OT - Livin in CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

JohndeFresno wrote:Hmmmm...nice.

I guess the appropriate response is, since I couldn't get to my wife on time from where I was... any simpleton who is not willing to stick his neck out to keep his wife and children from getting hurt, has no business carrying a loaded firearm.
If the situation was as you describe, and I have no reason to doubt you, I think you did the right thing. Only a moron would have waited until he hit his wife, just to "make it legal".

I have a question, back on topic, what cities in Northern Ca, where these great sounding conditions live. Let me explain, I'm not doubtful, it's just that I'm retireing sometime between now and May of '09 and am looking to relocate from the Palmdale area.

I'd just like to know the various names of cities, so I can look them up for real estate prices, weather, etc.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

There are a lot of beautiful places in Northern California that could fill the bill, depending upon what you are looking for. I was born in Portland, Oregon, and used to fish the Klamath and Rogue Rivers, so I would probably end back up in that area, were it not for job, children, church and friends; I really love the deep woods and other considerations. Someday, I plan to return to settle near my birthplace.

But California has lots of great places to live, if you can meet the land prices, and then take into consideration hunting and/or sporting preferences, the gun laws we mentioned, and other things that I would consider. You will probably get even more input from Levergunners, here.

Madera County, for instance (where you can still get a gun permit) has lots of mountainous regions and mountain towns. It borders Yosemite, along with other counties. Raymond, Coarsegold and North Fork, for instance, are true pioneer towns, right out of the pages of history. I could write rivers here; but Oakhurst and Coarsegold ("Fresno Flats," previously) were written about by Bret Harte, and North Fork is where Sam Peckinpah the great western director spent his childhood - and named in some of his movies, and in fact the not-too-fictional town of "The Rifleman" TV series that Peckinpah brought to the silver screen when we were boys.

I spent my teens in Coarsegold and Oakhurst - twin mountain cities located between Fresno and Yosemite National Park. Coarsegold was so named because the largest placer mined nugget - that is, found in a stream - in California's history was found there during Gold Rush years. I actually panned for gold in the 60's as a teenager, fished in the stream, hunted quail, deer, doves, wascally wabbits, and so on. It still has the Coarsegold Rodeo, but the beautiful terrain, hunting and stream fishing is giving away to all of the city folks, ranchette homes, and retired, anonymous movie stars taking over the land and building up shopping centers and city life in the immediate area. Most of the game is chased away in Coarsegold and Oakhurst, although Ahwahnee and Nippinawassee (Indian names) are nearby towns where deer and game still find their way onto ranch property.

I would enter the town, and then "CA" into Google (North Fork CA, for instance) to see what the Internet says, since most cities across the nation have chambers of commerce and usually post photos. Then, I'd use Google Earth (if your Internet is fast enough to handle it - the program is free from Google) to see the actual towns via satellite, with their terrain, houses, and so on. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Fresno County towards Mammoth Lake has unbelievable mountains, streams, and such - but the homesites are becoming astronomical in price.

Sacramento County and Trinity County are two beautiful rugged mountain areas, in various parts.

If you go far north - towards the Mt. Shasta area, for example - homesites are still affordable. My oldest brother, a retired police officer from Monterey, CA, lives in Montague near Mt. Shasta. Where he lives, he rarely sees a soul except for a few neighbors, yet he can drive to Yuba City or Multnomah County, Oregon for hospital care and other stuff.

I hope that this is helpful, not just a rambling mess. All the best!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Thanks John
Will look into those cities.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Handi,

my first thought is, "get outta Kali !!" The tax burden, the oppression, all that sorta stuff we know so well.

That said, JdFresno mentions Coarsegold. One of my pals and his wife live there and love it !! He retired from the Canoga Park boneyard a couple of years ago and they moved there.
And, he's a pretty decent gunsmith of sorts, and does reloading.
So there's a ready-made new friend right there.

Cheers,

Carl
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

[quote="new pig hunter"]Handi,

my first thought is, "get outta Kali !!" The tax burden, the oppression, all that sorta stuff we know so well.

Oppression? I don't got no stinkin' oppression. I'm pre-Prop 13 so my taxes are low, low, low, less that $700 per annum. You know not of what you speak.

Folks that have not lived in California are seriously misinformed about the situation hereabouts. Others that left were denizens of SoCal so I cannot blame them for bailing out.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JohndeFresno wrote:

"At the very least, you cannot pass it onto a family member in this state, unless it happens to be approved for the particular year and month when the transfer is to occur. Certifications expire."

That statement is not correct. In the case of a death, the Administrator/Executor of the Estate can pass a handgun on to a family member or even a private party whether the handgun is on the Department of Justice (DOJ) approved list or not. The requirement is that once the transfer has been made, the recipient of the handgun must register it with DOJ.

Here's a silly quirk in the Handgun Approve List rule:

If I go to a gun store and sell a handgun to the store, the store can't resell the handgun unless it is on the Approved List. However, if I go to the same gun store and put the same handgun on consignment, the store can sell the handgun on my behalf. It is called a "Private Party Transfer". Also, I can sell the same handgun directly to another party so long as I transfer the handgun through a FFL dealer/gun store so that the proper paper work can be completed. This is why almost no gun store will buy a handgun or take one on trade in CA anymore.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JohndeFresno -

Not trying to be argumentative here but just wanted to correct that one thing so as not to confuse the issue with Californians. I do agree with all the rest of your post.

The past Sheriff (served for 20-years) and the current Sheriff (just elected last year) here in Modoc County were/are strong believers in CCW Permits and as long as you have nothing negative in your background and you demonstrate proper gun handling (a two hour demonstration/course at our local range) you WILL be given a CCW in this county.

I agree with what you say about some counties and their CCW Permit policies. San Diego County is a hell of a good example of what you say. The sheriff there (Bill Kohlender) is a two faced *** that only gives CCWs to his supporter and high ranking members of the civilian community.

Personally, I don't have a need for a CCW Permint and don't have one but if I decided I wanted one, I could have one within 30-days. Just submitt my paperwork, go to the range to demonstrate proper gun handling and the Sheriff would issue me a CCW Permit.

I don't like the CA Gun Laws but I have come to learn to deal with them and have not had any problems.
ED
Yer never too old
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Modoc Ed,

You, too, live in a county that has some beautiful places; I am just not as familiar with Modoc County as with others where I have resided, hunted, and so on.

Thank you for the information - we all need it. As I said in my post, "Correct me if I'm wrong, fellow Levergunners!!"

Now, I was told by two gun store owners, both long-timers, that in fact that I cannot even TRANSFER a handgun that is no longer approved, so it appears that they are in error. The gun laws are confusing, even to the ATF, we keep learning - but I really need to verify what you are saying (no offense intended) because I have in fact been very concerned as to how I can pass on my gun collection to my children.

For that reason, would you be so kind as to point me (and others) to the section(s) that tell us about the legal way to:

1) Have a dealer sell a "non-approved" gun? I'll show it to the owners of "The Range" in Fresno and elsewhere, where I was told differently.

2) Transfer my stuff to my kids via my Living Trust will? I have an excellent SKS rifle, for instance, and who knows how long it will be transferable, with Hillary running for Prez?

This might seem slightly off topic, but I recall that this thread started with the request to describe other places to live and their GUN LAWS.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Many of the dealers misinterprett gun laws. I have several dealers here that WILL NOT let you have a copy of their FFL for a transfer.

I just recently traded a Win 94 Trapper for a Marlin 1895GS with a guy from TX. The one main dealer I deal with has zero issues with me mailing his FFL off to a private party. Most others will not, in fact, they wanted gun shops to call them, and give them a fax number so they could fax it to the dealer, like it's some sort of secret document or something.

The problem is the dealers read the law and interpret it the way THEY want to. I've heard more times than I want to "Hey, I don't want the DOJ down my back", well if you follow the rules they won't be.

I got my gun from TX by the way, just have to find a dealer that KNOWS the law.

As for the sherriff issues, Lee Baca (LA County) is a PITA, and he too only allows the rich and famous (or potically involved) to get CCW's.

Funny how the "masses" cannot get them but those that think we have no need are doling them out to the ones they choose.

As for the rest of living in CA, there is a LOT of good, but the southern half of the state could lose about 12 million people and be just fine.

I've found it funny before when talking politics and crime, and people always talk about how bad it is here, but I always point out that we have as many people in LA county, alone, as many have in their entire state. In fact, we have more than about 4-5 of the northern states COMBINED. So yes, it's crowded and crime is high, in certain areas, but this county is HUGE, about 100 miles from the SW tip to the NE tip and 70-80 miles wide. About 80% of the population is in the lower 50% of the county. Luckily I live in the northern part.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Palmdale is still LA County, overall pretty tough restrictions and no CCW unless you're Robert Blake.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JohndeFresno -

I do not have those codes in front of me; however, your being a police officer you probably have a copy of the CA Civil Code and you can look up the law on transfer of firearms or if you do not have the current CA Civil Code, you can get it here.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Jones Fort gun store in Redding, CA should be able to help you concerning transfers of firearms too should you be in their area.

One thing to consider here is that CA wants to keep track of handguns especially and if they completely freeze out the transfer of handguns, they know that handguns will be transferred anyway and that they will eventually lose track of some of them.

Also as "handirifle" stated, gunshops (even the police) interpret the gun laws differently from shop to shop. It shouldn't be that way but it is. I've found that if a gunstore owner has a question about the law they will err on the most stringent interpretation of the law. For instance, the waiting period for a firearm is 10-days but actually it is 10 24-hour periods starting with the minute you purchase the firearm. For instance, if I were to buy a firearm at 1:00 PM on 16 Oct 2007 at my local gun store, I could legally pick that firearm up 1-minute past 1:00PM on 25 Oct 2007 BUT most gunstores wouldn't turn the firearm over until 26 Oct 2007. It isn't that they are trying to penalize the gun buyer, they are just covering their butt to make sure everything falls under the rules -- as confusing as they are. There are two gun shops in my town and both of them handle firearm transfers differently. One is more stringent -- not out of malice but rather more of a "cover your butt" mode while the other is a little more lenient -- strictly by the book but no second guessing.

If your children are old enough now to legally own a handgun or long gun, you should transfer whatever firearms you want to them now while you can as there is no telling what the law may be next year -- especially if the Dems get the White House and take even bigger majorities in both houses of Congress.

Then if you really want to open up a can of worms there is the question of "out of state transfers". If you go over the border to say Oregon where transfer of firearms between individuals is legal without going through a FFL dealer and transfer a firearm between yourself and another individual, have you broken the law? After all, you were in a state where the transfer was legal but was it legal as far as CA is concerned. Frankly, I don't know and as I strive to obey all gun laws, I will not tempt fate to find out. However, there are some people that say it is legal.

My final word is to check and verify that all aspects of your firearm pruchases, transfers and all other transactions are legal. If in doubt, hire a lawyer to research whatever it is what you want to do and even then there are no gurantees.
ED
Yer never too old
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I don't know what you intend to do there but living isn't one of them. What happens there is about as much 'living' as day to day survival at Auschwitz.

California is a terribly repressive state at all levels. It is the home turf of 'Big Brother' of '1984' infamy. You don't have any 'rights'. "Rights' are not in the California political lexicon. Only 'Permitted' and 'Not permitted' are.

There are more to CA guns laws than mentioned here. How about the fact that there are no private sales. If you father dies and leaves you his guns you have to take them to an FFL and register their transfer and pay heavily for the privilege. You can only buy handguns from an approved list. Many/most out of production guns and many 'novelty' or special feature guns are not on that list.

Forget right to carry unless you are a US Senator or Hollywood freak.

Browse through Sportsman's Guide catalog and notice all the little footnotes telling what can not be sent to which states, even the most innocuous but politically incorrect items, not necessarily just guns.

Forget about moving to Kalifornia and move straight to Hell instead. You will hardly notice the difference.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you, Ed - for the great post and all of the useful info.

In fact, I have considered purchasing all of my firearms elsewhere. I don't want to be a lawbreaker, yet mandatory registration is a very bad law for many reasons.

I remember that even California Highway Patrol officers, and possibly others from here, were dispatched to Lousiana by "Mutual Aid" request, and then had to comply with a hare-brained Mayor's orders to completely disarm the people who were victimized by roving criminal gangs. They were then assaulted, robbed, raped and even killed after the cops disarmed them and fled the scene. And despite NRA's intervention, most of them never got their guns back, the last I heard. The Mayor or Police Chief lied (can't remember which one - it was on the news) and stated that no guns were taken.

But at this moment, I am of the impression that one cannot even bring in a firearm to this state that they purchased out of the state without registering it; at the very least, then cannot transfer it later without committing a crime. I'll have to find the time to read the statutes.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

BAGTIC, slow down just a smidgeon. CA is in no way related to a concentration camp. Freedoms abound, so I fail to understand your ranting. Have you ever lived in CA? Sure doesn't sound like it.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Modoc ED wrote:JohndeFresno -

I do not have those codes in front of me; however, your being a police officer you probably have a copy of the CA Civil Code and you can look up the law on transfer of firearms or if you do not have the current CA Civil Code, you can get it here.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

[snip]
It would be useful for any person curious about Calif. laws to at least glance at the above quoted link. I recognize it as one that I used often, in the past. It's probably the best one in which to find California laws, verbatim. And you can see dozens of codes that pervade in our state, as listed - an indication to the uninformed as to how litigious and regulated our state is!

Anyway, I searched the Civil Code for "transfer" and "firearm" and "gun" using the site, but found nothing that helps me with the transfer of a firearm.

"Transfer" evoked a lot of mortgage and contract stuff. I don't think that the Civil Code is the answer; but there is probably something in our Penal Code. I don't enforce these laws anymore. I do technical stuff now, and have forgotten wagon loads of stuff that a California cop must know in his daily rounds.

FYI, I found something that will probably provide the info I need, but the two sections are collectively 66 pages long. It is downloadable BATF and California stuff available at:
http://crime.about.com/library/blgunquiz_ca.htm

However, it's too much for me to study at this time, due to job and other responsibilities! I guess I'll have to run down somebody with ATF who really knows this stuff.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Bagtic-
You have no idea of what you are talking about. Period. Concentration camp? Crazy talk. You live in California? If so and you feel this way I would find a place that I felt better about, JMO. Being that bitter is no way to live; to equate where you are living to hell is kind of silly and sad.
Any Father or Mother can give guns to their children, any guns, even ones not on the list. The kid can than fill out a form called a Firearm Ownership Record form and send it to the state with $19.00 and the state sends a form saying you are now the owner of said gun. I recently did this with a Colt Python from my Father (who lives in another state), a gun not on the list. I have the state letter in my files, so I know what I am talking about. For transfer info, read California Firearm Laws 2007, the info is on page 37. All this info is very easy to find and read. True you can't sell a gun direct to another person without going through an FFL and waiting 10 days. Big deal, who cares. On CCW, as the other posts from people who live here and have them state, it is a breeze in outer lying areas, tough to impossible in big city areas. I can't get one where I live, if I had to live my life strapped up I'd move a couple hours away and get one. Man, I don't know what you went through in California to bring on this much hate but it must have been bad to equate it to a concentration camp.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

jazman wrote:Bagtic-
...Any Father or Mother can give guns to their children, any guns, even ones not on the list. The kid can than fill out a form called a Firearm Ownership Record form and send it to the state with $19.00 and the state sends a form saying you are now the owner of said gun. I recently did this with a Colt Python from my Father (who lives in another state), a gun not on the list. I have the state letter in my files, so I know what I am talking about. For transfer info, read California Firearm Laws 2007, the info is on page 37. All this info is very easy to find and read...you can't sell a gun direct to another person without going through an FFL and waiting 10 days...
Excellent, Jazman. You have solved my questions and major dilemma, at least. I'll get my paws on the Calif Firearms Laws 2007. Thank you very much!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

JohndeFresno -

Go to the CA State Attorney General Office web site and look up their DOJ pamphlet Gun Laws 2007 that "jazman" referenced. It is a an abreviated synopsis of the CA gun laws but it does give the applicable section of the Civil Code for each subject written about.

You keep referring to ATF. The heck with ATF. They aren't the primary authority for firearm transfers in CA. The CA DOJ is the enforcement agency for CA.The term you may be looking for in the search engines may be "Private Party Transfers" or "Firearm Transfers Between Family Members".

Anyway, these days it pays to keep on your toes and refresh your knowledge often as to the gun laws.

Here's the link you need: (I keep it in my Favorites) --

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html

Look in the left pane titled "Firearms" and then look down at the second topic titled "California Firearms Laws Summary Booklet". That should get you started. That book contains summaries of laws written about. Look at the Civil Code Section/Article quoted and then look up the complete Section/Article in the Civil Code.

Save that link to your Favorites. I use it often.

As "jazman" said, family and private party transfers are possible and happen daily.

Just be alert about what you are doing, ask questions, and enjoy the firearm rights that we do have in CA.

You don't have to do this with long guns but if you bring a handgun into the state (CA), you go to DMV and they have a DOJ form that is for registering a handgun. Go through the steps that "jazman" talked/wrote of and you should have no problems.

Hope this has helped out all the guys on this forum in CA.
ED
Yer never too old
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Most of the restrictions for transfer and sales pertain to handguns only. Long guns are OK as of this moment. Remember, none of those pesky .50 BMGs. :roll:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanx, Modoc and Mike. I'm getting a little rusty on gun laws, since I don't work the streets anymore; I consult on technical stuff. And I was never thrilled to enforce some of the gun laws, even though it was required of me at times.

I shoulda remembered that ATF has very little to do with our more restrictive California laws. I keep thinking of them, since they are frequently involved in these issues on items of mutual interest.

But I think we can all agree that it's predominantly in the Penal Code, not the Civil Code. That threw me for a loop!

I downloaded from the DOJ site. Good advice.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Well I'm still glad I was pretty much forced to move out of Fresno, Calif back in 1998 by my employer. That large Federal bunch at 5045 Butler ave. JohndeFresno, I spent my 1st 42 years a couple hundred yards from Cedar and Shields. By the time we moved it had gone wayyy down hill.

True I miss going up 41 to Oakhurst and Coarsegold and back into Mammoth pool and chiquita creek. Not to mention up 168 to Shaver and my favorite of all Huntington lake. Or up 180 to the Sequoia area.

Ahh But to put it back on topic, when I left Fresno there was a 15 day waiting period I believe. Now I walk into the local gun store, plunk down my money and walk out with my new handgun.

By showing the local sheriff my then expired Ca. permit to carry a firearm as a security guard and filling out the paperwork I was issued a CCW.

There are more deer and wild turkey here then you can shake a stick at. The fishing is good too, although to go deep sea fishing it does take more then a drive to San Luis Obispo area.

I still own rental property in Clovis and had planned on retiring there but over the past couple 4 years we have pretty much decided to stay here. I'm right now looking at 22 acres very close to the Potomac river in WVa. Will probably put in a retirement home there.

Fresno city had gotten too rough, those soulless asian gangs mentioned earlier on this thread are a real PITA.

Still though a lot of things in Calif I miss.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Mike D. wrote:
new pig hunter wrote:Handi,

Oppression? I don't got no stinkin' oppression. I'm pre-Prop 13 so my taxes are low, low, low, less that $700 per annum. You know not of what you speak. .
That is fine for those who think only of themselves, screw everyone else. The truth is that you may pay only $700 a year but the young couple who buys a house identical to yours and right next door to you will get screwed 3, 4, 5 thousand dollars a year for the same house just so 'grandpa' can get his subsidy.

Oregon's solution to property taxes is much better than Kalifornia' and I have lived under both of them.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I would like to know where everyone is getting their "facts" from. There is NO regestering firearms even in CA, unless it is one of the rifles listed in the assault weapons ban that ran out in '04 nationwide. Unfortunately it was made CA law.

When I buy a weapon here, it is NOT registered with the state. The records kept here by FFL's are the same ones kept there by your FFL's, at least the ones their supposed to keep.

It is a Federal requirement when a dealer takes a firearm in trade to check the s# with the feds for possibly stolen firearms.

When you buy a firearm in any state from a dealer, you must pass a FEDERAL backround check. Some state, probably most, allow face to face personal sales without the backround check. CA did until just a few years ago.

The dealer does record the name of the buyer, and the s# on the firearm in his log book but not to turn it over to the state or feds, UNLESS it becomes part of a legit legal investigation, such as the firearm being used in a crime, and the factory traces the s# back to a dealer that sold it.
My guns are a PART of my life, but they are not my entire life. They do represent a part of my freedom ,and I do fight to keep them, but if you think CA is the only state with strong gun laws, dream on.

Everytime you see another psyco on TV blow away another 15 people on a school campus, you can bet the Anti's are gearing up for another assault.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Having lived in CA from 1952 to 1990, I refuse to comment. I live in TX now. Keep wondering what took me so long.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

MikeS., you named most of the places I head to, to escape. Chiquita Creek Campground, which has a ranger for convenience but is also fed by a beautiful little stream, and is on the edge of some true wilderness area near Yosemite, is one of my choices for overnight stays. But now that the road is well paved, you get the dudes with TV's and big trailers, so the city life is starting to creep up there, destroying its charm. That's the problem with most of the places that are in driving distance for me; or else they are dry camps way out in the woods where I have to deal with packing in water and firewood (regulations, ya know).

I probably need to get out of Central California, at least.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

handirifle wrote: When I buy a weapon here, it is NOT registered with the state. The records kept here by FFL's are the same ones kept there by your FFL's, at least the ones their supposed to keep.
Call it what you may, Handirifle; I may be using the wrong terminology, speaking in the most technical sense. But as a peace officer I could always pull up an automated DROS (Dealers Record of Sale) on any California resident who had purchased a handgun, dating back to their earliest purchases. As deputies and investigators answering calls or pursuing investigations, we employed a weapons check on the residents and even neighboring homes, if the circumstances indicated that we might be walking into danger. At least in some communities (like Fresno), residence information is linked by computers with current or likely residents, and their names can be instantly cross-checked with the ATF firearm records for guns registered to their name.

Any weapon sold over the counter that you fill paperwork on ends up in a computer with your name, address, and so on; or at least that used to be the case during my active street career. Thus, the guns are registered, and the owner's whereabouts are known.

While this is great for officer safety on one hand, things seem to be getting out of hand with the anti-gunners and their current demands for these listings. Who is to say that these lists aren't used to identify gun owners to disarm them when the political anti-gun fervor reaches its peak - at least in my state? The scenario presented in the movie, "Red Dawn" is * not at all * a stretch of the imagination - were a repressive government seizes all firearms records and disarms the populace by force. Again, although I don't know if firearms records were searched first, but that is precisely what our own police officers did to residents of New Orleans. They went house to house confiscating firearms, and stopping vehicles to disarm even those fleeing the city. And in one instance, actually assaulting an 80+ year old lady who offered no resistance. That is on film and available on a DVD provided by the NRA upon request.

I don't deal with these things in my present assignment, but I don't think that has changed - it still all goes to a huge computer database, does it not? You can't buy a gun of any type from a dealer without filling out the paperwork, to my knowledge. At least, that has been the case with every handgun I have purchased, whether as a peace officer or for personal use, and every new rifle that I have purchased from a gun dealer.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

John, can you call up long gun purchases? I tried it on myself and came up with zilch. The last OTC handgun purchase of mine was in 1968, a new Colt Combat Commander .38 Super. The price was $98, and I have the box it came in. Wish the gun was in the same condition as the box. :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

handirifle wrote:
:I would like to know where everyone is getting their "facts" from. There is NO regestering firearms even in CA, unless it is one of the rifles listed in the assault weapons ban that ran out in '04 nationwide. Unfortunately it was made CA law."
Sadly there is a form of regisgration in CA.

Effective 1 January 1990, CA required that all dealers submit a new form titled "Dealer's Transfer of Firearm" to the CA DOJ for the sale of any firearm (long gun or handgun). That form required all the information that the Federal Form required along with other information for CA State purposes. For HANDGUNS, the serial number of the handgun was included on the form and it WAS/IS recorded with DOJ and believe it or not along with the master records of DMV.

When a person moves into CA and they go to DMV to get a drivers license, there is a form at DMV that they have to fill out if they are bringing any handgun into CA. They have to fill out a form for each handgun. If you don't declare your handgun when you move into CA, you are in serious trouble.

This'll shake you up some!!! I have a scanner and listen primarily to the CDF, BLM, and USFS bands for fire info (prudent if you live in the woods/boonies like I do) but I also scan the police and fire bands. Whenever the Sheriff, City Police, or Highway Patrol are dispatched to an address for any physical altercation, the officer will ask if there are any weapons at that address. After a short (very short) pause, the dispatcher will come back and say, there is a handgun at that address or there is an assault weapon at that address. On traffic stops if an officer finds a handgun in a vehicle, they call the serial number of the handgun into the dispatcher to see who the handgun is registered to. The dispatcher gets that information from the master files at DMV along with all vehicle, drivers license info, etc. and give the info to the officer. I hear it every day.

The date 1 January 1990 is also the date that long guns were included in the 15-day (at the time -- now 10-day) waiting period for a firearm and it is also the date that CA required that all firearms be trasferred through a FFL dealer for private party transfers and the new requirements for transfer of firearms between family members was also established.

NOW!!!! If you acquired a handgun BEFORE 1 January 1990, "handirifle" is correct when he says that the handgun is not registered with CA and that is perfectly legal and you DO NOT have to register it with CA DOJ. However, should a police officer, game warden, etc. have occassion to check out your handgun while in your possession (hunting, plinking, at the range etc) and he runs the serial number through his dispatcher and they can't verify that you are the legal owner of that handgun be prepared for the officer to confiscate your handgun until you can provide proof that it is yours. Proof would be a receipt with the serial number on it, an estate executor's letter of transfer, DOJ ownership certificate as "jazman" spoke of earlier in this thread, etc.. THAT is why I always carry a copy of my proof of ownership of whatever handgun I have in my possession whenever I am out hunting or just plinking or even at the range. It is a good idea for everyone to do it.
ED
Yer never too old
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Mike D. -

As I stated in my last post, serial numbers for long gun (rifles, shotguns) purchases are not forwarded to DOJ -- only handguns.

Here's a tip for you guys in CA -- especially those living near the OR and NV border. This would apply to any other states too.

I carry a .30-06 rifle in my turck all the time and sometimes a shotgun and .22LR rifle too. I shoot or hunt most every day. When traveling locally, I carry the .30-06 in my back window rifle rack but mostly carry it locked in my cross-bed tool box.

So, what happens when I cross the CA/OR border to go shopping in say Klamath Falls, OR or when I cross the CA/NV border to go shopping in Reno, NV?? Many different laws kick in in those situations including Federal laws concerning crossing a state line with a firearm.

My solution is simple. Each year I purchase an out-of-state hunting license for OR and NV. Just the basic license. No tags. It cost me about $150.00 total for the two states but well worth it for my purposes -- hunting and possession of a firearm. That makes it legal for me to carry a firearm in my truck while in those states and satisfys the Federal requirements for crossing a state line with a firearm. The licenses are not a waste either as I DO hunt in those states too.

