OT A great weekend for hunting lizards

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT A great weekend for hunting lizards

Post by pharmseller »

Oregon put two nice days together on a weekend for the first time this year. My seven year old boy and I made good use of the sun to catch a boatload of lizards!
We caught over 25 bluebelly fence lizards that we played with for a while then released unharmed. I'm sure they had wonderful stories to tell their friends. Some of these lizards went five inches, which is pretty big for a fence lizard.
The best part was our unheard-of success with the alligator lizards! These fellas grow pretty large. We caught 3 nice ones Saturday, with the topper coming today.

This fella taped out at a foot long! It was close to the largest I've seen around my place.

We'll keep him for a bit and then turn him loose where we caught him.
Talk about fun - watch a little boy catch lizards some time!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Post by Kismet »

Sounds like fun - nice pics.

My Dad and I used to catch lizards with grass nooses. Just take a long piece of grass, tie a snug loop, and try to slip it over his head. I don't remember our success rate, but perhaps it was just a way to keep me occupied on trips!

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

How are you all catching them? I usualy have good success in the morning when they are cold and still trying to warm up.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

catching lizards

Post by Batman1939 »

Try using a small noose (about 1-2 inches diameter) of thread or dental floss at the end of a fishing pole to catch lizards; it's great fun!

Keep the line between the rod-tip and noose short or you'll have problems with the wind blowing your loop or branches of shrubs tangling your line.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl. well done on a great day with your child.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

thats my bird dogs favorite sport.....hes constantly chasing lizards....
but today he almost caught a squirrel and he did catch a black racer..
good thing it wasnt' a water mocasin
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Caught these two lovebirds "en flagrante" about three weeks ago, it was just getting warm enough for them to come out.

May 1 is usually the big snake weekend, they all come out at once around here. Good day to stay on the trails.

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That is one of the things I miss. There are no lizards in IL. In AZ I used to have the blue bellied lizards, the geckos, and several others. Not to mentions the horned toads out in the desert.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I remember catching those as a kid.
Recently I've seen Alligator Lizards here at the house.
Just saw about a 8 inch juvenile on my step last night.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It would take a mess of little buggers to make a pair of boots, wouldn't it? :wink:
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

JReed wrote:How are you all catching them? I usualy have good success in the morning when they are cold and still trying to warm up.
It's plain old mano a lizard at my place. That's part of the fun. They don't come out until the sun is nice and warm, so I don't get to cheat due to cold blood. We sneak up on them and try to be quicker. Sometimes we can move the rocks to flush them out, but lizards have a short memory.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Reptiles live in Oregon? Figured it was too cold most of the year! Learn something new every day... :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

We catch Anoles and Geckos in my area.The Anoles are fun because they can change color.Sound like you had a great father n' son weekend. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Used to catch blue tailed skinks on my Granpa's farm in S/E Illinois when I was a boy. When caught they would whip their tail around in a frenzy until it fell off, then the tail would keep wiggling around on the ground, I guess this was suppose to be a distraction so that what ever caught the skink would let go and go after the wiggling tail. Their tails would grow back later.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Found a freshly lost tail on my porch this morning. The cat has been busy. Down here, there pretty much active year round. Same for the snakes. Gotta watch where you step when in the hills. We get dogs bit by rattlesnakes year round. But it seems the vacine they have these days helps.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad