'76 Winchester 50 cal Sporting Rifle by Chaparral.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

'76 Winchester 50 cal Sporting Rifle by Chaparral.

Post by cshold »

Any of you guys have one of these?
What's the stats on the .50-95?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =100475035
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad to see these have finally made it to the market. I don't know the stats, but this one pegs the ol' "cool meter" at the red line! 8)

I purchased my Chaparral Arms 1876 in .45-60WCF from rmshd on gunbroker. Straight up fellow to work with, and he sells his stuff at the prevailing rate for the day.

I think you need to be the first from the leverguns.com family to have one of these! :D
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Glad to see these have finally made it to the market. I don't know the stats, but this one pegs the ol' "cool meter" at the red line! 8)

I purchased my Chaparral Arms 1876 in .45-60WCF from rmshd on gunbroker. Straight up fellow to work with, and he sells his stuff at the prevailing rate for the day.

I think you need to be the first from the leverguns.com family to have one of these! :D

Please don't tempt me Ysabel, I am feeling the need to buy a new toy. :D
I just checked out the Chaparral web sight.
They don't list the big .50-95 as a cal. option.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

casastahle wrote: Please don't tempt me Ysabel
Oh, yeah - that's goin' work. I figure you guys/this site are personally responsible for at least 3 leverguns I've picked up since joining. I'm just returning the favor!!! :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Only 3 Jay? I admire your self-control.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

this site is responsible for dozens of purchases since I joined. I think I have a problem :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I'm confused. If they don't have it on their web site, how can they be available from someone else ?
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Uberti is also producing the 1876 in 50-95. Those are now available from Cimarron Arms.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Buffalo Arms has them for around $1300 in 50-95. I would definately prefer the 22" barrel to the 28".

You could sure shoot a ton of lead in a hurry in one. But honestly, I believe the bullet of choice for this cartridge weighs only 350 gr. So you won't use up lead any faster than a 45-70 in a Marlin guide gun, or 1886 clone.

The learning curve issues Hobie has has with his 45-75 are probably just as steep in the 50-95, as they are both bottle-neck black powder cartridges.

It is a tempting short rifle for me.

Sean

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6916.html
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

It sure is pretty. 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

junkbug wrote:Buffalo Arms has them for around $1300 in 50-95. I would definately prefer the 22" barrel to the 28".

You could sure shoot a ton of lead in a hurry in one. But honestly, I believe the bullet of choice for this cartridge weighs only 350 gr. So you won't use up lead any faster than a 45-70 in a Marlin guide gun, or 1886 clone.

The learning curve issues Hobie has has with his 45-75 are probably just as steep in the 50-95, as they are both bottle-neck black powder cartridges.

It is a tempting short rifle for me.

Sean

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6916.html
Apparently there is quite a learning curve with them, perhaps more so than with the .45-75. Everything to get them shooting is more expensive, molds, dies... I'd like to take a 22 inch and make it a half-round barrel, button mag, shotgun butt gun. However, that project will have to wait in line.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Hobie, I'd love that configuration, but a 28" cut to 24", shotgun butt and 2/3's magazine clone of the Winchester 71 would also make me smile.

Now both, and I would smile 24/7!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Wow :!:
Went to G.B. to drull, and it's gone.
That was snatched up quick.
Not that I don't understand as to why. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:Only 3 Jay? I admire your self-control.
Only 3 or so that I hadn't planned on getting before I started. LG is the accomplis to many more than that!!! :wink:

(Gotta be careful with my son reading here now :shock:)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

casastahle , Looks like the auction expired without a bid. It will be relisted I bet!
I am in need of a new toy also. Maybe one of those would scratch my itch.
:D :D :D
EDITED !!
I had a PROBLEM and could not stop my finger from clicking on the
BUY NOW button so I guess it is gone now. :D :D :D
I promise to post pictures when it comes. Now to start looking for stuff to make it go bang.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =100755552
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

nice rifle
Last edited by WCF3030 on Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: I had a PROBLEM and could not stop my finger from clicking on the
I promise to post pictures when it comes. Now to start looking for stuff to make it go bang.

Ya might want to have that finger checked by a professional there, Chuck! Sounds like it could be getting you into all kinds of problems! :wink:

Congratulations! Old Sixgun Shorty will do right by ya! :)

Stop by here and visit with the posse of 76.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ,89.0.html
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:casastahle , Looks like the auction expired without a bid. It will be relisted I bet!
EDITED !!

What are friends for? Tell a guy it's been relisted, then tell him you couldn't help yourself. :lol:

Do yourself a huge favor first thing. Make a GOOD chamber cast and check it CLOSELY. A friend's Chaparral '76 28" rifle had a BAD!!!! chamber, 20+ thousandths off axis of the bore, plus when the reamer gouged the chamber wall they just ran it the rest of the way in. Left a nice 3/4 ring around the middle of the fired case.

Sent it, fired cases, and photos of the chamber cast back on Feb 7. 7 weeks later I received a 26" barreled rifle in return. Chaparral still hasn't been able to get a replacement 28" barrel for my buddy's rifle.

Last time I talked to Nick @ Chaparral he said a couple more weeks...maybe. Tomorrow will be two weeks and I'm not holding my breath.

I'll be interested in hearing how your caseforming goes.

Congrats on a pretty rifle.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yance, I sure hope it`s a good one. I have heard of Remington mod.700`s that were chambered soo far off that the neck area of the chamber had rifling in it. :shock: It seems that Quality problems are everywhere these days. I have bought several new rifles in the last couple years (mostly Marlins) and have had only one problem and that one only was brought out when shooting cast(oversize bore). Got my fingers crossed. :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:It seems that Quality problems are everywhere these days.
Ah yes, the joys of mass-produced, man-made items. :?

My job 5-6 days a week involves solving the messes that happen when things from factory new to 20+ years take a dump. Some of it is due to simple part failure, some of it due to poor assembly.

Unfortunately this is now the way of the world since the acceptable failure rate of products seems to have gone up and manufacturing procedures have gotten more lax. :cry:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:casastahle , Looks like the auction expired without a bid. It will be relisted I bet!
EDITED !!

Hummm me thinks I should get some sales commission
out of this. :wink:
Congratulations, and do post all about it when you have time.
:D [/b]
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Stuff to make it go "bang".

Post by Wayne Miller »

EDITED !!

Hey Chuck,

I have a brand new Lyman 350gr RNFP mold for this cartridge that I am not using. If you are interested, drop me a line. I originally bought it to use in my 56-50 Spencer, but am using a Rapine mold instead.

Wayne
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I thought it was THE 1st rule of "forum self-preservation", that; if you found something on one of the auction sites, you DIDN'T share that info unless you weren't interested!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

here is load data from mike venturino:

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_ ... W=&PM=&PT=

Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
314 NEI #510-300GC Goex FFg 80.0 1,494
Remarks: group (two 5 shot groups @ 100 yds.): 6.13 & 7.25
314 NEI #510-300GC Goex Cartridge 85.0 1,501
Remarks: group (two 5 shot groups @ 100 yds.): 5.25 & 5.75

and this is the express configuration that handles and balances well [this is my rifle]

these are really neat guns!!
cable
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

hfcable wrote:
and this is the express configuration that handles and balances well [this is my rifle]

Nice example, hfcable. By any chance did you pick that one up from Walter over at the Antique Gallery Gunroom?

Quyana cekneq, Neva
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:I thought it was THE 1st rule of "forum self-preservation", that; if you found something on one of the auction sites, you DIDN'T share that info unless you weren't interested!
And the second rule is to let every brother in the forum know about it
to eliminate a serious temptation. :D
(and also a severe beating from the boss :wink: )
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
hfcable wrote:

Nice example, hfcable. By any chance did you pick that one up from Walter over at the Antique Gallery Gunroom?
No, i dont deal with walter, too much of his stuff is not as advertised and he is not known for standing by what he sells; he has also been directly underhanded and deliberately dishonest and manipulative to me, and to several of my highly knowlegeable friends. you cannot trust his word on anything.
i fear for people who do business with him. his name is mud with most of the friends i have, including some who have written books on firearms.
cable
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

hfcable wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:
hfcable wrote:

No, i dont deal with walter, too much of his stuff is not as advertised and he is not known for standing by what he sells; he has also been directly underhanded and deliberately dishonest and manipulative to me, and to several of my highly knowlegeable friends. you cannot trust his word on anything.
i fear for people who do business with him. his name is mud with most of the friends i have, including some who have written books on firearms.
I hear ya! :lol:

Quyana cekneq, Neva
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I would be most careful buying anything with Chapparral Arms on it. The qualiity of these guns is highly suspect and they have no idea of what constitutes proper bore diameter. I have had 38-40's with bores up to 403. The parts are mismatched and it seems the guns are intended more for show than go. I gave up on them a long time ago.