Cold, Rainy Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Cold, Rainy Day

Post by JimT »

So I am trying to get ahead on making paper cartridges for the .36 and the .44 ...
IMG_5106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cold, Rainy Day

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good way to spend it, Jim. It's cloudy and cool here -- low of 38 this morning, but there is a rumor of sunshine later in the day. Have a Mississippi Roast humming along in the CrockPot and the house sure smells good.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Loading a couple boxes of BP shotshells!
DSCN1459[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Loading.44 Special for Arkansas.

Perfect day for this.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Cold & rainy here too. I'm busy casting bullets for my .25-20 and my .32-20.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Went from summer back to winter here in less than 48 hours. High Wednesday was 85 degrees; high today was 47, with lots of rain. Good day to catch up on several indoor projects, and contemplate the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior this Good Friday.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:27 am So I am trying to get ahead on making paper cartridges for the .36 and the .44 ...

IMG_5106.JPG
Hi Jim –

I found a couple pictures from 2021 of some of my paper cartridge reloading. Not a lot – I know I have more photos, I just can’t find them yet! Anyway, here is a comparison between a .44-caliber paper cartridge using a Johnston & Dow conical bullet from a Lee bullet mold special ordered by Mark Hubbs at Eras Gone Bullet Molds, versus the “Baby Dragoon” conical (same Lee/ERBM) in .31 caliber. Those cartridges are just TINY!. Hard to do so are so small!

Both of these use nitrated unbleached coffee filters. Those hold up better than cigarette paper, and using unbleached filters give them more of an “old-timey” look.

I took an old cigar box and turned it into a kit for making paper cartridges. You can see I incorporated a loading tray up top, a bin to hold formed paper cartridges, one for the tools, and one for the cast bullets. Works out nicely!

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Here is the kit in use:

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Those look great! I can't even imagine doing .31's. The .36's are small enough for me. :D I have a .31 and am content to shoot it without the paper cartridges.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, and I created a modified pattern of the paper cartridges that eliminates the need for a separate piece for the bottom. If you look at the middle section you can see cut coffee filter paper waiting to be "rolled", shaped like "T's". I find these easier to manipulate.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That's a great idea!! I am gonna try that. THANKS!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, Jay, that's an elegant setup you have there. I'll bet your tent was the tidiest one in Scout camp ... :lol:
I'm still trying to envision how you are using the T-shapes papers for the bottoms. :|
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:05 pm Wow, Jay, that's an elegant setup you have there. I'll bet your tent was the tidiest one in Scout camp ... :lol:
I'm still trying to envision how you are using the T-shapes papers for the bottoms. :|
LOL. Yes, I have a tinge of OCD when it comes to organization. :wink:

So the "cross" of the "T" is the body of the paper cartridge. It goes around the mandrel (cartridge former), The "tail" or "stem" of the "T" is what then folds up to form the base of the paper cartridge.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:47 pm That's a great idea!! I am gonna try that. THANKS!!
My pleasure! :D