45 acp sixgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

45 acp sixgun

Post by 4t5 »

other than cost of ammo possibly being cheaper, and maybe more available, whats the advantage of a single action in acp. Saw one on Ruger 's site , kinda like it.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 45 acp sixgun

Post by AJMD429 »

I think the main advantage is if the gun is one that uses full moon clips it can make for a faster reloading.

Also if a person doesn't reload and they can get a good supply of cheap 45 ACP ammo it makes a nice light plinking load vs heavier 45 Colt loads (although there is a lot of 45 Colt 'cowboy' ammunition commercially available that consists of light loads not that different from a 45 ACP).

I also think it's interesting how we justifiably consider the 45 ACP when fired from a 1911 or other semi-automatic pistol to be a definite 'man-stopper', yet denigrate it to a 'plinking' load when fired from a revolver; granted, compared to a 'Ruger only' 45 Colt load the 45 ACP is a step down, but when fired from a typical revolver the 45 ACP is going to have at least as much punch as fired from the typical semi-automatic, taking into consideration barrel length and cylinder gap and all that. Plus when fired from a revolver you can use pretty much any sort of funky bullet shape you want without worrying about reliable feeding from a magazine.

However, when the gun is also chambered in 45 colt, it seems like there is always quite a bit of accuracy loss when using the shorter cartridge. At least that's what I have experienced with my Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt/ACP (but I will admit I have not done any 45 ACP hand loading to see if that could be improved upon). The single-action revolvers usually are going to have a separate cylinder, so the bullet will be a little better controlled from the instant it leaves the cartridge case since it's not traveling through a longer-than-necessary chamber. I don't have enough experience trying to shoot accurately with the single action revolvers that have a 45 ACP cylinder that I can say how much if any accuracy is lost.

Certainly it seems like if you're going to get a gun in 45 Colt, and it also can be used for 45 acp, unless it makes the gun a lot more expensive or prone to malfunction, why not do it...?
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Commonality with semiautomatic pistol and semiautomatic long guns.

In my case I have both single action, double action revolvers, derringers and several action types of semiautomatic pistols. I have. A few long guns as well. Heck if someone would make, as a production item a levergun I’d own that one.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For me it would be loading. The Dillon is all set up for 45acp, but not 45 Colt. I always have more 45acp loaded at a given time. I would like a 45acp cylinder for my Colt SAA's for this reason.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Although unlike Old Win, I am set up for 45 Colt, I still have more 45ACP loaded than 45 Colt. I also have more C45S loaded than 45 Colt also. But, in reality only because of the limitations of my storage cans. I don't have any revolvers that can fire the 45 ACP so can't talk to the practicality of have a revolver chambered in it. But, given the versatility of the 45 Colt, I don't feel remiss in not having one!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yeah, similar ballistics and cheaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Has anyone mentioned Fun? Yeah, they're fun. I've had a Ruger convertible for about 10 years and thought the ACP cylinder was a neat option, turns out that I use it more than the Colt cylinder. I do load ACP field cartridges specifically for the SA and it doesn't lack for much compared to the old cavalry cartridge.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Big fan of the .45 Auto in revolvers. Have two Second Model Hand Ejectors, 1917s, 625 Model of 1989, Bisley Convertible and a .45 ACP cylinder for my Old Army.

The Bisley is my favorite. These targets were shot with .45 Colt ammo, the .45 ACP will shoot just a little tighter.
If I'm not packin' my SBH up at our cabin, it's going to be one of the above or a 1911 most likely.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
arclight
Levergunner

Post by arclight »

For me it's mostly a brass issue. I have maybe a coffee-can full of Colt brass, and 5-gallon buckets of ACP brass. If I lose an ACP in the field it's no big deal. Lose a .45 Colt case and we're calling out Search & Rescue for a grid search.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a S&W 625 4" that I shoot without the moon clips. Never had a FTF. Using standard pressure 230gr FMJs the brass falls out of the cyl with no problem. It's not my EDC so I don't worry about reload speed. One of these days maybe I'll get around to loading up the auto rim brass with the 255 grain hard casts. They won't have to go very fast. 800fps or less. A little mini-mountain gun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Mostly lower cost and higher availability of ammo and brass. The 45 Colt (the rimmed longer one) can be loaded with heavier bullets and/or powder charges. My first experience with 45 acp was from a convertible Blackhawk. I don’t recall my dad ever firing it with the other cylinder although I’m sure he did. I have a S&W model 22 Thunder Ranch that is really nice to shoot. It needs moon clips for extraction unless you use a pencil or 45 auto rimmed. In a single action that is loaded one at a time through a loading gate, it makes no difference ( between 45 Colt vs ACP)

Overall, 45 auto in a revolver is fun. Enough recoil to tell you are shooting something substantial but easily handled. Same big holes, comparatively cheap compared to 44 sp/mag and 45 Colt. Lots of excellent defense loads too
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I had a 325 for a time. It was snappier than I expected.
I'll pick up a 625 someday....

I wish I had gotten myself a 1917 revolver before the prices got so stupid.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

arclight wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:41 pm If I lose an ACP in the field it's no big deal. Lose a .45 Colt case and we're calling out Search & Rescue for a grid search.
Spot on!!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:30 pm Big fan of the .45 Auto in revolvers. Have two Second Model Hand Ejectors, 1917s, 625 Model of 1989, Bisley Convertible and a .45 ACP cylinder for my Old Army.

The Bisley is my favorite. These targets were shot with .45 Colt ammo, the .45 ACP will shoot just a little tighter.
If I'm not packin' my SBH up at our cabin, it's going to be one of the above or a 1911 most likely.

jb 8)
Oh, that ROA conversion looks FANTASTIC!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

samsi wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:10 pm ...and it doesn't lack for much compared to the old cavalry cartridge.
Exactly. Remember, when the Schofield was adopted as a secondary sidearm, it could not handle .45 Colt (unlike the reproductions today). But the Colt Single Action Army could handle both the .45 Colt as well as the .45 Schofield (after the latter's rim was changed and standardized). Troops liked the .45 Schofield. Still a solid man-stopper with less recoil than the .45 Colt. The Army liked it so much that when they put out the request for a new auto-loader, the specs mimicked the .45 Schofield round. And the .45 ACP was born. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I see almost no reason or advantage to owning a sixgun in .45ACP. I much prefer a semiauto in .45ACP, and I hate moon clips. They may make a revolver quicker to load, but still not as quick as dropping a magazine and stuffing in another. For me a revolver in .45 colt makes far more sense, and is far more preferable too.
A sixgun in .45ACP is the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. Back during WWI it made sense to get more guns in the field in a cartridge that was the same as the 1911. But just no reason today except for companies to sell more guns to people.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago I had Jim Stroh build me a .45 ACP sixgun on an Old Model Ruger .357 ...
45acp.jpg
45acp2.jpg
acp_cylinders.jpg
acp_muzzles.jpg
Later I sent it to Cosby Custom Guns and had the top strap made into a Colt SAA "look alike" ... and had the gun nickle plated.
acp8.jpg
acp5.jpg
acp1.jpg
acp2.jpg
loader.jpg
Note the "speedloader" ...

Chronographed
ACP_data.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FRA
Levergunner

Post by FRA »

I can't say there are any other advantages that you didn't identify, but they are fun to shoot. I have found both of my Ruger convertibles had undersized cylinder throats on one of the cylinders; as I recall, it was the .45ACP cylinder for both, which would account for the previously mentioned lack of accuracy. It must be common, because they were produced 10-15 years apart. I had John Gallagher install an interchangeable front sight so that I could leave my elevation on the Bowen rear set and swap front sight blades to go from my 335gr +P .45Colt to 230gr .45ACP.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

[/quote]

Oh, that ROA conversion looks FANTASTIC!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Thanks!

I thought the .45 Auto conversion might be a PITA to load/ unload, but it really isn't. Add the Belt Mountain quick change base pin and it's even easier. Target loads shoot a couple inches high, but a heavier charge and it's pretty close to POA. Great shooter for the "Slow Zombies".
:D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:45 am I see almost no reason or advantage to owning a sixgun in .45ACP. I much prefer a semiauto in .45ACP, and I hate moon clips. They may make a revolver quicker to load, but still not as quick as dropping a magazine and stuffing in another. For me a revolver in .45 colt makes far more sense, and is far more preferable too.
A sixgun in .45ACP is the answer to a problem that doesn't exist. Back during WWI it made sense to get more guns in the field in a cartridge that was the same as the 1911. But just no reason today except for companies to sell more guns to people.
Perhaps someone who already has say a 1911 may also want a sixgun that will fire the same cartridge. Also like almost everyone else and myself said, the ammo and brass is much less expensive. I bet S&W sells at least ten N frames in 45 auto for every one in 45 Colt. Ruger has made single actions in 45 acp and 9mm as far back as I can remember albeit in auxiliary cylinders. They have also made 10mm and 40 at various times. The S&W 610 will function with both 10mm and 40 through the same Cylinder with moon clips. Your point about selling more guns is valid. But isn’t that the business they are in? We all know the 45 acp won’t do anything ballistically that a 45 Colt or 44 Special cannot easily do. But I find it cool that I can load or by a bunch of 45 ACP and shoot it in a 1911, DA revolver, SA revolver, subcompact striker fired pistol, derringer, carbine etc.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

The one I saw was not a convertible, acp only. In this model do you guys think it was bored .451 as opposed to .454 ?
https://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/ ... -birdshead
Rumble.com/ hickock45
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Probably .452, I don't think any manufacturer has made a 454 bored 45 in a number of years.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

44shooter wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:03 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:45 am I see almost no reason or advantage to owning a sixgun in .45ACP. I much prefer a semiauto in .45ACP, and I hate moon clips. They may make a revolver quicker to load, but still not as quick as dropping a magazine and stuffing in another. For me a revolver in .45 colt makes far more sense, and is far more preferable too.
Perhaps someone who already has say a 1911 may also want a sixgun that will fire the same cartridge. Also like almost everyone else and myself said, the ammo and brass is much less expensive. I bet S&W sells at least ten N frames in 45 auto for every one in 45 Colt. Ruger has made single actions in 45 acp and 9mm as far back as I can remember albeit in auxiliary cylinders. They have also made 10mm and 40 at various times. The S&W 610 will function with both 10mm and 40 through the same Cylinder with moon clips. Your point about selling more guns is valid. But isn’t that the business they are in? We all know the 45 acp won’t do anything ballistically that a 45 Colt or 44 Special cannot easily do. But I find it cool that I can load or by a bunch of 45 ACP and shoot it in a 1911, DA revolver, SA revolver, subcompact striker fired pistol, derringer, carbine etc.
Perhaps. But I personally see no reason to mess around with a sixgun in .45ACP if one has a semiauto in the same? I'd prefer to buy a sixgun in .45 Colt, .44-40, .44 Special, etc., than purchase a revolver in a cartridge that I have a good semiauto in, and fumble around with those irritating moon clips. But even if the revolver didn't need moon clips, I'd still not want one in .45ACP.
Glad you enjoy it, but it makes no sense to me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

arclight wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:41 pm For me it's mostly a brass issue. I have maybe a coffee-can full of Colt brass, and 5-gallon buckets of ACP brass. If I lose an ACP in the field it's no big deal. Lose a .45 Colt case and we're calling out Search & Rescue for a grid search.
:lol: :lol: I'm the same way with ANYTHING!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Besides the little .45 ACP sixgun I had built on the Old Model Ruger .357 frame, I have a Freedom Arms Model 97 with both the .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinders. I rarely use the .45 Colt cylinder, the .45 ACP being much better suited to the small frame .. small loading window .. short ejector rod. And I can get all the power I need or want from the ACP. It's light, handy and accurate.
2.jpg
And it has a nice box!
A.After.JPG
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

1911 magazines make excellent speed loaders for the 45 ACP single actions. Just thumb them out and let the rounds drop in.

Bob
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bob Hatfield wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:28 pm 1911 magazines make excellent speed loaders for the 45 ACP single actions. Just thumb them out and let the rounds drop in.

Bob
YESSIR! They work quite well. :D