Switched gun clubs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Switched gun clubs

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm finally rejoining my old gun club again after some years of belonging to another range. I switched years ago when the old club was in turmoil, and I got tired of it. But the new club turned out to be a disappointment as they wouldn't allow me to shoot my old single shot rifles at their 600 yd. range because they said I had to elevate the muzzle too high to shoot 600 yds. Just ridiculous, and I was stuck not being able to shoot past 300 yds.
So I'm headed out to my old club for "re-orientation" today, and excited to be back there! They have a 1000 yd. range there, and no restriction on what you can shoot there as long as it's not .50 BMG, which I never owned.
I still have friends that shoot there, so it will be nice to get together with them and shoot. The club sets aside every Thu. each week as "long range day" as some outside ranges get closed for safety when guys shoot the longer distance range.
I'll be taking a couple old rifles along, as they told me we can shoot as soon as the orientation is over. But just the shorter 250 yd. and 100 yd. ranges today. Haven't been out shooting in several months, while waiting for this to get approved.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Switched gun clubs

Post by jdad »

Yes, TCGC has gotten very tight on the rules.....almost to the point of being ridiculous. Raising a muzzle above parallel to the ground is one of those rules that there is no gray area even when physics is explained. I was politely admonished for being more than an arms distance from a shooter when they were on the line, but they hadn't even finished loading rounds into their magazine. They are doing everything possible to prevent liability, from stray rounds leaving the property, to idiots sweeping other shooters. I guess it had to happen with the membership now at 6,000. When I joined about 20 years ago there was only 2,000.

They seem to be turning the range into a tactical "country club", with a new "members" center, manufacturers demos and seminars, tactical/defensive training seminars, increasing the amount of tactical pits, free FFL transfers, etc.

Here's the club rules if anyone interested. https://tcgc.org/the-club/safety-and-range-rules/

It's 6 miles from my house, so it works for me and what I do. I definitely understand your frustration.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

tempted to say good move, but i am glad you got it sorted
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Can't shoot 600 yards??? What's on the other side of the backstop, a major city or something??? Congratulations on your move! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:35 pm Can't shoot 600 yards??? What's on the other side of the backstop, a major city or something??? Congratulations on your move! -Tutt
Yes, the club is on a Federal Wildlife Preserve and is now surrounded by residential development.

Just Google Earth "Tri County Gun Club, Sherwood, OR" for a better look
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, with 6 K members, I hope they can find the money to build a taller backstop or berm!!! As MM did, time to leave!!! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, the 300 yd. limit was only because I shoot BPCR type rifles. Those shooting high power bolt actions have no such restrictions. So even more ridiculous! As jdad mentioned the long list of rules imposed on members kept me always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just never knew when something that was safe elsewhere, might mean I'd get a call from a RSO to tell me they'd seen me break some safety rule on their video cameras?
So today was grueling, with a 4 hour orientation, that started with 2 hrs. in the clubhouse, then 1.5 hrs. walking the range, which takes about 2.5-3 miles of walking! And then followed by waiting to get our picture taken, and badge issued.
Then I found out I have to do a "long range" orientation also, in order to be approved to shoot that discipline here! Fortunately they told me it's just a quick 15 minutes of how to conduct yourself when posting targets, etc., while using the 1,000 yd. range. I could tell the people running things think everybody is a wannabe sniper. They kept referring to Palma match shooting, and high power calibers. I finally told them my old single shots have a 60 ft. high arc on the way to 1,000 yds., and they realized I didn't care about high power bolt action rifle shooting.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, and I thought Commiefornia was bad! We do have restrictive ammo buying laws. You have to have bought a firearm in the last 5 years to get into the ammo buying data base. In order to do that I had to pass another stupid gun test, which was not hard, and they issue you a card for 5 years. Your DL information and home data for a gun purchase need to match up perfectly or will be rejected for either a gun or ammo purchase if the data is not consistent. Just got all of that done again recently. I handload and haven't bought ammo in many years nor a gun until my recent LAPD commemorative shotgun purchase. I'm sorry your old gun club is so hard on you. Even the Angeles Shooting Range is not like that.

https://www.angelesshooting.com/become-a-member/

Would be nice to shoot with you some day MM. I don't shoot BP, but smokeless equivalents. Its not this way in Cortez or Hotchkiss, CO where I am back to visiting either. Plan to go back there next Spring Break. How would you like to shoot 1538 yards with people who want to get you on target??? And no orientation or walking required. :D

-Tutt or Andy

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Well, even if do live in a purple county, Wyoming laws are awesome when it comes to guns. Our gun club is great on what you can shoot. Dang near anything! Doesn't hurt that I'm the Rangemaster! We allow anything including 50 cal. Full auto is allowed. Belt feds or mags. I had a guy wanting to bring a Ma deuce. Only restriction is no incendiary or armor piercing and no magnums on the pistol bay steel. AR 500 steel gets expensive.
We're located in a canyon. Our rifle bay backstop is a mountain about 800' high. I love this job.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm

Would be nice to shoot with you some day MM. I don't shoot BP, but smokeless equivalents. Its not this way in Cortez or Hotchkiss, CO where I am back to visiting either. Plan to go back there next Spring Break. How would you like to shoot 1538 yards with people who want to get you on target??? And no orientation or walking required. :D

-Tutt or Andy
I don't shoot BP either, but may be giving it a try soon. I've always loaded my old guns with smokeless at around 1350 fps levels. When shooting in BPCR I am only shooting for fun as using smokeless disqualifies me for any awards. But that's never bothered me, so I just don't worry about it. But occasionally a match is stricter, and they wont even let you shoot if you're not shooting BP, so I may have to give in, and start loading it.
Most of my friends at the range shoot theirs with BP, so I can get some pointers for switching to it. Been reloading for over 40 years, and the only BP I ever shot was in my muzzleloaders.

I have never shot 1500 yds., and not sure where I'd go to do so? I've only been shooting further than 500 yds. for about 5 years now. I started because a friend had his property setup to shoot up to 1000 yds. and invited me to join a group of friends each year to shoot there. I wasn't planning on shooting out that far as he had plates at many closer distances. But within 15-20 minutes of starting to shoot he was urging me to try a farther gong, and coaching me how to set my sights. In a short time I got the first strikes, and after that you're hooked.
I've done some competitive shooting, but nothing was as much fun as old single shot rifles at long range.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have never shot 1500 yds., and not sure where I'd go to do so?
Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility in Hotchkiss, CO is still active. :D

https://gunblast.com/AndyTuttle_FOBD.htm

-Tutt

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Probably further than I'd care to drive to go shooting.