Because I do have a rifle in my truck almost all the time, I keep up on the firearm laws as best I can and I follow them to the letter. It's just the smart thing to do. Anymore, I rarely even take a handgun out of my safe but when I do, I always carry a copy of my proof of ownership with me as I stated in my last post. It is easy to do and can prevent so many hassels should you come into contact with law enforcement for whatever reason. I don't carry proof of ownership for my long guns but lately, I've been thinking of doing so. It's easy to make a copy and really no hassel to do it plus like I've alredy said it can prevent headaches down the road.

Evey one stay alert and good luck to all those hunting this year.
ED
Yer never too old
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Modoc ED wrote:Mike D. -

As I stated in my last post, serial numbers for long gun (rifles, shotguns) purchases are not forwarded to DOJ -- only handguns.
As I think about it, Ed is right. I stand corrected - the handguns are the items that would come up on each individual. But even before we had the instant computer checks, I recall as a young Deputy Sheriff in the 70's that I could ask the Dispatcher to check via teletype and she could pull up a list of all handguns owned by a particular person.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It wouldn't surprise me that ALL states have that same info on every handgun buyer.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Livin in CA

Post by pwl44m »

Not trying to Run U off but Ca. requires U to register all your guns when U come into the State. @ $25 a pop that can get expensive. I can't leave, I have Grand Kids here. If it weren't for them I would have no prob leaving. Wher I would go I have no idea, kinda like Tx.
As far as Hunting and Fishing. Nor Cal Central Valley has it all. Sacramento River, Feather River, Yuba River, Sierras. Climate is Near Perfect. As far as rain goes, it hasn't done that in over 3 months here. U don't even have to speak Espanol where I live, but go to Marysville or Yuba City and it is a whole new world.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I hear Kalifornia is a beautiful state and long as your in the country....
or on the beach....
But I would not move there....visit yeah...but not live there...
State is broke anyway....
I would just take a long vacation and travel out there...and visit
as many places you like....and then decide....

I want to move to Montana.....
Fat chance my wife would put up with all that snow!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Re:

Post by donw »

handirifle wrote:Junior,They haven't really improved much either.

But seriously, there are a lot of good things going on in this state, but a lot of lunacy too. In Oregon, your property taxes will eat you alive. Here, it 1.5% MAX of your assessed property value. If you purchase a home, it's 1.5% of the purchase price, and it takes 2/3 of the voters for the state to add a new tax or raise the old one. Hasn't happened in over 25 years, so far.
these are under assault as we speak...the legislature wants to remove prop 13 that prevents property taxes from skyrocketing and make it simply a 'majority' vote NOT 2/3.

I've lived in so cal most of my adult life (came here from Oklahoma at 15 yrs of age with mom and dad)

I've watched this state become a haven for illegal immigrants, become a stronghold for the homosexual movement, watched as they worked feverishly to restrict gun owning rights and privileges; California is home to 1/8th of the nations population...nearly 35 million persons! and with an estimated near 3 million illegal immigrants.

my wife and i researched and visited places in Arizona, on a regular basis, with the idea of relocating there but have found they have so many ex-patriot California liberals it's getting nearly as bad there...AND they have some issues that are worse...such as water issues in the areas we considered most.

i suspect California may in the future, split...

the California state legislature passes some sort of anti-gun legislature each and every session...this latest is the ammo bill...they, for the biggest part, are in the stone age.

CCW in San Diego county? forget it...i went to apply and was told that even if i met all qualifications and passed all courses, paid all applicable fees, i could be turned down "just because"...most of the big city counties are NOT "shall issue" areas.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Deleted
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: this thread started on 9/25/‘07; the last post was on 10/6/‘07. And Paulyseggs -- the OP -- last posted on 6/03/‘09.

I think it might be a good idea to let it rest and save your time and effort?.…
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I will not even travel through CA! No way I would live there!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

buckeyeshooter wrote:I will not even travel through CA! No way I would live there!
That's OK, it leaves more room for me. :mrgreen:
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Consider Idaho or Montana--fewer people who might just be a tad more rational. I'd say Texas, but it's too full of Kommifornicans.

rimrock
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I worked in yosemite in 1960, then done my career in california from 1965 and moved here to utah in 2005. I have skimmed this thread and there are some here that dont know what they are talking about. California is unbelivably large. Its bigger probley than most countrys, and is more varied everything than any other state. Its a mistake to judge it by what you see on tv or by flying in to LA or frisco. Its a lot bigger than the citys that give it a bad rap. It has some of the finest scenery and weather anywhere. California is both heavily populated or more baron than most states. It does have bad politics and gun laws. It has far more than its share of the third world, liberals and such. Move to the boonies. Not that many of the above live there. I left because I retired and didnt like the area I done my career. The high dessert was too populated and hot. We almost moved to northern california near poortola where I had land, or susanville. Beautifull country there, however at the time things were too high to sute me, and we moved here to utah where things were a lot cheaper, gun laws are good and its wide open blm and spectacular scenery and our thing is exploring the trails with our atv. But I do miss northern california.
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Booger Bill...I'm still in CA, myself, in the foothills of Northern CA, and you're right, we have quite a diversity of climate zones. CA has the lowest spot, Death Valley, and the highest spot, Mount Whitney, in the lower 48. It also has the oldest known living thing in the world, a Great Basin Bristlecone Pine tree named Methuselah, around 4,750 years old, the tallest known living thing in the world, a Coast Redwood tree named Hyperion, and also the largest known single living thing in the world, a Giant Sequoia tree named General Sherman. It also recorded the highest one-month snowfall total in the nation, which was 32.5 feet in Tamarack in 1911, and the hottest recorded temperature in the Western Hemisphere, which was 134 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley in 1913.

Unfortunately, where we have been blessed with natural and even cultural diversity, we are cursed with illegal immigration and socialist-leaning legislators that push for every social program under the sun, overregulation and taxation that drives out businesses and jobs (and jacks up the cost of living), senseless gun laws, etc.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

There's certainly some spectacular stuff here, and I doubt I'd have done this much shooting and hunting if I lived elsewhere. I happen to have a two ranges within just a few miles and can go any day. I usually go 5-6 times a month, target, silhouette, or indoor. I can also hunt close by most of the time. I say 'most' because sometimes these areas are closed to pay homage to a recent fire or an endangered species of frog, but I'm talking in general. There are restrictions but at least I'm close enough so hunting doesn't have to be a once-a-year thing. I can go on a jaunt on a Sunday and be back home at night, which suits me.

Great views and scenery, I saw some in the Los Padres last week that have me thinking of going back with the view camera. It's very dry and you have to learn the ropes, like carrying water. Just this past week an esteemed film editor went hiking and died in the heat. I believe I've been close to that a couple of times. But they say hypothermia (cold) kills more hunters than anything else, not likely here.

I do miss deciduous trees and real forests, we mostly have scrub and bushes, a few oaks. I would like to have hunted back East but never took it up. There's restrictions back East, too, I'm from Ohio and understand you can't even hunt deer with a rifle there. I would like to try the South or maybe Kentucky but that will have to wait until my check comes in the mail without my having to punch in somewhere.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

this post is made on 10-01-2010:

there has been legislation introduced to register ALL long guns and shotguns in the state of California. i cannot cite the bill number and i don't know if it's been approved or not...

there has legislation introduced (and defeated) to ban "open carry" of a holstered, unloaded, handgun. one legislator, Lori Saldana, became so furious about an arrest made by the San Diego PD that they "blew" (they had to pay $35,000.00 for false arrest and now must train officers in "open carry" law)) she introduced that legislation.

legislation was introduced and passed and goes into effect Feb of 2011, to ban ammo sales of handgun ammo that's NOT face to face sales from a licensed dealer.

you can rest assured if Jerry Brown gets elected it WILL pass

a good source for keeping up with California's vast array of gun laws and pending legislation is www.calguns.net. they, along with the NRA, were instrumental in the "bullet button" change in the "assault weapons" here.

i suspect the state legislature is seeking revenge on the long guns because of the "bullet button" feature that circumvents the "assault weapon" feature of having a "detachable" magazine...as i have said before, i believe that most of California's legislators are stone age in their thinking...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re:

Post by stew71 »

jdad wrote: Eggsucker,
Ah yes, Chicago Park....an enclave for telecommuting techies. :lol: I do miss the smallmouth fishing at Rollins Lake, in Colfax.

'Cept now Rollins Lake is over run with water skiers and jet skis most of the time..... :evil:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

donw wrote:this post is made on 10-01-2010:

there has been legislation introduced to register ALL long guns and shotguns in the state of California. i cannot cite the bill number and i don't know if it's been approved or not...
This bill, AB 1810, thankfully died in the Senate. It'll probably come back again next session if Moonbeam is re-elected for Guv. AB 1934, to ban open carry, was also defeated on the Senate floor.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Mike D. wrote:
buckeyeshooter wrote:I will not even travel through CA! No way I would live there!
That's OK, it leaves more room for me. :mrgreen:

Mike, you are welcome to it.
If you ever make it out to the midwest we will feed you so good and take you huntin in the 'good spots' and you will be ruined for the laft coast :lol: