Elmer Blows Up Another SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Elmer Blows Up Another SAA

Post by CowboyTutt »

I certainly appreciate the works of Elmer Keith and what he did. I would have to say that I think Dick Casull took it to another level however. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just my opinion. The .44 Mag is more powerful than a casual shooter wants to deal with. The .454 Casull is more powerful than a casual shooter can deal with. The type of members we have on here are much better than casual.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The thought that occurred to me reading thru the thread, is that 1, Keith was born when? meaning he was raised up by the survivors of the war of fraternal aggression, perhaps Quantrill's raiders, who seemed to have wild disregard for 'GUN RANGE' etiquette and 'rules' of any sort perhaps.

and b. it was Bill Ruger who mastered the bigger cartridges and tamed the magnums into machines that didn't shoot themselves in the crane or blow their tops off very often. so that i could go deer hunting with a 44 sbh loaded with something that might have disassembled a Walker, and reliably shoot it every day like it was supposed to.

and 3. it was further development that required the use of 5-shot cylinders to handle the pressures that would disassemble a redhawk. and this is a long long way down the road from where Keith started.

I reserve 'reverence' to Jesus of Nazareth, Son of God, Emmanuel
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:47 am And yet people revere Elmer like he was some sort of God? I have his books, and enjoy reading them. But I never got the reverence to such a high level that I saw from so many. He was an experimenter, and often those experiments didn't seem well thought out to me?
I agree. I have several of his books and enjoy reading them, but to me it's pretty obvious he liked the either stretch the truth a great deal or leave out a number of facts.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Not a god, just what's called larger than life. The kind of people held in low esteem in some quarters these days. Too bad, when they're all gone we all will be a little smaller.
The Walkers are on your horse.