Anyone have or has heard of issues w/ The new King Cobra?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone have or has heard of issues w/ The new King Cobra?

Post by 2ndovc »

I was looking at the new 3" King Cobra, .357 at the local shop the other day and was really taken with how it felt in my hand and the surprisingly good trigger.
I mentioned to my dad that I was probably going to buy one and he said that his gunsmith has sent back a few with timing issues. I can't find a single article on the 'net about issues with the new ones and was wondering if any of you guys had one that was problematic or heard of said problems?

This is the critter in question;

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone have or has heard of issues w/ The new King Cobra?

Post by CowboyTutt »

I saw a You Tube video that compared the original to the new one. They concluded that the new one was an improvement. -A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like them a lot myself. The perfect carry revolver in terms of size and weight. I think from what I've read they have a pretty solid reputation. Any issues I read of were very early in production.
The only one that comes to mind was if the ejector was vigorously depressed, the knurled section would stick in the crane. This was due to the surface expanding during the knurling process. It was an easy fix, and I think it has been factory remedied now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I checked out a new King Cobra last month. I think they wanted $850.00.
It felt pretty good in my hand.
If I didn't see the mint 1967 S&W model 10-5 behind the glass, I probably would have picked up the Colt.
Johnny
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Its my understanding it was the first run of the new pythons that had the issues.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks guys!
OldWin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:10 pm I like them a lot myself. The perfect carry revolver in terms of size and weight. I think from what I've read they have a pretty solid reputation. Any issues I read of were very early in production.
The only one that comes to mind was if the ejector was vigorously depressed, the knurled section would stick in the crane. This was due to the surface expanding during the knurling process. It was an easy fix, and I think it has been factory remedied now.
Nailed it!

I altered my search a bit and found pretty much the same info. My dad's friend is an older guy, and I don't think he remembers the details of some things as well as he used to. My dad also tends to miss a lot, even with the new hearing aids. :shock:

Hickok45 reviewed an early one and had no problems. Also seemed to be quite taken with it. I'll have to get one and see for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E15nHyhkkk

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've heard nothing but good reports on this revolver.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I should know better by now than to worry about what "someone" said about "something" they heard!

I'll pick one up soon.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

2ndovc wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:56 am Thanks guys!
OldWin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:10 pm I like them a lot myself. The perfect carry revolver in terms of size and weight. I think from what I've read they have a pretty solid reputation. Any issues I read of were very early in production.
Nailed it!

I altered my search a bit and found pretty much the same info. My dad's friend is an older guy, and I don't think he remembers the details of some things as well as he used to. My dad also tends to miss a lot, even with the new hearing aids. :shock:

Hickok45 reviewed an early one and had no problems. Also seemed to be quite taken with it. I'll have to get one and see for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E15nHyhkkk

jb 8)
Thank you Jason. I'd like one of these myself.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

The trigger guard looks a little strange to me. I guess it's for us northern boys for shooting with gloves on.
I wish Colt would make a few more of their revolvers in blue.
Johnny
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Agree with you about the blued revolvers. I'm a big fan of that deep, dark blue finish. I'd pay a little extra for that.

jb 8)

Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

I had a new one for a couple months, but then ran into my 1873. I really, really liked it but I had to have some trade material. Gave it back NIB. Hope to get a chance at another. Never held a CC revolver I liked better.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That’s looks both handy and shootable
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I posted this on another forum but it is appropriate here as to how much I like the new King Cobra.
I waited 2 years for a 3" KC to be in stock as I was looking for a Colt to replace my Charter Arms 44Spl backpack/hiking gun that I take out to Wyoming and Montana. Wanted 3" fixed sights for the light weight and hard knocks this gun would take. Bought the KC in July 2021, then in late August I went out west for 6 weeks. During that time I put the KC through its paces. Temperatures ranged from 94 degrees to 20 degrees. Weather from hot and sunny and dusty to rain to freezing rain to snow (of course, the freezing rain then snow occurred during the backpacking part in the Medicine Bow mountains!). I shot full house 357s, very heavy 357 "bear" reloads, factory 38 spls, and reloaded mild loads in 38 Long Colt cases. During the entire 6 weeks I NEVER cleaned the gun, not even the cylinder chambers or the star as I wanted a torture test. I do not have the round count but it was in the hundreds. I wanted to try out a Lyman 310 tong tool and after running out of 38LC loads (so fun to plink with) I reloaded for it during the truck camping phase up in the Beartooth Mountains:
9-04-21k.JPG
The verdict? RAN FLAWLESSLY. Zero issues. Fit and finish is excellent, reliability of cycling, firing, ejecting was 100% without any cleaning, point of impact was very close to point of aim with most ammunition, certainly close enough with the heavy loads (the ones I would most need) and the light plinking 38LC loads (the ones I shoot the most). After a good cleaning at home I found the cylinder gap did not increase from when it was new. The grips fit perfectly and especially during the cold weather shooting allowed a really good grip in the hand. I am a Colt guy, still my Charter Arms Pug has been a constant friend and backpack companion since 1991 (it weighs only 21 ounces!) but is now being sold to a friend that wants it. The KC weighs in a bit heavier at 26 ounces but I gain an extra shot, plus at my age the monster backpack trips are unfortunately behind me so the few extra ounces does not matter to me now . If lost or stolen, I would without any reservation immediately buy another. I too heard of horror stories but if you truly are interested go look one over very good at your gun store and ask if you can dryfire it. Check out the cylinder lock up and the crane fit....all the usual tests you can do while at the store. Lemons do get out, but I will tell you mine is a gem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thank you for posting that!! It's exactly what I wanted to know.

I hit a couple of shops today, none in stock. Heading to a show tomorrow, might get lucky there.
If not, I can order one.
I did handle one about a month ago, that's what started this whole thing. I was really taken by the feel of it and the action/ trigger especially.
My dad's been wanting a KC Target to go with his Python and Trooper collection, that's when the question came up about "Issues" and what his gunsmith said. Like I said above though, he's an older guy and I don't think he realizes we're talking about the current King Cobras.

jb 8)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's a great post coyote nose, jb I hope you get one real soon..... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.