a genuine Hawken spencer plains gun:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

a genuine Hawken spencer plains gun:

Post by hfcable »

http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sales ... emId=57787

the hawkens and their successor gemmer modified sharps and spencers and others to be more rugged and useful, etc;
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow! Someone wanted that puppy! Interesting variation on a theme. Thanks for posting that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

No recoil with that baby!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wish I had that kind of spending money.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

piller wrote:Wish I had that kind of spending money.
me too, though i have seen ones for a lot less;
and
Hobie said: "No recoil with that baby!"

Hobie, you are right, that would be like shooting a .22 wouldn't it? hard to figure why they even bothered, except they got paid to do it. Hobie, have you ever read Andre Garcia's book "Tough Trip Through Paradise: Montana 1878" ? It is from the writings of young Garcia based on his experiences as a horse wrangler for the cavalry and then a trading post operator [mobile, of course] in that very year. He comments on trying to sell the Indians Spencers and how they wanted guns that killed buffalo without having to shoot them repeatedly. if you have never read that book you owe to yourself to get it; it is out of print, but can be purchased for cheap in paper back. if you cant find it, i will send you mine. it is one great, completely authenticate read, with detailed discussions of the firearms at points.
cable
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow. I can only imagine what my collection would look like if I had that kind of coin to throw around! :shock:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

hfcable wrote:
piller wrote:Hobie, have you ever read Andre Garcia's book "Tough Trip Through Paradise: Montana 1878" ? It is from the writings of young Garcia based on his experiences as a horse wrangler for the cavalry and then a trading post operator [mobile, of course] in that very year. He comments on trying to sell the Indians Spencers and how they wanted guns that killed buffalo without having to shoot them repeatedly. if you have never read that book you owe to yourself to get it; it is out of print, but can be purchased for cheap in paper back. if you cant find it, i will send you mine. it is one great, completely authenticate read, with detailed discussions of the firearms at points.
Neat, I've got it on order. Thanks!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

btt
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Wow. Very neat. I've thought about doing something very similar to my Taylor Spencer repro. I saw an original Spencer at a gunshow a few years ago set up with a fairly heavy octagon barrel. I think one with a 24" octagon would balance very nicely. The current carbine is pretty butt heavy.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie