logging day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

logging day

Post by Pitchy »

We cut some trees today, getting a skid way full for a day of sawing soon. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KUcZ7NywssY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: logging day

Post by ollogger »

Nice Norway pine, just the right size for operation, getting a giant white pine to the mill & on the mill is a big job

ollogger
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I love Norway logs, straight and not many limbs, the big logs on the skid way are from a tree that blew over by the neighbors yard we`ll have to go over it with the detector.
We`ve had some three foot diameter white pine on the mill over the years, we`re to old for that anymore with the equipment we use.
As a logger yourself your familiar with all this and glad you have interest in what we do. :)
Last edited by Pitchy on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pitchy, you ever driven up H46, from Deer River to Northome? It's called Avenues of the Pines? Amazing. How they grown I the last 45 years, straight and tall too! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:48 pm Pitchy, you ever driven up H46, from Deer River to Northome? It's called Avenues of the Pines? Amazing. How they grown I the last 45 years, straight and tall too! Todd/3leg
Only been To deer river, there used to be a black powder shoot up there. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Well, don't know for sure if it qualifies as "logging" but I began filling the woodshed for next winter. Fortunately, I'm able to cut enough downed aspen on my place so the haul is short. I know, I know--aspen doesn't make good firewood---but it's close, burns clean, splits easily and doesn't cost anything other than my labor and some fuel and oil. I'm finding that at 78 yrs my back doesn't really enjoy firewood cutting time. I've got to get the shed filled completely within the next month so I can leave for Montana for 6 months. Weather may not allow for woodcutting on my return in late November here in sunny AZ---at 7,400 feet elevation. It always feels like "money in the bank" when the woodshed is full. It's the sole means we have of heating our home. Though our bunkhouse does have central heating.

Beautiful logs there Pitchy. Those are much less tapered and more straight than the ones I could obtain locally when building the house, which are Ponderosa Pine.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Batman1939 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm Well, don't know for sure if it qualifies as "logging" but I began filling the woodshed for next winter. Fortunately, I'm able to cut enough downed aspen on my place so the haul is short. I know, I know--aspen doesn't make good firewood---but it's close, burns clean, splits easily and doesn't cost anything other than my labor and some fuel and oil. I'm finding that at 78 yrs my back doesn't really enjoy firewood cutting time. I've got to get the shed filled completely within the next month so I can leave for Montana for 6 months. Weather may not allow for woodcutting on my return in late November here in sunny AZ---at 7,400 feet elevation. It always feels like "money in the bank" when the woodshed is full. It's the sole means we have of heating our home. Though our bunkhouse does have central heating.

Beautiful logs there Pitchy. Those are much less tapered and more straight than the ones I could obtain locally when building the house, which are Ponderosa Pine.
Is Aspen the same as popular, I burn a lot of popular and once dry makes darn good lumber as long as ya keep it off the ground.
We burn about ten cord of word every year and at 62 I`m getting dern tired of it, I think we need to go where you are.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good work Pitchy.
Man, I got a lot of softwood that needs cutting but I'm gonna leave it up. Can't get rid of it around here the last couple years. Just pulp, mind you, so by the time you pay trucking you've worked for nothing.
Poplar was going quite high here a few years ago. For whatever reason, the mills wanted it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Pitchy, It's my understanding that poplar and aspen, also the cottonwoods, are closely related; they belong to the group (genus) Populus. I believe that poplar makes a decent wood for cabinetry--especially as a secondary wood and I sometimes see it for sale as such in local lumberyards. My neighbor, who runs a personal sawmill, sometimes cuts aspen into 1" lumber for this use as well. Yes, you are correct--they don't handle moisture well and tend to rot fairly quickly.

