Yay or Nay

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Yay or Nay

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My son brought over the family heirloom, a '94 chambered in .32 Spec. My Grandfather bought it new. I am guessing sometime pre WWII as it has a serial # 1183XXX. Other than deer hunting once a year, the rifle has not been used.

It went from my Grandfather, to my Father, to me, and then I gave it to my oldest son. He has used it for the past 8 years or so and other than an annual surface cleaning, it has not seen any maintenance. But, during our hunt this year we were subject to a heavy, wet snow and instead of using a hard case, he used a soft case as he transported it through the woods on his ATV. Needless to say, as we were packing up at the end of hunting, I noticed the soggy case. When I pulled the rifle out and inspected it, two things caught my eye, a couple of small rust spots around the front edge of the forward hand grip and the finish of the stock appeared to have worn off allowing the moisture to soak into the wood.

So, I have decided to tear it down and give it a thorough cleaning.

My question is, should I completely refinish the furniture. Strip and refinish? Or just put a coat of wax on it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Yay or Nay

Post by 765x53 »

Rub in some linseed oil and wipe it off. You're good.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I say nay to a stripping. I prefer that a gun look its age. Other than the belly area of the buttstock, I dont think it looks too bad. But I'm not holding it either. That said, it appears that the red toner or stain that Winchester used in their finishes has leached out of some areas and settled into others. What I have done to improve small areas like that it to use a Minwax stain pen (Its like a magic marker) to color the light spots to match the darker areas. It's a pain and takes some practice but I still have the original finish.
Since its staying in the family, there ain't a durn thing wrong with refinishing either if that's what they want. You can't hurt its sentimental value. Good luck.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Turpentine, Linseed oil and water as hot as double gloved hands can stand it. Scrub with a terry or jute cloth. Let dry. Won’t take off any finish but will take decades of grime off and rejuvenate unprotected wood.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What's with these cases in the picture?
Screenshot_20220108-174258.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Tycer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:29 pm Turpentine, Linseed oil and water as hot as double gloved hands can stand it. Scrub with a terry or jute cloth. Let dry. Won’t take off any finish but will take decades of grime off and rejuvenate unprotected wood.
+1
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:44 pm ...
What's with these cases in the picture?Screenshot_20220108-174258.png
Misaligned turret press.... thought my grandson had a handle on it but he left some debris in the shell holder.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Tycer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:29 pm Turpentine, Linseed oil and water as hot as double gloved hands can stand it. Scrub with a terry or jute cloth. Let dry. Won’t take off any finish but will take decades of grime off and rejuvenate unprotected wood.
How about Murphy's oil soap and hot water, then wipe off with denatured alcohol. Allow to dry and then linseed oil....or would tung oil be better?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Old Time Hunter wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:01 pm
How about Murphy's oil soap and hot water, then wipe off with denatured alcohol. Allow to dry and then linseed oil....or would tung oil be better?
I learned that recipe here years ago. Maybe KirkD? Maybe TERRY. I don’t remember. It’s the only thing I use on old wood that’s not finished in shellac. I don’t care much for Murphy’s as it lifts broken poly on wood floors and leaves an odd residue on some ( not all) things.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com