QuickLoad Ver 3.8 (Latest) Powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

QuickLoad Ver 3.8 (Latest) Powders

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK, so in answer to one or two interested parties here, I finally loosened the purse strings and got the latest QuickLoad update - Version 3.8, produced Dec. 2, 2016.

The main question is always about the powders covered. There are now 294 powders in the QuickLoad tables.

The update disc is $15.95; with shipping and handling it is $23.10 and it cost me $24.46 (shipped) because my foolish Governor also takes a bite out of my reloading ventures. The supplier, you see, is in California; thus the tax.

I truncated the "Powder" data file, leaving only the names of the powders, so you can see what is covered in this PDF from my online server site:
QLoad Powders 3 8.pdf

You can click on and download from:
https://app.box.com/s/tcph6u2vxhlt3t1gqxf4m434mdnitvhn

Additionally, Reload Swiss powders - RS 12, RS 20, etc. - can be downloaded from the Internet and that data can be placed into QuickLoad, for those who are interested. I found the "Reload Swiss.pro" file by Googling for it.

Before you update your QuickLoad with the Disc:

Be sure that you create a complete backup of your QuickLoad data folder - Mine is C:\Users\Public\Documents\QuickLoad, for instance. You may need to add any updates or corrections from your existing version.

One example: The many "Weapons" additions to their 3 firearms entered as a demo; if an update is not properly created.
Another more important example: QuickLoad completely rewrites the "Caliber" files, to which I had added ".45 Colt Blackhawk" with a higher "SAAMI" pressure than the 14k of the "standard" .45 Colt.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: QuickLoad Ver 3.8 (Latest) Powders

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks for posting this info John!
There are quite a few powders listed that I didn't ever see before!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My pleasure, Gunny. I edited my post while you were replying. Please note the additional info about backing up your data files before using the disc!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Much thanks for posting that list, John: I see that I can save my money for when they actually add a significant percentage of the newer powders. All I saw in your list that would be new are the IMR Enduron series and Alliant RL26. Still no LVR, still none of the myriad ball powders Alliant has introduced in the past 5 years.

Did you look to see if they had corrected any of the bullet length errors you had noticed? Since they added very few new powders I hope they at least corrected some of the errors that were sprinkled through the previous version.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What is the ver 3.9 all about that I see referenced in some places?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I don't think this update will help me as the powder changes noted are not used by me .If I can ask,what is the bullet length errors y'all are talking about? I would like to make a note of this if it will cause problems down the road.Thank you!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 am What is the ver 3.9 all about that I see referenced in some places?
This is the latest update for "QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET DATA UPDATE for V 3.6, 3.8 and early versions of 3.9" - per the website. 3.9 as a whole new version comes with a new manual, I guess. But - this is it, apparently, for the data.
earlmck wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:23 am ...I can save my money for when they actually add a significant percentage of the newer powders... Did you look to see if they had corrected any of the bullet length errors you had noticed?...
I THINK that there are some more bullets, too... very busy here at home with family matters... will post bullet types when I get a chance in the next day or two. And the update lets you click on a small box to display the bullet picture.

Milton and Earl,
I have made several corrections to bullet lengths, which can drastically affect pressures as your powder fills up the case on the higher end loads. There were some errors, perhaps from factory specs given to the software developer.

For whatever reason, I changed the data in the bullet tables but did not keep track of what I had to correct. I will keep changed data in the future; learned another lesson "the hard way."

I have posted before: ALWAYS measure your bullets!

As for me, I'll just refer to saved bullet lengths of previous loads for a particular bullet (that I saved as jpg photos) and/or measure new bullets as I use them.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you very much! I guess being older I do not trust many things in various programs so I do measure each bullet I load especially the seating depth . I just thought you had a list of errors in bullet lengths.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

SEE Separate post - "QuickLoad Ver 3.9 Update Bullets"