OT - What I woke up to this morning:-(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT - What I woke up to this morning:-(

Post by cshold »

Went down to the kitchen for that first cup of joe. Looked out the kitchen window and there the poor thing was in the middle of the yard eating grass. A rabbit with an arrow sticking through it. :shock: The arrow has hunter orange fletching for the entire neighborhood to see. (I live in a development) Needless to say I am extremely upset with whoever the knuckle head was that did this. :x All this kind of thing does is gives my anti hunter neighbors fuel for there fire. :( If I get an opportunity, I will indeed try to cleanly and safely put the rabbit out of its misery. The arrow is high in the back. about 3â€
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

You are correct for sure. It is our supreme duty to be safe, responsible and ethical hunters and shooters.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My Marlin Model 39 and an Aguila Super Colibri would have fixed that pronto. Then I'd shoot the bunny.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My state require that all hunting arrows be marked with the owners name/addy on the shaft.

Make folks a tad more careful, when they know they leave tracks.

That said, I dunno why the shooter didn't use a judo point on small game. They don't penetrate like that, they just deliver a lethal blow to the skeletal/nervous system.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:My state require that all hunting arrows be marked with the owners name/addy on the shaft.
Not so sure I agree with a law like that.
What the heck ever happened to just plain old common sense.

The arrow looked to be a cheap target point arrow.
My gut feeling is, it was done by one of the bright
light neighborhood kids.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote:My Marlin Model 39 and an Aguila Super Colibri would have fixed that pronto. Then I'd shoot the bunny.
+1 :evil:

Tou are 100% correct. It is this kind of thing that gives all outdoors enthusiasts - hunters and target shooters alike - a very bad rap. Just one more nail in our mutual coffin...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you could find who the kid is, and if their parent's aren't obnoxious, that sounds like a kid who needs a guiding hand to steer their adventerous 'hunting' instincts in the right direction by going on a REAL hunt with an ethical hunter. It might turn them into a respectable grownup someday.

A kid might not have a clue that it was a stupid thing to do, if all they ever knew of guns hunting and bows was what you see on television. Once they shot the rabbit, unless they had some outdoor skills to begin with (and maybe that .22LR mentioned above), they'd not be able to make things right, either.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Not being a bow hunter, I have this question. What would you do if you shot a rabbit with an arrow and it was not a lethal hit and it ran off. What if the rabbit (who was obviously well enough to hop around someone's back yard) scurried away and could not be tracked? I agree with the posts about responsible hunting and shooting, but it seems to have taken the theme as "some anti-hunter's stupid kid". Maybe it was not a bad hunting shot? Suppose the rabbit was hiding behind an archery target and an errant arrow hit it? Suppose an arrow riccocheted (sp) off a reasonable target and struck an unseen rabbit in the brush? Hunting and shooting enthusiasts jumping to conclusions are just as bad as anit-gunners/anti-hunters condemming our sport in a like manner.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

“Not being a bow hunter, I have this question. What would you do if you shot a rabbit with an arrow and it was not a lethal hit and it ran off.â€
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Definitely food for thought, mikld. :roll: :oops:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd shoot it with a pellet gun or .22 rifle with cb's or trap it (drop net would do good), cut the arrow, put some vasaline on the side to be pulled through and then pull it out - let im go.

Easier just to pop it in the head though.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have had this happen to me with field points but I allways have my dog with me :wink: Now I make my own broadheads and get pass throughs and a bored dog :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

This was probably no accident but that doesn't mean it was done out of meaness either. All I can do is relate my experience.

About 1988 or 89 my neighbor kid knocked on the door. He was about 13 years old at the time. He had just done that exact same thing. He was very upset ... almost crying ... and wanted advise and help (his folks were not home, just him and his older brother). We got the .22 and went looking for the rabbit but didn't find it. The boy knew he had been stupid and felt bad. Two days later he borrowed a shovel ... he had still been looking and finally found the rabbit. He took the time to bury it. He had learned a lesson that quite a few "grownups" I know still have not learned.

Kids/adults can do dumb things ... we all did/do.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Seems like right away there is the assumption that it was a "hunter" even though it was observed that there was a field point on the arrow, NOT what a "hunter" would use.

Sounds like a "stupid kid" trick to me.

This is not a hunting ethics issue.
:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.