Using a Lead Sled

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Using a Lead Sled

Post by TraderVic »

I received one of these as a gift several years ago, I suspect it was because my right shoulder has seen better days (and a rotator cuf surgery). Anyway, I need to work up a new hunting load in my Marlin 45/70 as my current load is a bit "warm".
I've read comments about these 'sleds' that suggest they put more pressure on the stock because there is no "give" as there is with a shoulder, and can cause a crack in the stock.
Do any of you use one of these ? Is this concept a possibility?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Using a Lead Sled

Post by Bronco »

I have one! I have also read the same thing ! What I found out upon further investigating this is that some people would put a 100 pounds of lead shot on them in trying to eliminate the recoil. Soooo when I was working up hot loads for my 50-110 I only put 25# of lead on it to just tame the recoil. I never cracked a stock. But that is just my experience.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Bronco wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:32 am I have one! I have also read the same thing ! What I found out upon further investigating this is that some people would put a 100 pounds of lead shot on them in trying to eliminate the recoil. Soooo when I was working up hot loads for my 50-110 I only put 25# of lead on it to just tame the recoil. I never cracked a stock. But that is just my experience.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'd use more than the 25 lbs you have, certainly not 100 lbs.
I am only looking to reduce (not eliminate) felt recoil as I work up a new load or two.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I used mine with a 870 express to try different slug loads with no problems. I only put a bit of ammo on it for weight though. It was annoying with boxes of ammo bouncing at every shot. I've used rifles with it bare.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

We have 3 that we loan out at our gunclub. Most people don't use any weight and it still takes out much of the recoil. They weigh about 7-10 lbs.
A 25 lb barbell weight fits in it perfect, or a couple sandbags. I've never heard of a stock getting cracked. It does add an inch or so to the stock length when the rifle sits in it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I made one with scraps, and later on bought one of the commercial models. I rarely use weight, but do like the 'butt-cuff' ( :shock: ) because it positions the gun the same way each time by keeping it from sliding fore and aft. I suppose it absorbs some recoil, but I pull the gun firmly to the shoulder, so I doubt it really absorbs much, especially without weights.

My 'lead-sled' writeups - I mostly intended to make a 'levergun rest' because most rests require repositioning the gun to work the lever, and I wanted more clearance. The extra clearance also makes it easier to use pistol-grip guns like AR-15's or using longer magazines in those guns or 10/22's or whatever. Cost for the various hardware trinkets was under $50.

Definitely worth having a 'lead-sled' type rest, either store-bought or home-made...!

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=47960
https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=32821

Here's a couple pics from the threads above:

Weight Tray doubles for holding loose cartridges, tools, etc.

With or without tray, Rest Allows Lever Use without moving gun...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for posting those links, doc. I had missed this build. So nice to be able to work the lever in that rest.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've had very little experience using a lead sled but I will say it does make a difference when shooting big kickers like 12 ga slugs!
Looks like a good design ya got there Doc!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Great looking design, wanna trade ?