OT - T/C .54 Renegade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

OT - T/C .54 Renegade

Post by Swampman »

A local shop got in 2 T/Cs, (a Hawken and a Renegade)and I bought both of them. This one is the .54 Renegade. The price was reasonable. Oddly enough the first good muzzleloader I owned was a .54 Renegade that I got in the mid 1970s. I ordered a .58 caliber GM roundball barrel for it from Midway yesterday. I'm thinking about the Hawken Shop triggerguard too.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Ooooo, shiny! :D

It looks in the pic to be in really good shape.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've a Renagade in 54 my father gave me.
Awsome rifle.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

There are a lot of traditional muzzleloaders out there since many are jumping on the inline bandwagon.

I saw an ad for a TC Black Magnum 12 guage smoothbore, new in the box with all the cookies for $225.

Me thinks I will get it. It would be fun to shoot some waterfowl with a muzzleloader.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I'm a real fan of the Renegade .54...it's my main M/L. She's a beaut Swampman...she'll get your elk or moose just fine!

LeverBob
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Very nice. I have one in .50 and love the way the Renegade handels.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have one just like itand they are great! you know you can get smooth bore .56 cal barrels [i.e. 28 gauge] and even smooth bore 62 cal [i.e. 20 ga.] barrels that will drop right in?
here is a .56 smooth cheap over on the muzzleloading forum [not mine] at a really good price:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-cl ... 979/cat/34
cable
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Great gun, and caliber. Shoulders the best of all I've handled, very accurate.
I cast for it, too.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Here's my Hawken.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Those are some beau-ti-ful smoke poles you gentleman have! Congrats on the new muzzleloader - they are so much fun! :D
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Very Nice!

I have a 54 cal Renegade as well. It shoots awesome and the 54 is a great caliber.
Ask Me about an AMSOIL Discount for Forum members.

http://www.azoil.com
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I've owned my .54 for over 25yrs, great rifle, don't look as good as yours though, I bought a new .54cal Green Mountain round ball barrel for it last fall I have yet to shoot. Been in the midst of a major home renovation, going to have to rectify that soon!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a New Englander. The bores of the .54s are pretty much the same. It is a killer RB or conical.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I wish I could find a clean New Englander in 12 gauge for a reasonable price.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have one of the TC Big Bore rifles. The .570 diameter ball over 90gr of FFG is a hell of a deer killer.

I replaced the single trigger with a double set and matching trigger guard from a Renegade.

Accurate and powerful without a great deal of recoil. I do wish I had a few more inches of barrel and a 1-72 inch twist though. I think it would do well with 120gr of powder if I had a slower twist.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Swampman wrote:I wish I could find a clean New Englander in 12 gauge for a reasonable price.
Me, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"I do wish I had a few more inches of barrel and a 1-72 inch twist though."

The Green Mountain barrel I ordered from Midway is a 58 Caliber 1" Octagon 1 in 70" Twist 32".

Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

ImageImageThis one started out as a 54 renegade.I put a 62 caliber long hammock barrel on it and salvaged the patchbox and buttplate from an old markwell arms
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Nice - I think T/C makes a heck of a nice rifle - I sure hope that continues now the S&W own them.

I have a T/C PA Hunter flintlock carbine in .50 cal. That is a fine gun to shoot.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Rebel1972 wrote:ImageImageThis one started out as a 54 renegade.I put a 62 caliber long hammock barrel on it and salvaged the patchbox and buttplate from an old markwell arms
I saw a muzzleloader with that very patchbox over the fireplace at the Cracker Barrel in Tallahassee, FL last weekend. I wondered who made it.

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

yep

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got one of those too - only mine's a 50. Great shooters! And I really like the buttplates on these.

It's the one on the bottom (of course):

The other two are CVA mountain rifles - the top was a 54 but is now a 58 (spanish barrel) and the middle yellow one is a 50 - us made/Douglas barrel.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've been keeping an eye out for one of those CVAs.

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Swampman wrote:"I do wish I had a few more inches of barrel and a 1-72 inch twist though."

The Green Mountain barrel I ordered from Midway is a 58 Caliber 1" Octagon 1 in 70" Twist 32".
That would certainly do the job. Thanks.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Wow! My .58 caliber Green Mountain barrel came today. It looks like you could drive a bus down the bore. That am one big hole. I was afraid it would be heavy, but the balance is real nice.