Savage is building 1911s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Savage is building 1911s

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just read about this this morning. It's kind of a saturated market if you ask me, and their starting MSRP is $1,350. But I wish them well.
Of course, if they brought back the 1907 ...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/sava ... l-pistols/
JimT
Shootist

Re: Savage is building 1911s

Post by JimT »

It's been years since I had one built by Colt. I love the old military issue guns but man, they break the bank! When you can buy a decent one made in the Philippines or Turkey for $400 it makes it easier on a budget. But I still like the old Colts ....... -sigh-
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm also puzzled that Savage, or anyone else decided to jump into the 1911 pool? Especially if they do so at the high end of prices. I think there's still a huge demand for a 1911 style pistol, but doubt sales will be high if it's over $1000. Seems like most gun buyers are gobbling up the lower end 1911's that sell closer to $600 than the ones costing twice that amount.
Of course I think everybody should own a 1911 style handgun, so I'm glad there's another option out there.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Must have alot of YES MEN on the board. I would think they would have done a much better business if they brought back the Model 99 or came out with a new carbine levergun!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JimT wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:42 am It's been years since I had one built by Colt. I love the old military issue guns but man, they break the bank! When you can buy a decent one made in the Philippines or Turkey for $400 it makes it easier on a budget. But I still like the old Colts ....... -sigh-
The Rock Island 1911’s I’ve had my hands on have all seemed decent or better . Not to say I’ve shot all I had my hands on either . But I have shot the Armsco Rock Islands at Armsco’s ranges in several locations in the Philippines . Believe it or not it’s cheaper to buy a yuck Glock in the Philippines than it is to get the least expensive RIA 1911 . Most of the folks there prefer a 9mm I might add and everytime I go to their range and rent a 1911 45 I get funny looks , one guy called me a John Wayne cowboy lols !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yes .. the Rock Island 1911's seem to be well made. My son-in-law bought a Rock Island .22 Magnum "sort of 1911" ... Looks like a 1911 until you look closely .. but it is very well made ... accurate and looks good. I needed to replace a slide stop on a 1911 and ordered a Rock Island one. When it came I was surprised to find it was made in Israel. And it was hard! To fit it I had to use a fine stone. No complaints with it though. It has worked well.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They way things are $1300 is a good price, doubt ya could buy a frame, slide and the other 30 odd parts, fit & finish (if ya can find the parts) for that amount.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I grew up shooting 1911s and they will always be my favorite to shoot. Between my dad and I we have a couple dozen and aside from my National Match I have the most fun with one of the Turkish/ SDS 1911A1. From a few feet away, it's hard to tell it from a real GI issued A1. I bought a pair of them when they were $400 a copy, but I've been seeing ads at $329-$369.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've heard good things about the Turkish 1911's.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Some of the Turks build a nice 1911. I had a Tisas/SDS Commander that was accurate and dependable for just over $400.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A friend of my older brother (and eventually dear friend and 'firearms mentor' of mine) let me shoot my first "man's gun" - a 1911 - around age 9 or 10, and then of course a Springfield 1903 later, etc., and that left me forever impressed with "old slabsides"...

It wasn't exactly easy or pleasant for my little-kid hands, but it was way mo' betta' than the 22 LR rifles and pistols I'd shot up until then.

Ironically I grew up to have long enough fingers that now a 1911 is sort of too small and skinny for me to shoot comfortably or accurately, so I prefer the double stack. The increase in girth is only something like three sixteenths of an inch versus my regular 1911, but it is more rounded, kind of like a revolver grip. If you haven't tried a double stack 1911, you might want to, because it's definitely nice if you have long fingers or a skinny hand.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In Range TV reviewed the TSIAS 1911A1 today (YouTube). Ran like a champ. Also was surprisingly accurate (surprising, as being a clone of the WWII issue, you know the sights leave a lot to be desired)!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:40 pm ...one guy called me a John Wayne cowboy lols !
And didn't realize he was complimenting you!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

BUL makes a very nice budget 1911.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I was carrying a 1911 on a daily basis I'd consider buying one of the Rock Island, or Turkish versions. I'd hate to daily carry any of the three I have now as they're all nice guns with too much value to consider banging them around with daily carry use.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Would have like to have one of the CMP 1911 but all the stuff and hoops to get one is not for me. Had a SA INC .
Shot well but now I find myself wanting anouther.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:02 pm Would have like to have one of the CMP 1911 but all the stuff and hoops to get one is not for me. Had a SA INC .
Shot well but now I find myself wanting anouther.
I also looked at getting a CMP 1911 long ago, but decided too many hoops to jump through. I did eventually end up with a 1943 dated Remington Rand that's setup for competition, and was used at Camp Perry on the Marine/Navy team.

And my 1964 dated Colt .45:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm If I was carrying a 1911 on a daily basis I'd consider buying one of the Rock Island, or Turkish versions. I'd hate to daily carry any of the three I have now as they're all nice guns with too much value to consider banging them around with daily carry use.
When I was carrying most every day I had a pair of two tone Kimbers I carried a 5” and a 4 1/4” . Of course not at the same time .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:17 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm If I was carrying a 1911 on a daily basis I'd consider buying one of the Rock Island, or Turkish versions. I'd hate to daily carry any of the three I have now as they're all nice guns with too much value to consider banging them around with daily carry use.
When I was carrying most every day I had a pair of two tone Kimbers I carried a 5” and a 4 1/4” . Of course not at the same time .
I hate to carry either of these two .45's, or my S&W 745 IPSC, since all are too nice and too valuable to chance harm. Then there's those few times when I have to leave one in the car if a place is not approved to conceal carry. I hate leaving a gun in the car, but especially a valuable gun!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 Colt 1911s, 3 Armsco 1911s and one "parts" gun built with GI parts on an Interarms frame. The first Armsco 1911 was a Taylor's & Sons "Tactical". I won at a Wild Bunch competition, one of the 1st Texas State Championships... luck of the draw type thing. After tuning it turned into my favorite 1911, outside of my Colt Commander (EDC). In fact, I liked it so much that I bought another and had it tuned to match. I bought a RIA 1911 off Old Ironsights a few years ago and it's just as well made. My "parts gun" was a surplus Remington Rand slide and an Interarms frame I bought, then finished off with mostly Wilson Combat internals (when I rebuilt it after wearing out the GI issue parts). I had it cerakoted, added a flat mainspring housing, a beavertail grip safety, 3-dot sights and a compensator... easily the nicest shooting 1911 I own. The two Taylor's have only been tuned and a set of plain sight from Brownell's that mimic the GI sights, but about ¼" taller. Makes for a fabulous difference. After 40 years of duty, off-duty use, I recently had the Combat Commander refinished and new Novak sights added. It eats Speers "flying ashtrays" like popcorn thru a goose! Or any 200 grain load! My competition Wild Bunch load is a 200 grain RFN @ approx 800 fps, 3.8 grains of Clays.
"Parts Gun"
DSCN1435.JPG
Taylor's
DSCN1434.JPG
Combat Commander
DSCN1436.JPG
DSCN1437.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, I have heard over and over that the Philippines 1911s are well-made for the dollar and good value. Also have heard and read that Armscor/RIA has very good customer service. The Turks know how to use CNC machining to make a very sound 1911 as well. Not as sure about their customer service, but they seem to be gaining in reputation each year.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pm I grew up shooting 1911s and they will always be my favorite to shoot. Between my dad and I we have a couple dozen and aside from my National Match I have the most fun with one of the Turkish/ SDS 1911A1. From a few feet away, it's hard to tell it from a real GI issued A1. I bought a pair of them when they were $400 a copy, but I've been seeing ads at $329-$369.

jb 8)
Dang! those are a beauty. Wish I had one. Wait a min, I do. :D only my is from taylor tactical made in the Philippines. only 550 bucks new. has the gi sights, which i need to change out to taller sights, especially the front ones. those are peened in. any idea where i can get better sights for it. i would like adjustable rear sights and bead front sights, or something similar.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I just had a new set installed on my Delta.
When I bought the Delta, it had a set of fiber optics on it. I know some people like them, but I can't stand 'em. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My S&W 745 is basically a 1911 design, but looks a little different. But it feels the same in my hands and shooting. I had S&W send me a set of 4 recoil springs for it back in the late 1980's when I was using it for bullseye matches. Back then a simple phone call to S&W and they sent the set for free! The 745 is a handgun I love as much or more than my true 1911 style guns. I like the firing pin block safety, and the beefy extractor setup better than my 1911's have.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Is the Savage example just going to be a "rebranding" of a current maker I wonder? Seems ridiculous to tool up in this market.
There won't ever be a day when the 1911 won't be my favorite auto pistol. My main carry is a 30 year old Colt Enhanced LW Commander. I have an old satin nickel Colt Combat Commander. My full size is an old Springfield Mil Spec that I've done all manner of work to. I don't think there is anything left factory but the slide and frame. Wonderful shooter. I sold a Springfield Loaded Micro Compact and Colt Officers, as I just cant do the short grips. I gave a good shooting Argentine to my oldest boy. I seemed to be low on my supply of 1911s.
On a whim, I gave a buddy 350 bucks for one of the Philippine Commander sized pistols to use as a beater when working around camp or in the woods. The slide to frame fit was fantastic, and tighter than my Colt. The two biggest issues with it were the sights shot quite low, and the extractor had too little tension. Some math and a file fixed the sights. A WW2 era GI extractor I had in my parts dropped in and tuned it up. The trigger is pretty good actually, and I kinda like it. I wouldn't pour a bunch of cash in it, but it doesn't really seem to need anything now. I think if you're willing to live with what they are, they are a good value.
Last edited by OldWin on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Speaking of Springfields, this was a mil spec model. Has sights upgrade with something called a group gripper kit. It is tighter and more accurate than the two nickel Colts I had. The Ruger is also a 45 ACP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The RIAs are factory capable of handling +P loads, but a steady diet of them is not recommended. Sounds reasonable to me. Spring replacement is equal to the intervals on any other brand that I have seen. Accuracy has been as good as I can shoot. For most of us, that means that the gun is more accurate than the shooter. Playing around with some cheap lipstick used to determine if the barrel locks up into the slide as well as could be, the lipstick was squished out from the slide lug cutouts on the barrel in an even and complete matchup. That tells me that I have one which is well mated for the barrel to the slide. A tighter bushing might improve accuracy, but I am not good enough to be able to tell. Trigger pull is as good as I want. It was a bit stiff up to about 1,000 rounds. Then it suddenly went to almost what I would consider perfect. Mine will need another set of springs before long. Wolff springs have been a perfect drop in fit for me so far. So what if it is not as good as a top end 1911! I am happy with it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rossim92 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:19 am
2ndovc wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:14 pmI grew up shooting 1911s and they will always be my favorite to shoot. Between my dad and I we have a couple dozen and aside from my National Match I have the most fun with one of the Turkish/ SDS 1911A1. From a few feet away, it's hard to tell it from a real GI issued A1. I bought a pair of them when they were $400 a copy, but I've been seeing ads at $329-$369.
jb 8)
Dang! those are a beauty. Wish I had one. Wait a min, I do. :D only my is from taylor tactical made in the Philippines. only 550 bucks new. has the gi sights, which i need to change out to taller sights, especially the front ones. those are peened in. any idea where i can get better sights for it. i would like adjustable rear sights and bead front sights, or something similar.
Brownell's. Harrison's "Retro Rear Sight" and MGW "Wide Front Sight". Just like your GI sights, except taller and wider! Order yourself the Staking Tool and install them yourself... Mine went back to the gunsmith 3 times and I finally got the tool and did it myself... Apparently I ain't as afraid of whacking on 'em as he was!
DSCN1440.JPG
Factory RIA on left & Brownell's above on right. It's more of a difference side by side than it looks here. Biggest difference is in height of front and dept and width of notch in rear.
Last edited by Griff on Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

ty
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30