Most people in this area do not burn much aspen as it's not generally available. It just so happens that I had a big stand of mature trees that have died because of drought and other problems; we've allowed standing trees to remain for wildlife use, but when they fall we cut them up for fuel. I've fenced in a couple of acres using 8' when wire and where elk are not able to get to the trees we are getting a lot of regeneration--new aspens in our area arise from pre-existing roots, rather than seeds. A USFS forester I knew many years ago told me that only rarely do they sprout from seeds. What this means is that all the trees in a given area are likely to be part of the same "super-organism" and, since they share common genes, they tend to exhibit similar timing in changing color in the fall. This would explain why different stands are either yellow, orange, reddish, etc. as leaves change colors in the fall. All the stands would likely go through the same sequence of color change, but the timing would be slightly different.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper, thanks.
We have a lot of popular on our place, all my out buildings are made from it and like I said if ya keep it dry it lasts a long time gets hard as a rock.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yellow poplar is fantastic wood for furniture making. Used mostly where it's not seen, it's kinda off color and does not stain well. It does however paint great.
Friends of mine have a couple hundred acres of tree farm. They cut oak in the past, had a sawyer come in to mill it and then sell the boards to the family business for making pallets.
Now they cut oak and poplar for of lumber and the trees that don't quite make the grade are sold to a casket company.
It got to the point they had to buy a used skidder, they old ford tractor just wasn't big enough for what they cut now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Another use here is for paper, couple big paper mills in the area.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I am just selling some oak and walnut off my place. Big mature trees that will die soon anyway so need to get something out of them. The loggers have some down and skidded to where the buyer can scale them but we are in for several days of flooding and they put the logs down in the bottom next to the river which will certainly flood. There are 6 or 8 of those oak logs that will bring $1000 each so I hate to lose them. Up to the Lord now.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am I am just selling some oak and walnut off my place. Big mature trees that will die soon anyway so need to get something out of them. The loggers have some down and skidded to where the buyer can scale them but we are in for several days of flooding and they put the logs down in the bottom next to the river which will certainly flood. There are 6 or 8 of those oak logs that will bring $1000 each so I hate to lose them. Up to the Lord now.
That ain`t good, hope it works out buddy.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm Yepper, thanks.
We have a lot of popular on our place, all my out buildings are made from it and like I said if ya keep it dry it lasts a long time gets hard as a rock.
Our land is covered with Popular tho they don't get very big. I make a lot of walking sticks out of them. They get really light after drying out for a week or two.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 am
Pitchy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm Yepper, thanks.
Our land is covered with Popular tho they don't get very big. I make a lot of walking sticks out of them. They get really light after drying out for a week or two.
That`s what grows up after they log off the country around here, it goes like hair on a dogs back.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My wood store is nearly empty, so I will be scouting for suitable firewood for next winter. The storms always bring down a few trees here, oak, ash, sycamore and beech.
Ash is by far my favourite, easy to split and can be burnt green if need be.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gamekeeper do you have the Emerald Ash Bore over there? It is a beetle that bores into the ash tree, lays eggs and slowly kills the tree. We are now getting them here in the North East, my forester buddy tells his clients to cut every ash tree down before they die.
You are right, they are great firewood trees!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm Gamekeeper do you have the Emerald Ash Bore over there? It is a beetle that bores into the ash tree, lays eggs and slowly kills the tree. We are now getting them here in the North East, my forester buddy tells his clients to cut every ash tree down before they die.
You are right, they are great firewood trees!
Gunny, we do indeed have the darn beetle in parts of the UK, it looks bleak for the Ash trees all over Europe...... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 amThe loggers have some down and skidded to where the buyer can scale them but we are in for several days of flooding and they put the logs down in the bottom next to the river which will certainly flood. There are 6 or 8 of those oak logs that will bring $1000 each so I hate to lose them. Up to the Lord now.
Just lash 'em to stumps, or other trees. As long as they don't float AWAY, they will be fine. Done that several times when logging out riverbottom trees. Unless current is really swift doesn't take much to keep them from going downstream.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 amThe loggers have some down and skidded to where the buyer can scale them but we are in for several days of flooding and they put the logs down in the bottom next to the river which will certainly flood. There are 6 or 8 of those oak logs that will bring $1000 each so I hate to lose them. Up to the Lord now.
Just lash 'em to stumps, or other trees. As long as they don't float AWAY, they will be fine. Done that several times when logging out riverbottom trees. Unless current is really swift doesn't take much to keep them from going downstream.
Good idea Doc. It's a good 50 yards to the nearest tree but I've got some cable I'll offer to the loggers so they can maybe hang on to them 'til the water goes down.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That emerald ash borer is one bug which needs to be eradicated.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost