My 357 mag journey

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

My 357 mag journey

Post by wvfarrier »

We are about 2.5 months out from deer and bear season. I believe I am only going to use my Win 92 in 357 mag for all firearm seasons this year. Its been quite a while since I have hunted with a firearm, I typically bow hunt through all the seasons. Ive taken quite a few deer, coyote, and turkey with it in the past but this year I plan to use it on black bear as well. My load for this go will be a Montana Bulletworks 160 grain hard cast gas chec LFN. I tried out several different powders and found Win 296 gave me the best accuracy and velocity combo, followed closely by Lil Gun. Im getting an average of 1791 from a 20" barrel with an sd of 28. I tried a couple loads pushing a little hotter (think Buffalo Bore) but the accuracy fell off pretty quick. Im a smidge over "pistol max" but dont have any pressure signs with this load, at .2 over this extraction got a little sticky but no primer signs. My groups average 1.25" at 50 yards which is about as good as I can do with buckhorns. I will, hopefully, have some post hunting pics in a few weeks ;-)
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: My 357 mag journey

Post by AJMD429 »

357 Mag with hardcast and accurately placed will do nicely for whitetail. Sounds like you have the recipe.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have previously used the 180 XTP and the Ranch Dog 190s but I wanna see if the extra velocity pays off.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use both 296 and L'iL Gun. 296 runs a little cooler. In my .480 Ruger, L'iL Gun gives the better accuracy out of my Super Redhawk, but 296 gives better accuracy out of my rifle. Funny, but 4227 is just as accurate and just as fast as 296 out of the rifle. Of course, you know that your guns may have different results. For the max loads, I have better results with magnum primers. Maybe Scott T or Cowboy Tutt have better information.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

wvfarrier wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:45 pm I have previously used the 180 XTP and the Ranch Dog 190s but I wanna see if the extra velocity pays off.
Trajectory or effectivness? My feelings are a 180XTP probably doesnt get improved on by hardcast on medium game, but I'd be interested to learn otherwise.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Mic built a Marlin 94 for me some years ago and it was modified to use .357 cases with the 180 gr Hornady XTP crimped in the lower cannelure. He also adjusted to give me tight headspace. I loaded it hotter than a wood stove with Lil-Gun and it shot like we all wish a rifle would. Killed way out of proportion to what I thought a .357 was capable of. I never recovered a bullet from a deer or hog, but the wound channels were impressive. A lot like you would see from a .30-30.

The truth is that you really don't need to push that hard and still get excellent performance in a .357. These days I shoot a lot more 2400 and I don't load to the gills. The 180 gr XTP is still a great performer. And I use small rifle primers if that matters to you.

You sound like you are on track and I would not hesitate using your loads in a rifle that I was shooting well.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I use the Ranch Dog 190 and H110 in a Marlin 1894C. It is accurate and Texas whitetails don't like it.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The meplat measure .300 so its pretty stout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I'm sure that'll do the trick.

For me, sticky extraction is enough to make me back down until it goes away. A few feet per second isn't worth trying to find a new extractor for an out-of-production rifle.

Good luck with the hunting!

Cat