OT- What they don't teach you at kayaking school

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

OT- What they don't teach you at kayaking school

Post by WCF3030 »

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Wow!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That could leave a mark! :shock:
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Korean tourist you hear talking says, "Look at that, oh jeez the kayaker is dead. Oh, no, he's ok!"
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I don't know if my Old Town Canoe could withstand that impact
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That'll get your attention! :shock:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thought you had stay 100 yards from marine mammals. :?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The Lord has a PLAN for that man!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great you could translate Hobie.
Great post WCF3030

I'm honestly surprised that doesn't happen often. Kayakers are, let's say, uncautious.

For example, they will spread out and paddle down the center of a channel in a hundred fathoms of water, paddling into the setting sun, blissfully unaware that they are just about one hundred percent INVISIBLE.

They could travel in twelve inches of water, where they can't get run over, but NOOOOOooooooo.

I almost had a breaching whale land on my sixty-five foot fish boat one time. Probably would not have been as nice a result as the film clip. And Hobie probably could not translate the commentary that would have initiated...

I almost ran a twelve foot skiff up on the back of a sleeping whale at O'dark-thirty. Those things are awesome to get up close to, but they're scary too 'cause they sink boats a lot bigger than that kayak.

One fisherman was anchored up and reported on the radio that a whale had snuggled up to her thirty-two foot fishing boat and was caressing it with its flippers. I guess it couldn't find the aperture it was looking for and left unrequited.

I was hunting in a kayak once and drifting in a small cove watching the beach for deer when two minke whales came cruising thru the cove not far from me. They were in deep conversation; when they surfaced and blew one would say something in whale-ese and then they would submerge. When they re-emerged and blew the other would reply, they submerged, surfaced, and repeated the back and forth conversation. I'm not making up or exagerating one detail of their conversation. Unfortunately, it's beyond my capability to reproduce it so Hobie can translate.

I don't know what set me off this way..., oh yeah, the kayak smackdown flick...

Regards,

Grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash wrote:The Lord has a PLAN for that man!
I'll say! That is a multi-ton animal. Amazing that even in water he survived that impact. Must not have landed squarely on him! :shock:
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

rjohns94 wrote:thought you had stay 100 yards from marine mammals. :?
did anyone tell the mammals that :-) :-) :-)

I'd love to Kayak with the killer whales ..

Talon
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

If killer whales could laugh I'm betting that one was close to passing out. All of his killer whale buddies were probably cracking up a couple of hundred yards away as well. One of those "hey guys, watch this" moments ... like a good Gary Larson drawing.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

:shock:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

If they figure out there is a blood sausage in those shells, it's all over. Whales will joist with your yacht, if they get excited.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Bet the Orca left after smelling all the kayaker poop in the water!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Didn't a forum member just recently mention an upcoming kayak hunt in Alaska? I hope he remembers to pack a 55 gallon drum of Killer Whale repellent. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sounds interesting I wish I could veiw it. It just flickers at me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:If killer whales could laugh I'm betting that one was close to passing out. All of his killer whale buddies were probably cracking up a couple of hundred yards away as well. One of those "hey guys, watch this" moments ... like a good Gary Larson drawing.
Rimfire,

Now I'm close to passing out. That's funny right there !!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

BenT wrote:Sounds interesting I wish I could view it. It just flickers at me.
Sorry about that.

Basically it starts with 3 kayakers in the ocean and then a Large Killer Whale (Free Willy) jumps a good 12ft out of the water and suplexes (WWF style) one of the kayakers. He stays under for about 4 seconds then pops up like a cork and starts paddling for all his worth to the boat.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The Lord has a PLAN for that man!
right after he gets through changing his pants and cleaning out his kayak :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Back in the late 70's I was night fishing for sand bass outside Dana Point Harbor in my little 12' Sears Gamefisher. My buddy and I could hear the sound of whales exhaling far away POOOF the sound kept getting closer and closer, until a pod of 4 killer whales each took there turn spyglassing us and swimming under the boat.
It was quite an experience and I feel lucky to have been able to experience that. I will never forget that night. Scared the stuff outa me though!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

......."I think we need a bigger boat" :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:I was hunting in a kayak once and drifting in a small cove watching the beach for deer when two minke whales came cruising thru the cove not far from me. They were in deep conversation; when they surfaced and blew one would say something in whale-ese and then they would submerge. When they re-emerged and blew the other would reply, they submerged, surfaced, and repeated the back and forth conversation. I'm not making up or exagerating one detail of their conversation. Unfortunately, it's beyond my capability to reproduce it so Hobie can translate.

Grizz
Great visual Grizz. Priceless.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wow....Thats incredible....
I saw a killer whale leap out of the water while windsurfing...
but he was a couple hundred yards away....
and
I hauled @$$ back to shore real quick too!
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Awesome...............
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They pretty much just told us not to touch the turtles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...