High Living !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

High Living !

Post by Ray »

https://sixshootercommunity.com/forum/i ... p?id=61511

And most excellent photography.....
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: High Living !

Post by Blaine »

Cool! :)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Indeed. Been too long since I played with a cap and ball ...
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I think it was John Wayne once said...if you have to wear BOTH belt and suspenders you can't even trust your own pants! Might have been someone else. :?
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I heard the suspenders were to hold your pants up and belts were to hold you sidearm up ??
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bronco wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:15 am I heard the suspenders were to hold your pants up and belts were to hold you sidearm up ??
Belt and Suspenders have to work really hard to hold up a 3rd Model Dragoon that weighs a bit over 4 pounds! It's a bit larger than SAA!
IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, does the Dragoon rammer ever come loose from recoil like the Walker rammers do?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:06 am Jim, does the Dragoon rammer ever come loose from recoil like the Walker rammers do?
No. That was one of the first improvements they made on the Dragoons.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

is the Dragoon a refinement of the Walker or does it have a different parentage? i might have read somewhere that the Walker was carried by the Rangers, sometimes several at a time. Don't know if it's true or not.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:32 pm is the Dragoon a refinement of the Walker or does it have a different parentage? i might have read somewhere that the Walker was carried by the Rangers, sometimes several at a time. Don't know if it's true or not.
The Walker was used during the war with Mexico and some Rangers carried them after that as I understand it. The Walker had the habit of dropping the loading lever on firing meaning you couldn't cock the gun until the lever was put back in place. The Walker also was known for blowing up with full power loads ... 60 gr. of black powder. I am not sure if that happened very often but it is written about. The Dragoon was introduced as an improvement on the Walker from what I have read. The 1st Model Dragoon had the oval cylinder stops of the Walker. The 2nd Model and 3rd Model were made with the cylinder stops that are common today. The early Dragoons also had a V mainspring but the 3rd Model had the single leaf mainspring. All 3 Models of the Dragoon held less powder than the Walker ... 50 gr. maximum I believe it was.

Mine is by Uberti and has chambers and barrel like the originals using a .457" round ball. They were listed as a .44 caliber .. apparently measuring the top of the lands instead of the bottom of the grooves.

I may be off a little on a few things. I am no expert on them.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Texas Ranger Museum in Waco has an exhibit which details how the Rangers tested the fresh from the factory Walkers, and that some did have catastrophic failures of the metal. They were the most powerful handgun of the time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:00 pm They were the most powerful handgun of the time.
I've read that the Walker was the most powerful handgun until the advent of the .357 Magnum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Walker commanded respect without even firing it....
600px-LDColtWalker-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

rev. t, if you're ever down to the quarry or the lumberyard and your dragoon colt falls out of your pocket onto the tracks and a train runs over it before you miss it, here is a video with a possible remedy.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83RN5tm7I8E
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 am rev. t, if you're ever down to the quarry or the lumberyard and your dragoon colt falls out of your pocket onto the tracks and a train runs over it before you miss it, here is a video with a possible remedy.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=83RN5tm7I8E
:lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

IF I ever have a Dragoon in my pocket you will be able to immediately tell because my pants will be down around my ankles. I don't think I have anything that would hold'em up with that much weight!

The snubby Walker at least doesn't have the loading lever dropping in your way after every shot. As a "snubby" it is still larger and heavier than a S&W Model 10.