Man with CCW stops an active shooter ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Man with CCW stops an active shooter ...

Post by JimT »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Man with CCW stops an active shooter ...

Post by AJMD429 »

....but the armed citizen was a BAD GUY....he was carrying a gun in a 'gun free zone'.... :o :o :o

On top of that, he didn't even have a concealed-carry license.... :o

Indiana is one of those awful places where as long as you are a law-abiding adult, you can legally carry a concealed handgun in public....even when a business declares itself a 'gun-free zone'. The only law is that if you are spotted and asked to leave, you have to leave or you will be guilty of trespassing.

I'm sure the Moms Demand Action types wish he had been spotted and evicted, so he wouldn't have "endangered bystanders" by interfering with the mass-murderer... :roll:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I reckon we'll see where this goes. Maybe the wind will shift a bit on "gun free zones" after this reality check.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

TraderVic wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:40 am I reckon we'll see where this goes. Maybe the wind will shift a bit on "gun free zones" after this reality check.
I have faith the anti's will not pay any attention to this.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

JimT wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:56 am
TraderVic wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:40 am I reckon we'll see where this goes. Maybe the wind will shift a bit on "gun free zones" after this reality check.
I have faith the anti's will not pay any attention to this.
Ditto...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most news media wont cover this story because they'd have to add how the shooter was stopped, and that wont fit their agenda well.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Again Proof ! It takes a good man with a gun , to stop a bad man with a gun !
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

I was actually surprised the media even ran with this. My guess is the high visibility of the incident, they couldn't ignore it.......anymore.
:roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad they did run it. That 22 year old undoubtedly saved lives.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:01 am
....but the armed citizen was a BAD GUY....he was carrying a gun in a 'gun free zone'.... :o :o :o
Turns out, he was legally carrying a gun in a 'gun free zone'.

From one of the online news articles...

The incident also raises questions regarding the interaction between state law and the rights of companies and businesses to ban weapons on their properties. The shooting comes just weeks after the Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb signed a bill into law repealed the state's handgun permit requirement. Now, anyone 18 years of age or older who is not legally prohibited from firearm possession may generally carry a concealed handgun in public.

The law conflicts with the policy of Simon Property Group, the owner of the Greenwood Park Mall, which prohibits guns on its properties, according to its website. The Indianapolis-based company was unavailable for comment on Monday.

According to Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita, private businesses and property owners may restrict gun owners from carrying a weapon on their property. Even so, it is generally not against the law to ignore a 'no firearms' sign at a private business, he wrote in the state's Gun Owners' Bill of Rights before the weekend shooting.

Rokita said the only consequence from ignoring a company's ban may come only after a direct warning to someone carrying a firearm on the property: "You may commit criminal trespass for entering a business after you have been denied entry or have been asked to leave," the bill of rights reads.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TraderVic wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:37 am I was actually surprised the media even ran with this. My guess is the high visibility of the incident, they couldn't ignore it.......anymore.
:roll:
My bet is they ran with it before realizing the outcome did not fit "the narrative"... :roll: :evil:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The best outcome in a horrific situation.

Dead shooter. Kudos to the guy who stopped the carnage.

-Stretch
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, not surprisingly some of the "loony left" are really upset that this guy is being called a "good Samaritan" after all. I guess they wish more people would die so they could push their gun control narrative.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-control- ... -samaritan

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Knowing some people who were there, I'm hearing (second and third-hand) that the guy who stopped the shooter was being 'doxed' anyway, and getting threats from the peace-loving, non-violent, 'inclusive' folks who advocate 'common sense' gun control, so he decided he may as well let his name be released publicly. That's pretty sad, but typical behavior from the political left.

Guy Relford (aka "The Gun Guy") is a great guy and thankfully will be representing Dicken. https://www.wibc.com/show/gun-guy/

It sounds like Dicken had great control and engaged the killer from "quite a distance" successfully. Of course the anti-gun wackos are saying he "endangered innocent people" by doing so, and evidently would have preferred the Mall's anti-gun policies had prevailed, and he not been armed in the 'gun-free zone'.

A reminder to all of us that we should be vigilant, and we should practice, practice, practice. Stuff like this can happen, and there never seems to be the obligatory 'scary music' warning us in advance like in the movies... :|
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Hopefully this won't affect this young man in a terrible way. My first was when I was barely 21 years old and we did not have this social media insanity that we have today. Now I imagine he is recieving all kinds of vile and hideous feedback.

Sounds like he did the right thing in the right way and I'll bet the other people in that mall who were in close proximity and certain danger do not wish that he was not there and that he did not act immediately.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of our local TV stations (ABC affiliate) posted on their web page the report of this incident. The headline was, "Gun toting good Samaritan stops mall shooter." I was infuriated with their description of the CWL holder as "gun toting" and seems almost everyone else who replied also was! The responses by people to their stupid headline were great as they condemned and really laid into the ABC station for the way they worded the headline, and the content inside their story also.
I only hope that all the negative responses by people makes them think about how they word things; but I doubt they'll change in the future.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Our police chief actually made it a point to 'correct the record' that Dicken returned fire NOT "within one to two minutes" of the murderer's first shot, BUT WITHIN 15 SECONDS......!!!

1. Some pretty fast response to say the least, and
2. Interesting how the police chief made it a point to issue a 'correction' to the news stories on that fine point.

Most of the cops in Indiana are pretty pro-gun, so perhaps they just want to make sure the public realizes how many people were shot within those 15 seconds, and how BAD it could have been had even another minute elapsed.

WIBC is a good local station FM 93.1, for coverage, and is streaming on the internet. The Tony Katz show(s) are VERY pro-gun.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:33 am It sounds like Dicken had great control and engaged the killer from "quite a distance" successfully.
Glad he shot well, as according to what an old WWII artillery man once told me...

"If the enemy is in range -- so are you!"

This could have been SO much worse, especially if the perp did have a full 2 to 3 minutes to shoot...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

So a 22 year old man .. with no military or police training .. stopped an active shooter within seconds of the shooter starting to fire on people. An untrained man with handgun did what 400 police officers with all kinds of equipment were unable to do in the Uvalde school.

To my suspicious mind the Ulvalde situation sounds like much more than mere incompetence.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:51 pm So a 22 year old man .. with no military or police training .. stopped an active shooter within seconds of the shooter starting to fire on people. An untrained man with handgun did what 400 police officers with all kinds of equipment were unable to do in the Uvalde school.

To my suspicious mind the Ulvalde situation sounds like much more than mere incompetence.
And he did so firing his first shot at 40-50 yds.! Not many people under the stress of that moment could have hit the target at that distance. And he fired two more shots that also struck the shooter. That's a young man who has great shooting skills, and stayed calm enough to head towards the threat and neutralize it.
But there's more to this story than the news has reported. (of course!) Indiana is a right to carry state, so the citizen who took out the shooter DID NOT have a CWL. He was legally carrying under the laws there, without a CWL. Which is even better that the right to carry law worked well in this instance.
Here's a great story of latest updates:

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/cr ... ?fs=e&s=cl
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

they're saying he's a not a good guy because he violated the "gun free zone" rules at the mall...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10 pm But there's more to this story than the news has reported. (of course!) Indiana is a right to carry state, so the citizen who took out the shooter DID NOT have a CWL. He was legally carrying under the laws there, without a CWL. Which is even better that the right to carry law worked well in this instance.
You are correct. The title I wrote to this post was in error. Nice to see more come out about it. Those who complain about him carrying in the mall against mall regs are sick, hopeless individuals.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:28 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10 pm But there's more to this story than the news has reported. (of course!) Indiana is a right to carry state, so the citizen who took out the shooter DID NOT have a CWL. He was legally carrying under the laws there, without a CWL. Which is even better that the right to carry law worked well in this instance.
You are correct. The title I wrote to this post was in error. Nice to see more come out about it. Those who complain about him carrying in the mall against mall regs are sick, hopeless individuals.
I disregard any signs stating I can't carry. They might as well put up a sign stating "Open season on humans, no guns in here!"
They have no idea I'm carrying, and that's the way I always want it no matter where I am.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am I disregard any signs stating I can't carry. They might as well put up a sign stating "Open season on humans, no guns in here!"
They have no idea I'm carrying, and that's the way I always want it no matter where I am.
If it is concealed properly, who is gonna know? I have carried a handgun for most of the time since I was 16. There were no concealed carry laws where I lived back in the 1960's. But I figured it was worth having .. and it was a few times. When I got married and we began a family I made sure my wife was armed also.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Eight out of Ten shots hit a moving target that was likely actively shooting back, at 40 yards.

Pretty impressive. God was guiding his hands and his bullets, I'm thinking.

Fortunately, southern Indiana is one of those places where the 'gun culture' is such that a HUGE number of adults carry concealed handguns. I'd say it is more the norm than the exception, but I'm sure it's not over 50%. Still, I'm sure it is at least 10-15%, at least of the patients and coworkers I know. The main exceptions are people whose employer prohibits CCW, and even with that, about half the time the employee just carries anyway.

I wish employers who prohibit CCW were held liable for any harm that comes to employees or customers on their premesis, just as they would be held liable for fire-related deaths if they prohibited sprinklers or fire extinguishers in their buildings.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Holding them liable if they prohibit guns sounds like the right idea.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is 'bout right :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Blaine wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:08 pm This is 'bout right :(
Good one Blaine!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep.

1 bad guy + 376 trained and heavily armed cops = 19 dead
1 bad guy + 1 citizen without license or training = 3 dead

I thought about coming up with a realistic drill to see if I could come remotely close to what that guy did, so I went back to the range, and I shot at the 12" gong from 40 yards, and did manage to hit it nine of ten times.....but as far as I could tell the gong was neither moving nor shooting at me... :|

According to this new story Dickens actually did have a permit, but the other interesting part was they interview a local range owner and he shoots 10 shots at a torso target, hitting seven out of 10 at 30 ft, which the new story said was "similar to what Dickens did".

https://youtu.be/r5eNFMXbqzc

Somehow I thought 40 yards was 120 ft. Maybe it's the new math.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Common core math.
That is why protractors, rulers, and chalk are banned. Weapons of Math Instruction.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:06 pm Yep.

1 bad guy + 376 trained and heavily armed cops = 19 dead
1 bad guy + 1 citizen without license or training = 3 dead

I thought about coming up with a realistic drill to see if I could come remotely close to what that guy did, so I went back to the range, and I shot at the 12" gong from 40 yards, and did manage to hit it nine of ten times.....but as far as I could tell the gong was neither moving nor shooting at me... :|

According to this new story Dickens actually did have a permit, but the other interesting part was they interview a local range owner and he shoots 10 shots at a torso target, hitting seven out of 10 at 30 ft, which the new story said was "similar to what Dickens did".

https://youtu.be/r5eNFMXbqzc

Somehow I thought 40 yards was 120 ft. Maybe it's the new math.
I was positing to myself that it might have been 40 feet, not yards. But, regardless, it does not take anything away from this feat of marksmanship under threat of return fire.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

JimT wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 am
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:52 am I disregard any signs stating I can't carry. They might as well put up a sign stating "Open season on humans, no guns in here!"
If it is concealed properly, who is gonna know? I have carried a handgun for most of the time since I was 16. There were no concealed carry laws where I lived back in the 1960's. But I figured it was worth having .. and it was a few times. When I got married and we began a family I made sure my wife was armed also.

bingo Jim
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Such a great response from the mall owners.... :roll:

https://youtu.be/SVsWaOsKqw8

So the killers, who will disobey all gun laws anyway, will supposedly NOT show up with guns and kill people, because they might get banned from the mall, and everyone will be 'safe' because the good guys will be disarmed since they don't want to get banned from the mall... :roll:

THIS 'good guy' just doesn't go to malls.

I like gun stores, hardware stores, and book/music stores, and malls never have much in those categories.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:58 am .
Such a great response from the mall owners.... :roll:

https://youtu.be/SVsWaOsKqw8

So the killers, who will disobey all gun laws anyway, will supposedly NOT show up with guns and kill people, because they might get banned from the mall, and everyone will be 'safe' because the good guys will be disarmed since they don't want to get banned from the mall... :roll:

THIS 'good guy' just doesn't go to malls.

I like gun stores, hardware stores, and book/music stores, and malls never have much in those categories.
It's simply more proof that stupid has taken over and is influencing everything.