rossi twist and heavy bullets in 44 cal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

rossi twist and heavy bullets in 44 cal

Post by mickbr »

Just wondered what the consensus is for heavy (or long)44 bullets in Rossi's 1:30 twist? At lower velocities , say subsonic to 1200fps range, will the various 240 JHP and cast bullets stabilise? What about 300 grain XTP at any velocity?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: rossi twist and heavy bullets in 44 cal

Post by GunnyMack »

Though I don't have a Rossi, my 1969 Ruger Carbine shoots 300XTP ok its definitely better with 240s. I believe the Ruger twist is 1:38. If that's indeed true, the 1:30 is a bit faster and may be ok with 300s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I never owned a Ruger semi automatic 44 Magnum but the 77/44 and 96/44 are 1:20 twist. Keep in mind that the shape of the bullet which determines the length of the bullet is actually more important than the weight per se.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Very true Doc, the faster twist in 44s were changed more recently. My carbine was like new when I got my mitts on it. Kind of a safe queen but its a good shooter.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My main bullet for the Redhawk 44 revolver is a 300 grain LBT long-flatnose gas-checked bullet. I was anticipating great things with this bullet out of the Rossi levergun when I acquired the rifle a few years ago. Disappointment! It shoots OK at 50 yards but accuracy goes to poop by 100. I don't seem to have any sideways bullets or even much tilted ones but just disappointing accuracy. I have a 250 grain bullet round-flatnose-gc I now use for the rifle but have never shot anything subsonic so can't help with experience there.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I was about to hold my nose and get a Henry Big Boy Steel 44, for the faster twist. But I handled a tube loader and disliked the matchbook-striker finish on the receiver flats, along with the checkered stock. The finish I can improve but there ain't enough wood there to remove the checkering.

I've had pretty fair luck with three Rossi 92s. but have never owned one in 44 magnum. My 45 Colts definitely shot better with .454 lead bullets, though they were plenty accurate with Hornady XTPs.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

From impractical standpoint for hunting, if you're using a 44 Magnum and think of it as a "hundred yard gun" (or whatever your personal decision is) on range, if the bullet is starting to destabilize, and groups open up a little bit, as long as they are within 'reasonable hunting accuracy' that shouldn't matter too much, and we're always saying we want a 'wide meplat' and a combination of penetration with expansion for a big wound channel, so.......

...... even though it makes us cringe to think about it, is a sideways traveling 300 grain hard cast lead bullet not meeting those needs pretty well...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "