Marlin 308 MX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Marlin 308 MX

Post by Old Savage »

What are your thoughts fellows?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I'm thinking about getting a blued one.
Well done is better than well said.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What do I think? Well, I think I wish I lived in a state where there were folks who actually took their lever guns to the range and shot them. Then I could try some different guns out.

My only concern is will this gun / cartridge combo end up like the Win 94 BB and the 307 Winchester?
The 307 Win is the parent cartridge of the 308 MX, so in a way it's nothing new. Winchester couldn't keep it going, so why does Marlin think they can? That would be my worry.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:What do I think? Well, I think I wish I lived in a state where there were folks who actually took their lever guns to the range and shot them. Then I could try some different guns out.

My only concern is will this gun / cartridge combo end up like the Win 94 BB and the 307 Winchester?
The 307 Win is the parent cartridge of the 308 MX, so in a way it's nothing new. Winchester couldn't keep it going, so why does Marlin think they can? That would be my worry.

Joe

Whats to worry about?
Win discontinued the 307 & now theyre worth a nice dollar, certainly more than if there was a million of them.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Joe, a reloader can keep anything going. Having a parent case is an advantage.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 308 MX is one of those Leverevolution pointy rounds isn't it? From all I've read you can't duplicate the factory load with existing components. You end up with a heavy loaded 30-30 basically.

I see nothing wrong with it, other than this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be OK, I don't think the 30-30 could reach the ballistics that normal reloading components would even without the pointy bullets and special powder.

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

The .308 Marlin Express using the LeveRevolution ammo is a very surprising and interesting cartridge.
The Marlin 308MX rifle seems to have its working parts fitted together with just a little more care. My 22â€
Slim
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Is the 307 really a parent cartrige or just a similar one? I thought the cases entirely different but dont have 307's to compare to.

I only just started tinkering with loads in mine.
Acording to published data I can aproach 2600 fps with 335 & a 150 grain bullet. How close I just dont know.
I do know that starting loads chrony'd over 2400 fps from my 22" MX.
Thats over max in any 30/30 I have. To be honest thats moot anyway to me. Its just an interesting thing to play with.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I have a brand new 308 MX just sitting in the gun vault, it was one of the first shipped from the factory. 10 boxes of Hornady ammo just sitting there, and I havn't even bothered to load the gun, go out back, and blast away. I'm going to see a counselor soon, or a psychiatrist, or just go see the local rabbi or priest, and try to find out how this happened to me. No one to go shoot with is probably the trouble, but here in Kansas where I live, we're short on a lot of things, but not that darned wind.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have shot mine a lot with both LE ammo and handloads.
Varget seems to be the powder for 150 gr. jacketed bullets. I will be shooting more cast loads using Varget and the Ranch Dog 165 (173gr) bullet this weekend. I have even shot 150 gr cast over Trail Boss to get a couple one ragged hole groups at 50yd with a plinking load. FUN!! :D
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Leverdude wrote:Is the 307 really a parent cartrige or just a similar one? I thought the cases entirely different but dont have 307's to compare to..
Yes, it is. Taylor started a thread on this.
In the .307 Winchester thread I have mixed quite a bit of .308 Marlin Express load data as we compared it to the .307.

Making .308 Marlin brass

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... in+express

.307 Loading thread

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm ... in+express
Slim
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

ImageImage
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

"william iorg"-The .308 Marlin Express using the LeveRevolution ammo is a very surprising and interesting cartridge.
The Marlin 308MX rifle seems to have its working parts fitted together with just a little more care. My 22cents
I own the 308MX & 308MXLR and both are exceptional in the internal fit and finish(this is to prevent binding due to the high performance(pressure expanded cases)LE Ammo.Both rifles will shoot sub moa at 100 yards.The above target is testament. :P
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Re:

Post by Leverdude »

Jaguarundi wrote:ImageImage
Thanks Jaguarundi!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 308 MX

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have thought about it, and thought about it, tried to talk myself into it, and still can't. The fact I still keep coming back to is that I can't equal factory ballistics with my handloads.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.