Ruger Red Label 20 ga

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger Red Label 20 ga

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm not much of a shotgun guy, though I do enjoy a good dove hunt.

I've been offered a Ruger Red Label 20 ga choked imp cy/modified and it appears to fit me perfectly. I think it is an older gun with a blued reciever.

Do any of you shotgunners have any experience or opinions about the Ruger offering? I wanted one when they first came out, but did not have the coin.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Red Label 20 ga

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott, yes thats an older gun. They are very good, I have a 28 ga with choke tubes. Ive shot it at skeet, trap, sporting clays and of course for pheasants. If I was in your shoes I would have paid for already!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

No experience with them but always wanted one back when they came out. Like you, I just couldn't afford it. Like to hear your thoughts and opinion if you do decide to buy it.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

IMHO not Citori but darned nice shotguns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Does $1200 sound about right? Spotless bores and the blue is intact without any wear areas. A few handling scratches on the bottom of the buttstock, but nothing unusual.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If you can get it for $700 or less grab it. $800 or so for one with choke tubes. Very durable and fairly lightweight. Passed up one for $750 last summer. Hanks for reminding me of my bad decision ! :P todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

The cheapest one on GI is $1595, so 1200 sounds bout right to me. I would probly pay 1k being a skinflint. I had one for a short while but it was the Anniversary model, engraved, gold etc. Too nice to shoot, plus I was into it cheap so it went. Still would love a shooter.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I always thought it strange that the Red Label was first released in 20 gauge . I’ve shot many of them but never owned one blues or stainless . My old skeet two man team partner had two of them at one point . Both blued and 20 gauge . One was 26” IC/M the other was 26” S&S with Briley full length insert tubes for 28 and 410 . The times I shot his tubes gun I always did very well . Have another friend that has several stainless Red Labels in 20 and 28 gauge . While I don’t need them I wouldn’t mind a 20 and a 28 gauge with the straight grip stocks . We had three of the Red Labels in the shop for sale recently a 12 gauge 26” straight grip that went for $1500 , a LNIB 12 gauge 28” with screw ins that brought if memory serves $1800 and finally a 20 gauge 26” blued S&S that’s also LNIB for 2K . All consignment stuff .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I was loaned a blued one for dove season back around '98, I took a liking to it. Light and handy, for an American gun anyhow. I'm a lousy wingshooter, so it was choked a little tight for me, did a lot better on the longer shots than the close stuff. I remember it having an automatic safety, that kinda threw me off when things were moving fast.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott, I'd say 1200 is a fair price , might be a bit inflated but well worth it. The Red Label is a bit clunky compared to others but it, like most Ruger stuff is a workhorse.
Ruger followed the lead of Winchester, the model 12 was also only 20 ga at first as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I really wish their side by side shotgun had become successful.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:19 am I really wish their side by side shotgun had become successful.
And in all gauges!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

If you like it and can afford it, get it. Ruger hasn’t made shotguns for awhile. The 20 is definitely a lot less chunky than the twelve and is what the Red Label was designed around. Selectable barrels in IC and M will do about anything you would want to do with 20 double in the field. I’ve seen many of the SS receivers but rarely have seen the early blue ones. First one I saw was about 1982 around the age of twelve. I loved it, but had to settle for an Ithaca M66.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

That is a quality shotgun at a fair price, anything else of that quality will probably cost more. A quick check on gunsamerica , and you're doing good. .I have a blued version w / scew-in chokes, and think it's great.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I have a 28 ga. Red Label that I like for upland hunting, but use it only when I'm not going to be a lot of hiking. Almost all Rugers are what the Brits call "heavy for guage" because they are "a bit overbuilt". They last, but will you? For long hunts I use my old Beretta 685 20 ga O/U because it's a pound lighter, partly because it has one of those "pallet wood" stocks that Beretta used to put on their lowest field grade guns. The birds can't tell the difference, I think.

Also have a Gold Label SxS that my rich brother gave me for a retirement present. It has a pistol-gripped stock because he knows I shoot those better than the "English" stocks. Unlike most Rugers, it is, if anything, "light for guage" and a real bird killer if you need a 12.

Can't figure out why they made it with 3" chambers because she sure backs up with those magnums! I stick to 2 3/4" "heavy trap" loads for upland, and they kill birds, but not my shoulder....
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks guys!