Good news then the bad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Good news then the bad

Post by hondo1892 »

One of my customers has been trying to get me to come down to his place for a hog hunt since I built his rifle. Well we made a plan the first of this week for me to go next week. I was all excited about the trip and feeling good. My Dad likes to mow my lawn with my zero turn mower so I let him do it when he feels like it. Yesterday he came over and I pulled out the mower and gassed it up for him. He mowed for about twenty minutes and I heard a whining from the hydrostat drive. The right drive whines every time you move the stink forwards or back. Did some research and the hydro system is a closed system and no service is supposed to be needed. However several guys said that they had the same problem and changed the oil it and they work again. The problem is you have to completely remove the transmission and turn it upside down to drain it. So my lawn isn't even half mowed and I need to get it done before I leave and from what I've read its at least a four hour job. So now my trip may get moved back and I'm bumin. Oh well life is still good. Planned on taking a flintlock and my Marlin 336 so I could have a scope for low light shots. My guy has access to a 2800 acre farm to hunt and him and another buddy have already shot a couple of hogs this month.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good news then the bad

Post by FWiedner »

If you've got the time to do the job, jump on it, but really... the grass will be there when you come home.

Hog huntin' just won't keep until you get around to it. :shock:

Priorities, Sir. Priorities.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 pm If you've got the time to do the job, jump on it, but really... the grass will be there when you come home.

Hog huntin' just won't keep until you get around to it. :shock:

Priorities, Sir. Priorities.

:wink:

:lol:
Yep. No "lawn" at our place. We mow whenever we get around to it. 4-5 times a year is enough. Of course we do have goats to help... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just do whatever the people around here do....pay someone to do it. I believe my neighbor and me are the last people in my area that still mows their own yards.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

cant you take a siphon pump and pump it out without have to go through all that trouble? :shock:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Question is does the need to be CHANGED or is it just LOW ? Couldn't it just be topped off thus stopping the whine from lack of oil?
Thanks to the engineers for making another simple maintenance procedure a nightmare!
Those that can't do- draw
Those that cat draw -engineer
Those that can't engineer- teach
Those that can't teach-teach gym!

Go blast a few pigs!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

First I thought of two solutions. You could always rent a mower and let Dad finish the lawn, or pay someone to mow it for you.

But I like FWiedner's post; the grass will still be there when you get back...hog hunting might not wait... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like rossi92 said, siphon it out. I made a siphon jar from a gallon jug and just soldered a couple pieces of copper tubing into the lid. A piece of hose on an old arrow shaft to stick down in the case. Just like changing the oil on a boat. Use your pickup or car to hook a vacuum line to it's manifold to one side of the vacuum jar. When it is nearly full, stop and empty the jar and finish up if necessary. The whine is from low oil so just add some atf to it to finish the mowing and change it when you come back.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Around my Auld Phart Park, the Yard Nazis really hate my azz....I can always find something better to do than chop down God's Green Dirt Cover. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

What a night mare after five or so hours today I finally have the oil changed and every thing back together. There is no way to get to the plug to take it out without dropping the whole rear end. The pumps and transmissions are under the body with no access other than dropping them down. The drive belt needed to be changed to and I had to unbolt the engine and lift it up in order to get the belt from around the pulley. Nothing on the drive system was made for easy maintenance. I don't think any thought was put in to the design of this mower. I would never recommend a Cub Cadet zero turn to anyone unless you like to be abused. Now I need to get the Marlin out and make sure the scope is still zeroed in.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Sometimes it's good to let the grass go to seed so when you mow it thickens up. That's what I tell folks.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here