to visit with and who frequently had neat firearms to ogle.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

walks with gun wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pm It would be fun to show up at some of these ranges with a few black powder revolvers, lay down a smoke screen.
When I still had my M4gery I went to a range in W IN that is frequented by IL shooters (but not Bangers). A bunch of ARs etc, so when I put my AR away and got out my Stainless Steel & Black Plastic, Externally Ignited, Caseless Ammunition, .50 Sniper Rifle and was blowing up the 100yd berm clays that they were missing, it kinda caught their attention...

And then I started loading the 500gr REALs... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Good shooting ranges and places to hunt are going to continue to decrease if we don't take responsibility and start trying to control our breeding habits, I love my two kids and my grandchildren too, but how many kids do people really need to have, four, six, twelve. Were not going to have any open spaces if folk don't have their kids spayed or neutered. Just my morning rant.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

It's a crying shame, but I haven't been to a public range in 4 years. There's a very nice one only 14 miles from my house, but it had reached the point that every trip there became a nightmare, with events ranging from frustrating to maddening to out-and-out terrifying. I am very grateful for unlimited access to private land sufficient to shoot to 200 yards, even though I have to bring my own bench. It's a sad thing that "public" so often means "belonging to no one", and so the resource gets destroyed.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I shoot at a private/members only gun club and there is just as much trash left on the ground, shot up target frames, ill mannered/rude people, Viet Nam vet want-to-be's, unsafe firearm handling, bad attitudes, etc., as at the public ranges where I formerly shot....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I wonder what would happen if someone just hung back and video taped the whole thing so it could be shared with everyone. Would some people shape up after they say how danged inconsiderate and unsafe they were, or would they just have a tantrum.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have shot on public ranges near Austin, TX and never ran into anyone doing anything unsafe. The range is Controlled by Range Officers and they run a pretty tight ship. It is limited - especially to those of us who either had our own ranges or lived where we could shoot anytime in the country. But I can see the value in it, especially when you have people of all skill levels attending. They did not allow drawing and firing. Rapid fire was out. Only paper targets could be used. People can bitch about it but it is their range .. they have to carry the insurance and all that legal stuff ... they get to set the rules.

The people there .. and I have shot there more than a few times .. in fact I have a Membership there .. the shooters I have met and interacted with were all pleasant ... maintained a safe attitude and actions. I have never seen anything unsafe done there. Ain't saying it never happens .. I just have never seen it.

I recently became a Member of a private range that is much closer to home ... about 10 minutes away. All the people I've met there are courteous, safety-minded and very nice folks. This range has a locked gate and no one but Members have access. And I picked up about 150 fired 45 ACP the other day. That was a nice way to end the shooting day.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

walks with gun wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:58 pm I wonder what would happen if someone just hung back and video taped the whole thing so it could be shared with everyone. Would some people shape up after they say how danged inconsiderate and unsafe they were, or would they just have a tantrum.
I bet it wouldn't make a bit of difference !

If they acted that way to begin with I suspect it's safe to say something was lacking in their upbringing .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JimT wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm I have shot on public ranges near Austin, TX and never ran into anyone doing anything unsafe. The range is Controlled by Range Officers and they run a pretty tight ship. It is limited - especially to those of us who either had our own ranges or lived where we could shoot anytime in the country. But I can see the value in it, especially when you have people of all skill levels attending. They did not allow drawing and firing. Rapid fire was out. Only paper targets could be used. People can bitch about it but it is their range .. they have to carry the insurance and all that legal stuff ... they get to set the rules.

The people there .. and I have shot there more than a few times .. in fact I have a Membership there .. the shooters I have met and interacted with were all pleasant ... maintained a safe attitude and actions. I have never seen anything unsafe done there. Ain't saying it never happens .. I just have never seen it.

I recently became a Member of a private range that is much closer to home ... about 10 minutes away. All the people I've met there are courteous, safety-minded and very nice folks. This range has a locked gate and no one but Members have access. And I picked up about 150 fired 45 ACP the other day. That was a nice way to end the shooting day.
My gunclub is about 5 miles from my home so I can easily be there in ten minutes . We used to be able to shoot 24 hours a day as we have some lighted ranges . That has since changed to 8 AM to 10 PM so as to be nice to the neighbors that have slowly built up around us .

I try to be at the rifle range by 7:30AM on weekdays have my junk ready to go and start firing usually a few minutes before 8 . As I stated earlier when I go I have things I wanna get accomplished and the more people around the less gets done .
Now granted I'm in a gunshop 4 days a week and constantly seeing new to me guns , so I understand when folks come to the range and wanna see what one is doing blah blah blah . But I don't bother them and like it when they don't bother me . If I wanna socialize at the gunclub we can do it while shooting skeet !