"it's unloaded..."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

"it's unloaded..."

Post by AJMD429 »

This is a good video clip to show beginning shooters.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vySG-tGlSPI?feature=share

Sometimes I actually startle a new shooter by slipping a cartridge into a gun they just 'cleared' when they aren't looking (I retain control of the gun in my own hand) and then I ask them as if I'm double checking, "...This is unloaded, isn't it...?".

Inevitably since they just cleared it they say yes, at which point I nonchalantly point it safely downrange and pull the trigger to de-tention any springs before putting the gun away and of course it makes a loud "bang...!" and becomes an 'educational moment'...

It's the most effective lesson when you are done shooting and putting the guns away and the student has already removed their hearing protection... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: "it's unloaded..."

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:12 amIt's the most effective lesson when you are done shooting and putting the guns away and the student has already removed their hearing protection... :twisted:
That's most cruel! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It's a good thing to reinforce in the mind. I've been present when people shot themselves with an "unloaded" gun and it ain't pretty.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:40 am It's a good thing to reinforce in the mind. I've been present when people shot themselves with an "unloaded" gun and it ain't pretty.
Dad constantly reminded us that more people have been shot with an unloaded gun than any other kind...

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

An old hunter safety instructor I taught with early on (about 1990 or so) used an empty 30-30 case with a primer in it to teach students how to ease the hammer of a lever action from full cock to uncocked. Every so often a careless student let the hammer slip. Guessing a few dirty underwear after that.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

One of my instructors said it's not a matter of WHY you have an A.D. it's a matter of WHEN. Learn from it and you'll be smarter for it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:34 am
AJMD429 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:12 amIt's the most effective lesson when you are done shooting and putting the guns away and the student has already removed their hearing protection... :twisted:
That's most cruel! :P
It is cruel. I had the exact same thing happen when I thought the shooting session was over. I took off my ears, bent over to pick up some brass when my buddy fired off a round from his Ruger Mini 14 about 3 feet from my head. The pain was excruciating and my hearing never fully returned.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My daughter is in her third year of nursing and recently treat her first GSW. Leaves an impression for sure! :shock: