How to clean "Brass" receiver?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tallboy
Levergunner

How to clean "Brass" receiver?

Post by Tallboy »

I just got this Winchester 94 Centennial from 66'.

I don't know what kind of mixture this is, but I know it's not real brass... What if I used something like this (Brasso) on it?

I don't want to scratch or stain it, but rather get all the decades of dirt and grime out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How to clean "Brass" receiver?

Post by 44shooter »

Pretty sure that’s an abrasive and generally not advised on firearms as far as collectibility. But commemoratives aren’t generally that collectible any way so it’s your call
Tallboy
Levergunner

Post by Tallboy »

44shooter wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:17 pm Pretty sure that’s an abrasive and generally not advised on firearms as far as collectibility. But commemoratives aren’t generally that collectible any way so it’s your call
What would be the highest quality product to use then?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I believe that may be plating. I would try it on some inconspicuous part like the inside of the buttplate first. Sometimes polishing plated surfaces can be problematic. While Brasso is very mildly abrasive, as are things like Flitz, it still pays to try it discreetly first.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

According to various online sources, those 66 Centennials are gold plated . . . If that's really the case I would avoid any sort of abrasive polish like Brasso.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1966/04/18/m ... collectors

http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_centennial_66.htm
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I'm thinking that "Gold" -- if it is plated -- would not tarnish or discolor.

I've always used Never Dull for polishing brass, and have never seen any scratches on what I've used it on.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's quite possible there's a protective coating sprayed on that receiver, and it's the coating that's turning off color. If that's the case nothing you apply to it will change the appearance, and if you strip the coating it might harm whatever the finish is underneath.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I’d just call it patina and then call it good.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

To be honest I think you would have to do some serious polishing to do any damage with brasso!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd actually try just a good washing with liquid dish soap and a washcloth first; you'd be surprised what it can get off, and it won't hurt anything.

Of course dry it all off well after, because the other parts would rust if left damp.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have the Short Rifle version of that rifle. It is a BRASS plating over steel. They are reputed to have a coating over the plating. If you want to try polishing it, I'd use NeverDull. I've never bothered with mine. I prefer the patina it's acquired.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would probably wipe it with a rag sprayed down with G96 and call it good. Doesn’t look bad to me.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have a uberti 1866 yellowboy. I use it every weekend, usually both saturday and sunday for a match. Normally that means 60 rounds per day.... of black powder rounds. I can not abide a dirty gun. So, it is cleaned with Flitz and a soft cloth after each match, along with a good scrub of the barrel and internals. After 11 years, still looks new and shines like a diamond. It has no engraving so I can not tell you how it is to work out of the engraving. But I would suggest you might give it try. I also use it on stainless vaqueros to polish them up.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

buckeyeshooter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:03 am I have a uberti 1866 yellowboy. I use it every weekend, usually both saturday and sunday for a match. Normally that means 60 rounds per day.... of black powder rounds. I can not abide a dirty gun. So, it is cleaned with Flitz and a soft cloth after each match, along with a good scrub of the barrel and internals. After 11 years, still looks new and shines like a diamond. It has no engraving so I can not tell you how it is to work out of the engraving. But I would suggest you might give it try. I also use it on stainless vaqueros to polish them up.
I've used Flitz on my blued guns also for decades, and it works on them too, and no harm to blued finishes. It's the only thing I've found that takes burnt fouling off the face of cylinders on sixguns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I use a product called ULTRA FINISH. Auto parts store is only place ive found it. I use it on stocks, metal work. Once just for the heck of it I ran a polyurethane finish out to 1200 grit normally I do finishes to 400, then did the Ultra Finish this box is soooo smoooth ya cant pick it up with your fingertips.
Oh and best of all a cotton ball is all you need to apply.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The mildest you could go would be regular Pledge and a micro fiber cloth. I've used that on many different finishes including my Henry Big Boy "gold" receiver. Never scratched anything yet. Just a dab will do ya :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I did look at the photo's up close and expanded. They do look like the finish (plated) and was coated with a clear coat. Seen the same thing happen with motorcycle parts over aluminum and other things. Not saying I'm 100% correct here, just saying, it looks like the same thing. Some of the steps you would take would only make it worse, so be careful! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel