Marlin vs Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin vs Winchester

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a Marlin 336ER and a Winchester 1894AE, both in .356Win, both have 20" barrels. I feed them the same ammo and in line with my skills, they shoot the same.

The Marlin is a heavy gun, it just weighs more. Add to that I've laid a 4x scope on top. I am simply no longer able to carry this rifle walking in the woods, all day long.

The Winchester is much lighter. It has a slimmer profile and I've set it up with a ghost-ring rear and blade front sight.

The Marlin was my go-to gun for many years. When I know I'm going to be sitting in a stand, it still is. It's a DRT killer.

When I'm going to stalking or still-hunting, I pick up the Winchester. It's light, shoulders easily, gets on target fast, and nails critters to the ground.

I usually take them both hunting. One is back-up for the other.

Neither one is "best". Both are my favorites.

I just use them according to what my immediate hunting requirement might be.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Where 'fit' probably matters most is 'snap-shooting' like one might do for self-defense in a pinch, or some types of hunting, where muscle-memory overrides any recent training (or lack thereof). Doubt it matters much in the deer stand, off the bench, or formal target shooting with handguns.

With a handgun, if I can set the unloaded gun down in front of me, close my eyes, and then rapidly pick it up and 'draw down on something' with eyes still closed, then open my eyes and find the sights aligned, I am going to be pretty confident in that gun for CCW, assuming it functions well and is in an appropriate chambering.

Not being military/police or doing enough 'action' shooting with rifle, carbine, or shotgun, I can't comment on to what degree 'fit' would matter for me with a long gun, although it does seem the competitive shotgunners often go to fairly great lengths to assure 'fit'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I prefer Winchester over Marlin .My 2 favourite winchesters are my 1895 carbine in 30/06 and my Browning 1886 copy in 45/70